Baby BMW Forum banner

Carpet shampooer or steamer

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
I fancy getting something to clean my cars carpets with. Should I get a shampooer or a steamer?

Also any advice on either? Suppose it needs to have suitable small headed attachments to fit a cars footwells and crevices?

#3 ·
Steam kills bacteria on contact, and that's what creates the odours. I then use a wet vac with a narrow head to get the moisture out. If it's a quick go over mats, I use Meguiars Carpet and Interior Cleaner, work it in with a Megs upholstery brush, and then get some proper elbow grease in with a microfibre to lift the dirt out. If they're really bad, a repeat, maybe twice is sufficient to get them pretty tidy. Wonderful stuff.

Careful of electrical systems with a steam cleaner, and of course yourself. It's ever so easy to scald yourself.

#4 ·
Don't use steam to try and remove dirt, by the very nature of the temperature needed to create steam, the risk will be that you distort the fibres.
Steam is fine for hard surfaces but can damage soft furnishings/fibres.

You can :
get the car interior valeted
or
buy a diy "shampoo'er", but remember that any shampoo/moose/foam used, will need to be thoroughly removed to avoid the carpets drying sticky, which will then just attract the dirt more quickly.

regards
Paul

#7 ·
#8 ·
pimpinyourmum said:
I fancy getting something to clean my cars carpets with. Should I get a shampooer or a steamer?

Also any advice on ? Suppose it needs to have suitable small headed attachments to fit a cars footwells and crevices?
Hello pimpinyourmum,
I recommend shampoo because it is easy to use, just scrub them with a stiff brush, rinse and hang vertically to dry them out. Wait until they dry. Your carpets are clean before putting the mats back in the car.

#9 ·
pimpinyourmum said:
I fancy getting something to clean my cars with. Should I get a shampooer or a steamer?

Also any advice on either? Suppose it needs to have suitable small headed attachments to fit a cars footwells and crevices?
Hi,
I have a steamer at my house and I have been using it for 6 months. In my opinion you should take a steamer too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.