Baby BMW Forum banner

Bird poo stains - how to remove

14K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  MattyKHZ 
#1 ·
Washed the car today and noticed where a bird had poo'd on the car and it had dried that I have a stain that cannot be removed with the products I have.

Tried citrus pre-clean on it neat and it's still left there. If you rub your finger over it then it feels raised and sticky in comparison to the surrounding paintwork.

Tried some 'tar and splat' remover - again no joy.

Any advice please ?

Thanks

#4 ·
Use a good cutting compound and you can remove it by hand.

If you have some Autoglym paint renovator that should do the trick. Make sure you use straight lines, don't apply using circular motions.

#5 ·
Thanks all - can't believe it marked it so quickly. Never had the issue on previous cars/paintwork.

Just googling the Autoglym Paint Renovator and came across Meguirs ScratchX in some of the links - forgot I had that in the cupboard.

Is ScratchX better/worse than Autoglym ?

Thanks

#8 ·
Have you tried clay bar? I have found some that can be used with water instead of expensive lubricant

-------------------------
Monacoblau e87 1m

#9 ·
+1 for the ScratchX. Had some on Debs car that I was gonna do, but am buggered if I can find the spot now.

However, there was a weird patch on the paintwork near the passenger side rear view mirror, which looked and felt like there was no clear coat! Hit it with some scratchX and its ok now.

Also a vote for the clay. Junkman (check youtube) uses clay to remove the (majority) of etch marks. Think he then machine polishes the rest though.

#14 ·
Bird poo can ruin the paint completely. Get them off as soon as possible.

Also be careful how you do remove the poo as you can so easily scratch the paint doing so. You need to get the poo soaking wet before trying to remove it.

Years ago I had a big bird poo on my windscreen. I just jumped in the car, sprayed my windscreen washers and tried to get the blades to wash it off. It left scratches on my windscreen.

#16 ·
Watch out for 'undigested bits'. I wiped a newly laid wet birdlog off the bonnet of my car and the little blighter must have been eating nuts; I left a light scratch that I had to polish out.

#17 ·
id use a paint cleanser followed by a light machine polish with a minimum grade of abrasive compound, once removed amount of wax or sealant over the area.

Liam

#18 ·
Approached my car from the rear today and saw a few drops of poo on the boot. I keep a pack of windowlene wipes in the car for just such emergencies and started to wipe. However, when I got to the front, I quickly realised that only a hose pipe would be enough...

#20 ·
Forever cleaning bird c*** off the car. Black sapphire paint is so soft it seems to swirl and mark easily too. Neighbours must think I'm mad heading out there most days to clean it off before it dries on!

Taking the car abroad later this year, any tips for a solution / wipes to take with me to remove this and bugs on the go?

Cheers.

#21 ·
Thanks for the advice will try ScratchX

#22 ·
Place a tissue over the bird poo, spray it down with a bottle of shampoo and let it soak for a minute or two, then lift the poo off. Wipe down gently with wet wipe and then quick detailer :) seems like a lot of steps but with bird poo, the bird normally will have eaten gravel, dirt etc so its likely it'll scratch the paintwork if you just wipe it straight off.

#23 ·
AddySY said:
Place a tissue over the bird poo, spray it down with a bottle of shampoo and let it soak for a minute or two, then lift the poo off. Wipe down gently with wet wipe and then quick detailer :) seems like a lot of steps but with bird poo, the bird normally will have eaten gravel, dirt etc so its likely it'll scratch the paintwork if you just wipe it straight off.
That is comprehensive, cheers. Seems I need to get some quick detailer (and some scratch x for that matter). Can't take any chances with these things.

#24 ·
I have seen some discussions on detailing world / YouTube where a heat gun / hairdryer is used to soften the top coat and it returns to its original shape ( the poo distorts it and gives the etching look). Have a look.

Regards.

#25 ·
roundasapound said:
I definitely recommend keeping Autoglym bird poo wipes in the boot.

Those flying fu**ers use my car as target practice for their crap. So much so I'm buying bird poo boxes in bulk via eBay.
Will check out eBay. Have to admit I am sceptical about value for money with the autoglym wipes but they are a convenient option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.