Mini cooper keeps stalling

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Producethis, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Lambster, marco_polo

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Mini cooper keeps stalling

Post by pem10 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Hello all. I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk can point me in the right direction regarding my partners r56 cooper.

The car idles inbetween 400rpm and 600rpm and occasionally stalls. This can happen either at a junction or even when just changing down if you're not quick enough :( Drives fine otherwise and pulls well.

Understandably she refuses to drive the car as it's borderline dangerous. Our local friendly garage have been great at sorting some other issues with it and have suggested it could be ECU related? Sounds expensive and I can't keep throwing money at it. Could it possibly be the idle control valve? I'm no mechanic mind :lol:

If anyone has experienced anything similar or can offer any advice then I'm all ears. In spite of this it's a tidy little car but we're both getting a bit pissed off with it.

Thanks for reading.
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - bmwp exhaust - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

Jamesno1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Mini cooper keeps stalling

Post by Jamesno1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Is it petrol or diesel? If the latter it could well be a sticky egr valve. A colleague at work is having similar issues with his diesel car
M135i & 320i m sport plus (for sale) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... on=at_cars

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Jamesno1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 pm
Is it petrol or diesel? If the latter it could well be a sticky egr valve. A colleague at work is having similar issues with his diesel car
Sorry should of mentioned it's a petrol. Both the eccentric shaft sensor and vanos actuator have both been changed recently as has the timing chain.
130i se. Sparkling graphite metallic. Xenons - darklines -pro hu - focal IFBMW-S -bmwp intake - bmwp exhaust - roof spoiler. Now with added 313 goodness and other bits and bobs.

BreadBin

Post by BreadBin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 am

I don't know much about Minis - if this was an older BMW I'd be looking for an air leak.
E82 135i DCT N55

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

Heard about this and have checked the air filter is seated correctly. Wouldn't know where else to check. I'll have a squint under the bonnet see if anything stands out.

Bit baffled really as the car went to the garage running like a bag of nails but idling fine and now it runs miles better and keeps stalling :roll:

Half of me wants to get rid but who would buy it and the stubborn half wants it fixed :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion.

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Battery healthy and leads secure? At slow speeds battery might not be charged as alternators cut in and out.
M140i, Mineral Grey

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm

robsaboy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:10 pm
Battery healthy and leads secure? At slow speeds battery might not be charged as alternators cut in and out.
Could probably use a new battery to be fair. Hardly been driven in the last few months and the last 2 starts a have required a jump. Would a knackered battery cause it to stall once it's running?

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm

pem10 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm
robsaboy wrote:
Could probably use a new battery to be fair. Hardly been driven in the last few months and the last 2 starts a have required a jump. Would a knackered battery cause it to stall once it's running?
If more powers being used than being generated then could stall. Try a smart charger like Ctek 5 as a new battery might not help long term if the car does short trips..
M140i, Mineral Grey

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:48 pm

robsaboy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 pm
pem10 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm
robsaboy wrote:
If more powers being used than being generated then could stall. Try a smart charger like Ctek 5 as a new battery might not help long term if the car does short trips..
Will look into it. :thumbs:

She does do lots of short trips so I guess it's using more juice than it's getting. Could also be the original battery so maybe 12 years old!

BreadBin

Post by BreadBin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm

To find air leaks - using a can of carburettor cleaner spray all around the intake pipework with the engine running. A leak will suck in the carb cleaner and the revs will rise. Split intake hoses, breather hoses or pipework not properly connected could lead to low idle + stalling in other cars, but unsure as to how it would affect a Mini
E82 135i DCT N55

pem10
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pem10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks BreadBin for the heads up. Going to get a new battery asap as it probably needs one. Will see if that helps. Should at least get it off the in laws drive :lol:

If that doesn't cure it then I'll brake out the aerosol.

Return to “Other Cars”