Bye bye BMW

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, Lambster, marco_polo

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Bye bye BMW

Post by talal » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:50 pm

no idea about whether EV's are sustainable it played a small part in my decision making process, for me if there are green credentials then its a bonus rather than the reason for buying an ev

on the self combustion, didn't think it was a big thing but no idea if they have fixed it, i hope they have...

either way not a big deal if it sets on fire, they have invested their time in the seats making fart noises.
BMW 440i - carbon black - great machine!
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone
Audi S4 Avant - Midnight blue - Lots of Toys (died)
BMW 130i LE No Mods Great as standard! - Now sadly gone...

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:11 pm

So the car arrived last week, only driven it 300 miles so far... initial impressions are very very positive...

first thing you notice is that its just simply better thought out than traditional car interiors, at first and on the testdrive i thought having stuff just on a big touch screen would be a distraction, but after a while it becomes intuitive and then very quickly you start to think, why arent all cars like this..

Some stuff i like a lot...

having a spotify app that i can search and browse and simply listen to playlists and jump to songs easily is great
being able to control the temp in the car from my phone and switches on the heated seats i think will be amazing as winter approaches
the seats are very comfortable and the user profile memory actually works first time every time unlike my 440i which sometimes just doesn't respond

bits i dont like

the plastics are cheap and the doors feel too light, so the closing doesn't have that nice chunk BMW's do

in terms of driving dynamics, its ridiculous, its so fast, im not much of a boy racer, but i cant help but just randomly floor it for that roller coaster like feeling it gives... you have to experience it to see what i mean it is insanely fast... the stats say 3.2s to 60 i think it would hit that consistently...
It handles brilliantly, takes corners very very tightly and you can feel the power shifting to the different wheels. I think the tight handling is due to the low center of gravity or it could be the Pilot super sports im not sure, iv spent the last 3 years on bridgestone run flats so my radr for good rubber is off...

but all in all very happy with the move so far!
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks for posting a follow up, sounds really great, I'm definitely going for an EV as my next car, and the Model 3 is a real possibility.

While the 0-60 is great, whats the power like once up to speed, say for overtaking on the motorway?

The benefit of EV is the torque is 100% from the off, but it reduces as the speed increases, which is sort of opposite to an ICE which increases to the power band. I expect the benefit is minor at higher speeds, but even so, I doubt I would miss that and it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue.

Real life range will be interesting in the colder weather too, using the heating etc.
2017 M140i

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:38 pm

you are right the 0-60 is the party piece, but iv driven it on the motorway too and it will jump from 70-90 quicker than 90% of cars so over taking is an ease... the torque is definitely lower at 70mph than it is at 20mph but will still shove you into the seat so im confident its quicker than most ICE cars for motorway over-taking..

that said from those numbers upwards it starts to be noticeable that the power is tailing off - i havn't gone very very quickly in it, but it still climbs but not with the same ferocity... the top speed is limited to 165 on mine, but i cant see how it would reach that type of speed or how much of a runway it would need to get there...

real world range is hard to judge as its new and im not driving in the way that i would once the gloss has worn off - but so far i think im getting around 200 miles for a full charge - which is 100 less than the claimed range, but again i put that down to having a heavy foot for now, im sure i wont be accelerating at 100% at every opportunity soon enough, the novelty will wear off...

i got the charger fitted yesterday, i got a Rolec one instead of the tesla unit as its cheaper (it has a grant, the tesla one doesn't) so now able to charge at home which is great, i now just need to figure out how i can get a tarrif that is cheaper at night...

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am

Congrats on the the Model 3.

In 2016 i drove a Model S P60 for a week. I loved it, especially the ease of using maps or browsing Spotify.

Range and price of EVs remain a barrier to purchase for me. However this will change in 2025 when solid state batteries replace lithium ion batteries. Battery density will significantly increase and we'll see range double or triple.

Today you have to pre condition an EV in order to achieve maximum range. This is critical during winter when range can be 30-40% lower than the official figure.

However this might not be a concern if you only travel short distances and can't charge at the destination.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:12 am

talal wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:38 pm
i now just need to figure out how i can get a tarrif that is cheaper at night...
EDF have just started a tariff aimed at EV owners - half price electric from 9pm to 7am and all weekends (for the entire house as well).

Not affiliated, I saw it on Fully Charged (YouTube show for EVs) and thought it sounded a good tariff if I went that direction.
2017 M140i

Return to “Other Cars”