BMW E90 320d?

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

BMW E90 320d?

Post by Martin Keeton »

With a baby due and a 12 and 14 year old my E82 is going to be too small.

I’ve never loved a car as much as the coupe and will be gutted to see her go. I literally love that car!

Anyway, I’m looking at E90’s (2011) and wondered if anyone has first hand experience of them? I know they look just like my E82 with an extra door on each side - interior seems basically the same, under the bonnet looks to be the same lump - N47?

With that said in guessing that they share the same common faults and issues?

I’m braced for the don’t touch one of those get the *30 with the proper engine etc. I’d love one but think I’m priced out.

Any other options or suggestions? I’d love an X3 but think those are a little pricey for the year and mileage I’d want.

Because I have to get rid of my coupe I want to feel like I’m upgrading, hence looking at >2011 and below 80k (I’m aware the 80k is a stupid arbitrary number!)

Would really like to hear people’s thoughts and opinions.

Cheers
Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E87 120d | Saphire Black | Boston Cream sports Leather | Extended Lights package - GONE!

E82 118d M-Sport | Space Grey | Boston lemon Leather | Extended Lights package | Xenons | folding mirrors | Auto lights | Auto Wipers | Cruise

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: BMW E90 320d?

Post by SamM140 »

I had an E90 330 for three years...

It was a bloody fab car, I loved it and regret selling it. Be warned though, they’re not the most practical things; the boot isn’t huge with a smallish opening. Folding sears were an option which very few owners bothered ticking which makes them even less useful.

Fault wise, the fuel tank vent pipe runs through the chassis, rubs and splits. The later part is reinforced to stop this, it’s a pig to fit so can be expensive. There was an issue with sticky door handles too but most would have been sorted by now. The 20d engine isn’t the most reliable thing, so I would hang in for a 30d. Does it need to be a soot chucker? The 3 litre petrols are bloody good value these days.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Martin Keeton »

Cheers for responding Sam. Your 330 looks like it was a beauty.

I’m not overly worried about boot space. Just need 3 seats in the back.
I tried our pushchair in the E82 so no concerns that it won’t fit.
We have a roof box for longer trips where we have to take bags etc.

I’ve started looking at the *30’s in both Petrol and diesel. For the miles and spec I want it’s slim pickings. (Xenon’s, leather, Msport, pro radio, folding mirrors, front and rear pdc)

Only reason I look to the soot chuckers is because I do about 20k per year and having owned a M47 and N47 I like the idea of better the devil you know.. I’ve never had any of the big issues others seem to be faced with, I do oil and filters every 6k just to try and stay in front of the problems.

I think I’m going to find it hard because my coupe is mint. Paintwork is bang on and drives like a dream. I’m worried everything I drive/see will feel like a downgrade!

E87 120d | Saphire Black | Boston Cream sports Leather | Extended Lights package - GONE!

E82 118d M-Sport | Space Grey | Boston lemon Leather | Extended Lights package | Xenons | folding mirrors | Auto lights | Auto Wipers | Cruise

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Thanks. It really was one of the best cars I’ve owned; only one mechanical issue in three in three years and lost £1800 in that time.

The rear bench is really for two people; whoever sits in the middle gets the short straw good and proper. There are good cars out there but it’s finding one. I wanted a touring but they were all absolute dogs at the time. What’s your budget?
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Martin Keeton »

SamM140 wrote:Thanks. It really was one of the best cars I’ve owned; only one mechanical issue in three in three years and lost £1800 in that time.

The rear bench is really for two people; whoever sits in the middle gets the short straw good and proper. There are good cars out there but it’s finding one. I wanted a touring but they were all absolute dogs at the time. What’s your budget?
It won’t be me sat in the middle! :)
We only use the car maybe twice per year where all 5 of us will be in it. Just need that extra space for those occasions. (Considered keeping the coupe and hiring a car for the odd times)

Budget is about 7k (not sure what I’d get for the E82 but would like to see 5ish)

I looked at a Tiguan for the space but the Mrs doesn’t want one.. champagne taste with lemonade budget! She loves the new X5 and asks if that’s within budget Image

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

You should easily get a good car for that, it’s just finding one that’s good. No help to you now but a guy in PH had a mint Le Mans blue touring 330 with stuff like xenons he was selling for £5.5k. It had done just over 115k but was a loved example owned by an enthusiast.

