Baby BMW Forum banner

Drying the car

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  racey1979 
#1 ·
Looking for ideas advice.

What do you guys use for drying the car without touching it.

Does anyone use a cordless leaf blower? Would it work?

#2 ·
I use filtered water first and then use combination of Huge drying towel from Polished Bliss that I either just lay on or pat dry. Then I dry all shuts and hidden areas with metro vac blaster hand held blower.

Would think leaf blower has two issues.

Not enough air velocity due to wide opening and also no filter, so just blowing through any dust in the air it's picking up.

#4 ·
Japper_M2 said:
I use filtered water first and then use combination of Huge drying towel from Polished Bliss that I either just lay on or pat dry. Then I dry all shuts and hidden areas with metro vac blaster hand held blower.

Not enough air velocity due to wide opening and also no filter, so just blowing through any dust in the air it's picking up.
Can i ask if you filter the water yourself and what do you use?

#5 ·
JohnsM135i said:
Japper_M2 said:

Can i ask if you filter the water yourself and what do you use?
I use the RaceGlaze 7L DI Filter for final rinse. Very hard water here at 450-475ppm so filter is essential.

#6 ·
#8 ·
In really hot weather where a streak free rinse is difficult i use the old flash system that was discontinued a few years ago, it filters the water in the gun as you rinse, its a great system no idea why they discontinued it, frustrating as filers are getting harder and harder to get your hands on. I cant imagine the shampoo is any good (never used it) but the rinse is great.

One for sale on ebay at the moment if you haven't seen the system before

#9 ·
Octavius said:
Drinking water ( bottled ) needs certain nutrients. Bottled water we drink is still 170-180ppm and so will still water spot badly.

Dedicated filters are the only way. Also if you live in a very hard water area like I do I can confirm that you need large replaceable media DI filters like RaceGlaze. The AutoGleam filters 30ppm plus 0ppm in line only lasted me 4-5 washes 😳😳

The RaceGlaze 7L gives me around 300L before replacing media. This is based on filtering 470ppm hard water. I use 20-25L for a final rinse. Tulson MB-115 media costs me £80 for 25L.

#11 ·
I recently bought a workshop blower for £20 off ebay, brilliant to dry the car, gets all the drips out of the wheels mirrors and grill, essential if you are going to wax or polish straight after washing as the annoying drips and spots are gone. Very impressive performance for small cost. Really great on the motorbike too gets all the drops off the fins and allen heads.

#12 ·
Agree ...try the Merry Tools adjustable blower on ebay it's superb for circa £25, it has more than enough puff to blow dry all the nooks and crannies plus delicate/complex wheels and coupled with a plush 'clean' quality drying towel (used gently) gives a fantastic finish minimising swirls and marring.

#13 ·
My answer to the first question is YES I do use a 2400W leaf blower straight after rinsing. We have a 2005 MX5 from new and blowing it dry has been the only way we have ever dried it and she looks like new not a single swirl mark and all the glass is spotless I'm just noting its an MX5 because I have been doing now for 14 years so its a long time and proved not to have caused any problems . I have no hesitation to do this on the new M240i

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.