Baby BMW Forum banner

What do you use??

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Goon 
#1 ·
Evening all,
I am looking for some advice/input on the best product to use when washing/ detailing my car. At the moment I am using chemical guys maxi suds to wash. And then poor boys black hole and then finish with poor boys nattys paste wax. Now I don't want to spend hundreds on product but what other good quality, reasonably priced products are there on the market? What do you all use/ recommend to wash, glaze, wax and seal with?
Thanks in advance
Ryan

#2 ·
The stuff you are using is decent enough. I'm mostly using Bilt Hamber stuff at the moment. Double Speed Wax is good and only about £15, The snow foam and shampoo seems quite good too. I use Angelwax Elixir for tyres and whatever their interior dressing is called - I have used h2go before and its pretty god but currently trying Nanolex Urban which doesn't seem to roll off the screen very well, but should last longer than h2go.

I'm tempted to try some bouncers check the fleck wax to see if it brings out all the colours in mineral grey.

#4 ·
Sealant doesn't go on top of a wax, they are used instead of - although you can put wax over some of them if you want to.

I'm not too up on sealants to be honest, most of them are ceramic ones that will last a couple of years, but are quite expensive. If you're going to use one of those you usually machine polish the car (to get rid of swirls etc) first, otherwise you just seal them in.
Ceramic sealants also typically have requirements for application - car must be kept dry for X hours after application, it might need to be above a certain temperature for 24 hours - that kind of thing. Quite often people use a professional detailer who have premises where the car can be worked on/left in.

There are non-ceramic sealants that are easier to use but won't offer the protection, I can only think of jet seal right now. Have a look on detailingworld.

#7 ·
As has been said non ceramic sealants - they're usually polymer based - do not have great durability. But then if you use a show wax (a wax that provides gloss rather than a more dull durable wax) then this will have relatively short durability as well.

I prefer sealants as they tend to bring out crisp lines and glass-like finish, whereas waxes attract and capture dirt. But it's much down to personal preference and how often you're looking to clean your care and then reapply your sealant/wax.

I like Gyeon Cure / Carpro re-load

Bit expensive - but easy to use (if you do a panel at a time) and provides an excellent gloss.

More durable but less glossy, Gyeon wetcoat. Easy to apply only if you use correctly, which is spray off, immediately blast off with a pressure washer, angled upwards. If you chicken out by waiting to take it off straight-away or not angling up to ensure coverage you can be left with white spots (can be polished out or will wear off).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.