Anyone consider GT86/BRZ?

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

JB33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Anyone consider GT86/BRZ?

Post by JB33 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 am

:starwars:

Different cars, I get it. But genuinely interested to hear others experiences with this car.

My last car was infact a GT86 and owned it around 9 months ago, the 2016 version. I sold it as I had terrible rattling from the gear stick at high rpm and apparently “was a feature ...” I sold it on but now find myself drawn to it again (the newer facelifted BRZ this time). I’ve seen several new fixes for this rattling so thinking, could it now be the perfect car?

I am finding very little to hate about the M140i; it’s a fantastic all rounder. The 86 was a purpose built sports car, if you say it needs more power, then I don’t think you understand the purpose of this car. It’s poise, chassis, handling and bolt action rifle-like short shift box make it an enthusiasts drivers car and demonstrates you don’t need masses of power to have fun. 6.5 to 60 isn’t slow and I got those times.

I like the drive of the M140i but can’t help feel it’s missing something in the corners ... the steering is numb but then again, I enjoy the sound of the B58 and it feels substantial in comparison. It comes down to power and refinement vs a precision weapon. As Chris Harris describes it against the 370Z: “a smaller plate of expertly prepared flavours working in harmony as opposed to a big plate of not very nice food (370). Not comparing the M140i to the 370 as they are different cars but I thought that metaphor described the 86 well.

Anyone else with other thoughts?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Anyone consider GT86/BRZ?

Post by marco_polo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 am

Test drive an MX5 / MX5-RF too, or if you have some wedge, a Boxter/Cayman.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 am

I've owned 2 x Gt86, first was mint low mileage example which I kept 6 weeks as it just wasn't car for me at the time, far to focused to be family transport and allrounder i hoped, i did some coilovers and take it on track where it was brilliant fun! but before I started to modify it further sold it on back to stock loosing no money for a change.

Few cars down the line I bought another this time fitted with all parts I wanted to do on 1st on, mainly the Cosworth supercharger kit boosting power to 280hp but delivered in a factory like way not to spoil what car is about, was an absolute riot with the extra grunt and not needing to use as a daily this time we got along well, did a few tweaks mainly to try and quieten it down as they are so noisy on longer journeys. I then did toyota sprint series and few trackdays where it was amazing, after many months of fun put it back to stock selling all upgrades and then the car to Arnold Clark and broke even once again!

Great cars and would have another if prices dip low enough, very focused in terms of ride and cabin noise which while is all part of what they are about it does make them a chore for longer trips, that said 3 of us did a few long trips to track events in there not too bad. I've now bought a mk3 mr2 roadster as a toy to run alongside the 130 and its nearly as much fun as the gt86 but for less than 2k win win :)

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

JB33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by JB33 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:18 am

Sounds like you had great fun in them. Any commments in what you didn’t like? Also, any buying advice, stay older model or the newer ones (facelift) worth the extra?

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:23 am

JB33 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:18 am
Sounds like you had great fun in them. Any commments in what you didn’t like? Also, any buying advice, stay older model or the newer ones (facelift) worth the extra?
Yes 2nd one especially was great fun, all depends what you want the car for I think ? to me main drawback is road noise on motorways trips (worse than my MR2!) and space if wanting to take more than 1 passenger, if its just a car for fun drives out and trackdays its great :D refined for long trips it isn't but depends what your used to I guess, going from a bmw its noisy place to be.

Ive not driven a FL model so don't know how much different they are, the gearstick rattle is annoying on earlier cars but didn't bother me too much, im sure its fixable with some thought but it is a bad design!

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

BreadBin

Post by BreadBin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Considered one, decided I preferred the extra horsepower and a proper engine sound.
E82 135i DCT N55

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm

BreadBin wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Considered one, decided I preferred the extra horsepower and a proper engine sound.
Indeed having owned a N55 135i coupe as the car before the Cosworth kitted GT86 the noise and straighline speed of the 135i is impressive, however for shear driving experience on twisty roads or track the Gt86 is much more focused and fun, i think it would be faster than the 135 point to point once power was increased.

If i bought another GT86 in future i would probably leave it NA and just do breathing mods/remap which has been seen to release around 230hp, back to back on track with my supercharged car there was very little in it and on the sprint events i did i had to work very hard to beat the tuned NA cars and wasnt always able to, had some good battles though.
--

Return to “Other Cars”