Baby BMW Forum banner

Auto Finesse detailing products

11K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  DurhamLad1973 
#1 ·
(I have no affiliation with these products)

I've used a lot of different cleaning products over the years. Started with auto glym, thought I'd found my ideal with mequiars, but of more recent times, I've started using Auto Finesse. I thought I'd write something because it doesn't seem to get talked about much.

Their products are really good. I've recently used the spirit wax and pre wax cleanser on my car and the difference is amazing. Another product or theirs I can recommend is iron out. Espscially if you have a 135. It literally dissolves brake dust and turns it red, then you just wash it off.

#2 ·
AF stuff is excellent and is usually my preferred brand. But they are quite pricey and I run through products quickly so sometimes opt for cheaper alternatives. I really want to buy a pot of Desire- something on my list!

Matt

#5 ·
Here's a pic of the iron out wheel cleaner. It literally just rinses off and leaves clean wheels! Minimal effort!!

#7 ·
Don't use it as a general wheel cleaner. It's far too expensive for that. Use it for the first time and after washing apply a good wheel sealant. Use it once a month or so after that. You can also use it on paintwork to remove fallout.

#8 ·
Was looking at the af stuff earlier it is pricey but I'm.gonna give it a shot,also heard about the poorboys white Diamond Polish that's supposed to be amazing on light coloured. Can anybody advise on a good car shampoo?

#10 ·
To be fair there are products just as good that cost less. Valet pro dragons breath is just as good as iron out. There's no doubt Auto Finesse stuff is good but they certainly have better than options out the for cheaper

#13 ·
Octavius said:
Autobrite products are excellent and keenly priced.
This is very true. Their cherry glaze all in one is a brilliant product. The only reason I stopped using it was it could sometimes take a while to haze over on my customers cars and you could quite easily miss it when buffing off only for it to haze over once I'd left (in awkward areas)

Their magifoam snowfoam is by far the best I've used to date

#14 ·
Used AF snowfoam and it was pretty crap tbh. Never really clung to the car, and the only reply I got from their customer care team was 'Put more in your lance bottle' - despite me putting in the recommended amount.

Moved to Autobrite and they're incredible.

I still use AF shampoo and wheel cleaner, but I don't think I'll be getting any more from AF once I've used these both up sadly.

#15 ·
Stegosaurus said:
Used AF snowfoam and it was pretty crap tbh. Never really clung to the car, and the only reply I got from their customer care team was 'Put more in your lance bottle' - despite me putting in the recommended amount.

I still use AF shampoo and wheel cleaner, but I don't think I'll be getting any more from AF once I've used these both up sadly.
For the price of it there is definitely better products out there such as AB

#16 ·
i__am__clu said:
Stegosaurus said:

For the price of it there is definitely better products out there such as AB
Agreed, in 5 washes I've used most of the AF stuff, but in the same number of washes I've used barely any AB foam

#17 ·
I've had a big 5 litre bottle of AB stuff since I bought my lance 3 years ago. Granted I don't use it evmerytime I do a car but I've had a fair few uses out of smit seeing as they are snowfoamed twice.

#18 ·
i__am__clu said:
I've had a big 5 litre bottle of AB stuff since I bought my lance 3 years ago. Granted I don't use it evmerytime I do a car but I've had a fair few uses out of smit seeing as they are snowfoamed twice.
I bought the exact same recently, lance with a free 5l bottle. I'm still using the first 1L solution of it that I mixed up the first time I used it after a few washes now, and it's still working like a champ. Very impressed with it

#23 ·
Stegosaurus said:

I currently use Gyeon Q2M or AB Magifoam, and I'm a fan Of AB's Banana Gloss shampoo - easy on your LSP and smells lovely. AB also do a nice range of fresheners as well, though I try to be easy on that sort of thing, especially on a new car (don't want to pollute the new car smell!).

Regards AF Avalanche, which I've also used and found to be runny, I have been told that a more runny mix both lifts and shifts the dirt, more than a foam that sits on top. I'll defer on that one to the experts here, such as Blackroc.

In general, I quite like AF products: Sprintz, Oblitarate, Vision and Cystal are always to hand, whilst products such as Total, Glisten, Mint Rims etc have their occasion and purpose. Recently needed an extra drying towel - was very impressed with an AF one, though how long it continues to wick has yet to be tested.

I think it's a case that as you try more products and learn more about how they work - and how they're supposed to used - you realise that no one brand has the monopoly, and that the number of truly unique, winning products out there is marginal.

You also learn that with the money you're spending on this hobby you probably could have afforded to have your car fully and professionally detailed every six months; but where's the fun in that?

#24 ·
moulin12 said:
Stegosaurus said:

I currently use Gyeon Q2M or AB Magifoam, and I'm a fan Of AB's Banana Gloss shampoo - easy on your LSP and smells lovely. AB also do a nice range of fresheners as well, though I try to be easy on that sort of thing, especially on a new car (don't want to pollute the new car smell!).

Regards AF Avalanche, which I've also used and found to be runny, I have been told that a more runny mix both lifts and shifts the dirt, more than a foam that sits on top. I'll defer on that one to the experts here, such as Blackroc.

In general, I quite like AF products: Sprintz, Oblitarate, Vision and Cystal are always to hand, whilst products such as Total, Glisten, Mint Rims etc have their occasion and purpose. Recently needed an extra drying towel - was very impressed with an AF one, though how long it continues to wick has yet to be tested.

I think it's a case that as you try more products and learn more about how they work - and how they're supposed to used - you realise that no one brand has the monopoly, and that the number of truly unique, winning products out there is marginal.

You also learn that with the money you're spending on this hobby you probably could have afforded to have your car fully and professionally detailed every six months; but where's the fun in that?
Agree with the foam, I know it's not meant to just sit on the car, but the AF stuff I used came out like soapy water and didn't shift anything at all. Really wasn't impressed at all

#25 ·
I am a fan of AF and there snow foam is very good as long as you get it rite i have just got the brit one too but it can get very thick and does not work as well but with a lot of detailing and keeping the car clean it is all in the prep and snow foam can sometimes give you a touch less wash

#26 ·
Rustynut said:
I am a fan of AF and there snow foam is very good as long as you get it rite i have just got the brit one too but it can get very thick and does not work as well but with a lot of detailing and keeping the car clean it is all in the prep and snow foam can sometimes give you a touch less wash
Yeah, the jury's still out for me on magifoam as well: sticky and creamy but not sure it does the job. I had been using a mix of AF Avalanche and Q2M and may go back to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.