I like the E90 design and think it’s aged well.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Martin Keeton wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:56 pm
I’ve started looking at the *30’s in both Petrol and diesel. For the miles and spec I want it’s slim pickings. (Xenon’s, leather, Msport, pro radio, folding mirrors, front and rear pdc)
You could always transplant stuff from your coupe -folding mirrors, radio, cruise and PDC should all swap over with a small amount of effort + coding. Depending on what it would do to the coupe's value it could give you a few more cars to choose from?
E81 130i | Build Thread

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Martin Keeton »

Nyxeris wrote: You could always transplant stuff from your coupe -folding mirrors, radio, cruise and PDC should all swap over with a small amount of effort + coding. Depending on what it would do to the coupe's value it could give you a few more cars to choose from?
The only thing that I’d really miss is the xenons and folding mirrors. Not sure I’ll miss them enough to attempt the transplant but I’m going to read up on the requirements to see if it’s something I could manage. Image

Ended up buying this yesterday. Ticks some of the boxes. Pro radio with phone, Dakota/Oyster, thru load rear seats, cruise, shadow line and piano trim.

It’s a 2011 E90 with just over 70k with a service book fully stamped. It seems really tidy and the fact stop/start works indicates things are somewhat healthy.

Needs the wheels refurbishing and some new rubber at some-point. It has a mix of tyres at the moment. They are 17’s.

Although, first impressions is the ride is 10x softer than the low profile non run flats on the 261’s where it makes my bones rattle!

I’ve still got the coupe for the time being and I’m staying on here regardless! :)

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

BMW E90 320d?

Post by Martin Keeton »

[mention]samM140 [/mention] what wheels were on your 330? I might just crack on and find a set of those!

Any thoughts on boot lip? Yes or no?

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Looks lovely! I think a body colour boot lid spoiler would really suit it. A retrimmed steering wheel from Royal would be a nice little quality of life upgrade too. I'd probably be shopping around for a remap too but that might be missing the point lol.

The wheels on Sam's 330 look like MV3s?
E81 130i | Build Thread

Martin Keeton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Martin Keeton »

Nyxeris wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:58 pm
Looks lovely! I think a body colour boot lid spoiler would really suit it. A retrimmed steering wheel from Royal would be a nice little quality of life upgrade too. I'd probably be shopping around for a remap too but that might be missing the point lol.

The wheels on Sam's 330 look like MV3s?
Thanks man! :thumbs:

Will get the lid spoiler on order.

I've looked at those wheels before - is it a diy job to switch them out?
to give an indication of my skill set, i comfortably swapped the full interior of my E82, all seats and door cards.
I can use a socket set but wouldn't class myself as mechanical!

I'like those MV3s but also not disgusted by the 17's currently on the car, think i'll give them a few months and then see how i feel.

Finally... What a great time to try and sell my E82!! :censored: :banghead:

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Martin Keeton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:33 pm
I've looked at those wheels before - is it a diy job to switch them out?
to give an indication of my skill set, i comfortably swapped the full interior of my E82, all seats and door cards.
I can use a socket set but wouldn't class myself as mechanical!
Nah it's fairly straightforward, just fiddly. Here's a vid, the process on an E8x is identical:

E81 130i | Build Thread

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Nice looking car you’ve picked up there.

Yes, the wheels in mine were MV3’s, 18 inch staggered set up.

My spoiler was from SSDD Motorsport and was about £175 painted and fixed with 3M tape.

Removing the steering wheel is a piece of cake once the release springs for the airbag are located.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W »

ran a 2010 60 plate brand new for 4 years - 318D Msport with 18's and red brown leather. did close to 90k miles

honestly one of the best cars I have owned - built like a tank

never missed a beat - no expenses other than general servicing

58 onwards i believe was the facelift

if you are not inetersted in looks go for the ED model although most will have mega miles as the C02 was low a company car go to - guy at work used to get high 60's on long drives

postives
still look the part today
nice interior - very solid feel
comfy seats
make sure the car has fold down rear seatas theese were optional and very limiting if your car does not have them
318d was great on fuel

negatives
felt the engine was very noisey as time went on
run flast really gave a harsh ride

spec wise - wish mine had xenons - went for 18's instead

would have another one in a heart beat

father in law had the 320i which was great but suffer from coil packs immensely
Follow me on Instagram Paulwhitt82

2019 A3 SB Black Edition S-Tronic, Pano roof, tech pack, full leather
2019 TT black Edition, S-Tronic, turbo blue

Return to “Other Cars”