Anyone owned a VX220

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Tiggstar1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Anyone owned a VX220

Post by Tiggstar1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 pm

As the title says has anyone owned one?

As a new job looms so does the thought of a new car.

I’ve got a few cars already but still hanker after a VX220, preferably a Turbo over the NA. So any info would be welcome, I’ve looked on the forum but people seem a bit stuck up

Options I’ve thought of so far:

Give my daily to the misses (sell her car) and use what I have there vehicle wise and get a VX220

Give back the Leon (Cheap lease) and then get something like a 2013 Range Rover sport or 2014/5 BMW X5 for us to share, No VX220.

My thinking is that with this new job I’ll roughly be doing 45-50hrs Per week and I’ve brought a 2018 Honda PCX moped to commute through traffic as I didn’t want to use the 636 cba to change gears and it’s got a GP exhaust on it so 4am start up won’t go down well BUT am I just wasting money and being greedy as I already have access to a few things to commute.

Don’t know what to do, the misses doesn’t care what I do when it come to my cars and bikes, so this is where u guys come in
2013 F20, 120d M sport, glacier silver, few extras - Gone
2017 Seat Leon FR - Current
Mk1 Golf Gti Campaign with 2.8 VR6 engine - Current
2010 Mitsubishi Evo X - Current
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 636 - Current

Matt Scarbro
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Anyone owned a VX220

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Terrific cars IMO and great value for money.

My brother had a couple of supercharged VX’s and I did a few trackdays in them. Handled very nicely, no mid-engined nastiness, and pucnched well above their power/weight ratio in terms of performance! :D

I could see myself with a nasp one, with some ITBs and a trick gearbox I think it could make an absolute weapon!
M140i road & track project / M4 CP / old fun Japanese stuff

Circuit:Driver YouTube

Matt Scarbro
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 pm

A vid on my old YT channel from a day at the track :thumbs:

https://youtu.be/VaYcWYJvGi0
M140i road & track project / M4 CP / old fun Japanese stuff

Circuit:Driver YouTube

camelsac

Post by camelsac » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 am

If you go VX220, be careful of the Ecotec engine - they had plastic cam shaft pulleys that had a habit of shattering sending valves into pistons etc! I knew of three people back in the late 90s that suffered problems and my Vectra V6 also had the same - whilst it used metal pulleys for the four camshafts, it used the plastic cam pulleys from the four pot engines on the water pump. It let go throwing the belt and causing the water pump to fail. Vauxhall recognised the fault and repaired all cars without issue but not sure if an upgrade was ever put in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiggstar1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tiggstar1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Matt Scarbro wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:12 pm
Terrific cars IMO and great value for money.

My brother had a couple of supercharged VX’s and I did a few trackdays in them. Handled very nicely, no mid-engined nastiness, and pucnched well above their power/weight ratio in terms of performance! :D

I could see myself with a nasp one, with some ITBs and a trick gearbox I think it could make an absolute weapon!
I drove one years ago n fell in love, I’ve been keeping an eye on prices this past year and they are creeping up, especially if you can find that hasn’t been in an accident

Tiggstar1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tiggstar1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 pm

camelsac wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 am
If you go VX220, be careful of the Ecotec engine - they had plastic cam shaft pulleys that had a habit of shattering sending valves into pistons etc! I knew of three people back in the late 90s that suffered problems and my Vectra V6 also had the same - whilst it used metal pulleys for the four camshafts, it used the plastic cam pulleys from the four pot engines on the water pump. It let go throwing the belt and causing the water pump to fail. Vauxhall recognised the fault and repaired all cars without issue but not sure if an upgrade was ever put in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, I’ll look into this

Return to “Other Cars”