Baby BMW Forum banner

Snow foam does it work?

12K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  simonb235 
#1 ·
So I have always been a bit skeptical about snow foam. How much does it actually help lift the dirt? Well I got a kit and I tried it. What I used:

Valetpro Ph neutral
AUTO RAE-CHEM Lance
Karcher pressure washer.

What I did:

Filled the 1l bottle on the lance with 2 inchs of snow foam. Then filled to 3/4 with water.
I then set the mixture to max foam and sprayed it on the car. Left it to dwell for 5 minutes.
Blasted it off. Waited for it to air dry and then took photos of what it has done.

Before it snowed

during snow: looks so cool!

after the snow melted :) this is just the affect of the snow. I have not washed it at this point.

I kinda run out of snow here but you can see where the snow got to it lifted a lot of the dirt.

Unfortunate the car wasn't that heavily soiled being washed weekly it isn't usual that bad, so the results aren't that dramatic. However it hopefully shows how well the snow foam lifts the dirt. It really did make the car so much easier to clean than without foaming it.

See less See more
#4 ·
I really rate snow foam. I'm really busy at the moment and couldn't spare enough time to wash my car but refuse to take it to the Poles. Problem was it was absolutely lathered in mud and grime as hadn't been done for about 6 weeks :redface: Anyway, I gave it a quick snow foam and pressure wash and it's perfectly presentable now. It's not perfect but from a distance it 100 times cleaner.

#6 ·
Snow foam does a great job of softening up all the crap on the car but does not leave a perfectly clean finish, hence you have to still do a hand wash after to get this result...

It does help with preventing more swirls done at the wash stage as a majority of the grit (which usually causes the swirls at this stage) is rinsed off with the foam!

I personally have been tempted to buy a lance and use snow foam but I'm lazy.. and know that the results from snow foaming alone will not leave the finish I'm looking for and I don't want to add another stage into my wash routine... I soften dirt with the hosepipe spray (which I know is not as effective as snow foam) before hand washing with lambswool mitt...

Again as I'm lazy I use a water filter to rinse eliminating using a drying towel which is another area which can marr the paintwork..

If someone does come up with a snow foam product that does leave a perfectly clean finish then I would definately invest in it :)

#8 ·
#11 ·
Snow foam alone does not remove dirt from your car, it needs to be part of a process to help removing the chance of inflicting swirls on your car.

Their is lots of hype surrounding foam and what it should or shouldn't be able to do - a long dwelling snow foam equally does not mean it's better than a short dwelling one at cleaning a car. The foam is to soak off loose dirt and drag particles off your paintwork to the floor as safely as possible.

If all you want to do is remove dirt and grime as quick as possible - use a Citrus Pre-Wash instead of foam. Valet Pros and Auto Finesses versions are excellent at this. Alternatively - use pre wash and foam to achieve as clean as possible bodywork before your wash mitt goes onto your car

#13 ·
JonD said:
James, have you ever used chemical guys no touch snow foam? Having watch the clips it looks impressive, however I'm always skeptical of all the hype.
No mate I haven't. Don't find too many samples about either! Going to be needing some new foam in the next month or so, I'll have a chat with Jen at Juicy to see if she can get me a sample and send you some..

Using CarChems foam at the moment - it's ok but I've had to add Citrus Power for winter duties as it's not strong enough on its own

#15 ·
sootyvrs said:
Q-Car said:
sootyvrs said:
I use a water filter to rinse eliminating using a drying towel which is another area which can marr the paintwork..
I didn't know this was an option?
What sort of filter system?
I use this system as used below although I just use for final rinsing without pressure washer :)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where did you get your filter from? :)

#16 ·
Dan116i said:
sootyvrs said:
Q-Car said:
I didn't know this was an option?
What sort of filter system?
I use this system as used below although I just use for final rinsing without pressure washer :)

Where did you get your filter from? :)
Away from home right now but I'm pretty sure i posted it on the for somewhere. Tapatalk is crap for searches lol

#17 ·
Raceglaze website and cleaningspot online catalogue has them. Used one at a friends place to wash crud off my motorbike. Worked well with hosepipe spray gun to rinse but so it should for £100. No idea if compatible with jet washer or not.

Aqua gleam also get good reviews and is circa half the price.

#19 ·
Gizmo555 said:
If I start using snow foam am I going to P my neighbour off ?
My drive slopes towards his so what happens to all the foam on the ground - will it float on to his drive or does it dissolve fairly well with washing water ?

Thanks
In the current weather, it turns to ice! So be careful! Normally it just soaks into the ground like water.

#21 ·
Blackbmw120d said:
I still use snow foam even if my cars look clean. It's surprising how much dirt it takes off the car and then followed by a citrus pre wash cleaner the actual wash is very easy and very safe regarding avoiding swirl marks on the paintwork.
The citrus pre-wash is what I'm going to look into this year. Get fed-up with baked on bug splats. I've seen this can make a world of difference.

#22 ·
Thanks.

Put in an order for the Citrus pre-wash (and skip snow foam for now) at remyroc (as well as a load of other stuff).

Used some citrus 'stuff' years ago from the 'Wax Wizard' for shifting brake dust and fly splats - I recall people raved about citrus then.

Thanks

Mark

#23 ·
I swear by the stuff now, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Loved using cherry snow foam from USC, really good but foam wasn't that thick.
Trying out Auto Finesse Avalanche at the moment, thicker foam but no cherry scent.

As per some of the others that commented its part of a system and not just a spray, rinse go product.
I'd also use the snow foam whether the car is filthy or not, integrated into my wash system, it's all done and dusted in two to three hours.

Will also be trying out the citrus pre wash at some stage too.

Bryan :)

#26 ·
I've never used snow foam but it does look like a good product. I've always just used 2BM but having ready what remyroc has said I might start using a citrus per wash to remove the top layer of grime. I'm already spending 2+ hours on a weekly wash so I'm unsure if I want to start adding in another stage of pre wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.