Baby BMW Forum banner

Chamois drying..

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  dailydoggy 
#1 ·
My mate put me onto one of these recently after watching the car washers and detailers at the local BMW dealership clean his M4 one of them produced this strange looking chamois to dry the car with and my mate was bedazzled by it and how it absorbed water and dried the car.. So he asked the dude what it was who said it is called "The Absorber" so i bought one and it is true this is the best chamois you will ever own, they are just superb and way better than any traditional leather chamois...

Not cheap but ya get what ya pay for though and bits don't come off it like a leather chamois and it holds far more water aswell..

Ya ring it out and keep it moist in it's container when finished...

#2 ·
Looks good, tried literally dozens of drying towels/aids and my personal favourite is the Gyeon Silk Dryer. Doesn't look much when you first pick it up but they way it absorbs water is mind boggling, zero streaks too....had it nearly 12 months and its still like new....thank God the leather chamois days are over

You're probably showing early signs of detailing disease BTW, first it was the Bilt Hamber and now this....once it takes hold there's no going back :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

#3 ·
racey1979 said:
dailydoggy said:
My mate put me onto one of these recently after watching the car washers and detailers at the local BMW dealership clean his M4 one of them produced this strange looking chamois to dry the car with and my mate was bedazzled by it and how it absorbed water and dried the car.. So he asked the dude what it was who said it is called "The Absorber" so i bought one and it is true this is the best chamois you will ever own, they are just superb and way better than any traditional leather chamois...

Not cheap but ya get what ya pay for though and bits don't come off it like a leather chamois and it holds far more water aswell..

Ya ring it out and keep it moist in it's container when finished...
Looks good, tried literally dozens of drying towels/aids and my personal favourite is the Gyeon Silk Dryer. Doesn't look much when you first pick it up but they way it absorbs water is mind boggling, zero streaks too....had it nearly 12 months and its still like new....thank God the leather chamois days are over

You're probably showing early signs of detailing disease BTW, first it was the Bilt Hamber and now this....once it takes hold there's no going back :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
My mate with the M4 is really anal at it and he wrote me a list of all the stuff he uses..Trouble with me is my attention span i soon lose interest in things and become bored so being a detailer is never going to happen.. :D

#4 ·
dailydoggy said:
and bits don't come off it like a leather chamois
I don't know anyone that would actually use a leather chamois on their car. Not since the 80's anyway.

That thing is basically a form of microfibre cloth, nothing special. I just get packs of the thick microfibre cloths and they can be washed easily and chucked when no good anymore.

#5 ·
#8 ·
barneyrubble said:
Each to his own - the idea is not to touch the paintwork as much as possible.

With the current BMW paint being so sh*t this gives me the least swirl marks possible for my way of cleaning. Others will have other ideas but I'm happy with mine
Not over impressed with the paintwork on my 140i to be honest for a BMW but that goes for them all these days i saw a brand new Audi the other day with truly shocking orange peel...

#9 ·
If it's of any use, I use a different form of air compressor to get water off my car; A Titan wet/dry shop vac from screwfix.
The input and output port are the same size so you can put the hose on the out. It gives a decent strength blast out of the end, especially with the crevice nozzle on and also heats the air slightly with heat from the motor and the compression of the air. When that's done and your're waiting for your wax to go off or whatever you can use it to vacuum the car out.
On top of that its a very capable vac so it seems like pretty good value!

#11 ·
barneyrubble said:
I don't use a cloth to dry my car anymore. I find this approach is much better:

First - do your final rinse using the open hose method (with filtered water) - for some reason it seems to leave a lot less water on the car

Filter:
Then use a blower to get rid of the residue. I use this:

Yep, my detailer uses a blower. The less you touch the paintwork the better :)

#12 ·
Ezzra said:
barneyrubble said:

First - do your final rinse using the open hose method (with filtered water) - for some reason it seems to leave a lot less water on the car

Filter:

Fecking lazy sod. You should be doing it yourself.

#13 ·
Octavius said:
Ezzra said:
barneyrubble said:

Filter:

Fecking lazy sod. You should be doing it yourself.
You're having a giraffe!

Lifes too short to be car cleaning :)

#15 ·
Octavius said:
Na mate. Too lazy or too much money. Why pay someone when you can do it yourself.
Either that or you're crap at cleaning cars.
I see. So if your toilet gets blocked you get your hands in the ****, rather than call a plumber?

By the way, how much money is too much? £100k, £500k, £1m?

#19 ·
Just an update for anybody wanting one of these synthetic chamois of all places Home Bargins is doin one for £1.49 in the same storage container affair it's 90% as good as the ones mentioned and still works very well cheap as chips rude not to have one as a spare.... :)

Its called a cleaning cloth or something strange on the description for it but it is a chamois...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.