M340iX

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

M340iX

Post by 50pence »

I took one for a drive yesterday, a saloon, it didn't deter me from thinking that a Touring could be my next car, though also didn't totally wow me. The cabin is familiar to anyone who has driven an F40, lot's of tech though fiddly climate controls, it feels very modern though it's not a big step up in quality from the F40, or my F20 M135i LCi.

It feels bigger and heavier than the F20, the chassis is very taught, very solid though the ride is great in Sport (it's adaptive) and fantastic in Comfort on 19" runflats. Overall grip is superb and the steering great, though not as much feel and not as direct as an E87 etc.

It's got a 369bhp version of the B58 though the red line is at 6500 rpm, 500 rpm lower than the B58 in the 140/240s and the N55. As with any BMW straight six it sounds great, any ASD is well balanced though as I have felt when driving 140/240s the B58 feels a little more mechanical than the N55 which is just so sweet. Performance wise on the move it felt on par with my M135i, though of course it's heavier, however off the line the traction is amazing and I'd bet it'd be faster to 60mph than any 2wd BMW except in absolutely perfect conditions, and the traction pulling out of a side road is great, just turn the wheel and go for it and it pulls itself round and rockets off.

Brilliant car, the Touring in particular looks great, and the Oxide Grey is a nice colour, they'd also look good in Mineral White.

Though perhaps not quite as special as I hoped, maybe my expectations were too high, and well over £50k ...

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

new666uk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: M340iX

Post by new666uk »

Nice review, I'm tempted too but our local dealer didn't have a demo when I was in that frame of mind. Sitting in a showroom model it did feel a step up from an F21 although I'd sure as $h!t not using that daft gesture control.

Did you get as far as talking numbers? I hear discounts are still ~18% at the moment so I'll happily wait for that to increase.
F21 M135i 3dr auto. Estoril blue, black leather.

Previously:
e46 330Ci M-Sport. Coupe, Imola red with black leather
e36 325iA SE with Alpina trim. Coupe, Black (met) with black leather
e36 325iA SE. Coupe, Lagoon green (met) with cream leather.

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

new666uk wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm
Nice review, I'm tempted too but our local dealer didn't have a demo when I was in that frame of mind. Sitting in a showroom model it did feel a step up from an F21 although I'd sure as $h!t not using that daft gesture control.

Did you get as far as talking numbers? I hear discounts are still ~18% at the moment so I'll happily wait for that to increase.
Thanks, it's bang up to date though doesn't feel like a step up in quality of material terms.

I was given a figure of £4.5k deposit and £579 p/m for a PCP on a standard spec Touring, though I reckon that can be bettered and I'd probably do part cash and part HP (or bank loan), I'm going to email and ask for best cash price though it's not a short term happening for me.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc

SamM140
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by SamM140 »

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t think the new cars are quite the leap on in quality as they’re made out to be. Fresher, more modern design yes.

The touring does look like an interesting proposition, especially because I have a thing for fast estates but the figures are still too rich for me. Hopefully they’ll follow the F3x trend soon enough.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

RichT001
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by RichT001 »

50pence wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:20 am
and well under £40k once BMW realise that nobody in their right mind will pay over £50k for one ...
Fixed, for accuracy. :D
F40 M135i - 4 wheels, headlights, engine, cigarette lighter, windscreen wipers, horn, rubber boot mat, dog guard.
2020 Ducati Multistrada 1260 S Grand Tour - 2 wheels, engine, seat.

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

The touring handles worse than the sedan which isn't that nimble to begin with.

I would rather buy an X3 M40i which is cheaper on finance, will have better resale value and the improved visibility will give you increased confidence to push on on b-roads.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra »

Tiberius wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 am

I would rather buy an X3 M40i which is cheaper on finance, will have better resale value and the improved visibility will give you increased confidence to push on on b-roads.
Better reasale? Have you looked on Autotrader recently? They shed money quicker than a tart sheds her knickers!
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

Ezzra wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:45 am
Tiberius wrote:

Better reasale? Have you looked on Autotrader recently? They shed money quicker than a tart sheds her knickers!
I agree, I’d far rather a quick estate than a quick SUV...but I think quick estates are cool as.

I doubt very much that you’d have more confidence in the X3 over the 3 given the higher COG etc.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

SamM140 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am
I’d far rather a quick estate than a quick SUV...but I think quick estates are cool as.

I doubt very much that you’d have more confidence in the X3 over the 3 given the higher COG etc.
I agree on both points.

--

Tiberius
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tiberius »

Ezzra wrote:

6 cylinder BMW estates have low demand and BMW offer low discounts and contributions on them. They want the buyer to take the brunt of the depreciation.

Last year I got a few quotes for a 540i touring and the figures were not financially attractive. Both a 2 year old 540i or 340i cars are advertised at £20-30k from list.

Yes the X3 M40i depreciates too but in Q4 offers were at £480 down/month. The M340i will need very big discounts to make financial sense. However this doesn't matter if it's the car someone really wants.
Cars:
-19' M140i SE, AW, MP LSD, Birds B1 Suspension(Adaptive delete), Heated Seats, Power Folding Mirrors, F&R PDC, Rev.Camera

-19' X3 20i M-Sport, Adaptive Suspenion, Pro Nav, Icon Headlights, Parking Assist Plus, Power Folding Mirrors

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

I don't think I'd consider an X3 instead of a Touring, though I want a hatch so my options would be M135iX, M340iX Touring or perhaps an M330i Touring.

--

50pence
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by 50pence »

RichT001
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by RichT001 »

Ezzra wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

Agreed. And I had one!
F40 M135i - 4 wheels, headlights, engine, cigarette lighter, windscreen wipers, horn, rubber boot mat, dog guard.
2020 Ducati Multistrada 1260 S Grand Tour - 2 wheels, engine, seat.

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 »

Anyone got one of these yet? Interested to know how you're getting on with it.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

I had one of these come flying up behind me aggressively on the motorway yesterday, a black 20 plate saloon, trying to push me out of the way.

I thought it was just a 320d so pulled over and let him go past but when I clocked the M340i badge I thought I'd follow for a bit and have a laugh. He was aiming for my BMW dealers so may well have been a BMW staff member/salesman etc.

They may have 369bhp but it couldn't match mine for grunt. He would sit behind cars in the right lane and then when they moved over would put his foot flat to the floor. If I did the same behind him I could reel him in quite easily.

Also had a bit of fun in some twisties and in Sport+, but admittedly very dry, I had no issues with traction and kept having to back off as I would catch him easily. He was trying very hard, in fact I left him to it in the end as his speed was going to get silly.

They are nice looking though and the XDrive system would be worth it in winter. I did think the uprated power would make a difference but I guess the extra weight balances things out.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Return to “Other Cars”