GR Yaris

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: GR Yaris

Post by Mucus »

Blind Pugh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 pm
Mucus wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:43 pm This will depend on whether Toyoda decides the company will continue production beyond the initial 25,000 units.
Either way, I would expect rock solid residuals for some considerable time.
Agree - although IMHO GRY ltd run likely stay ltd to keep kudos / differentiators from other GR offerings, etc. esp as Toyota intend to upcycle GRY running gear into '23MY GRCorolla....perhaps less niche, higher volume but pitched at higher price (say tending towards RRP £40k) and hence probably high margin ICE offering

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/co ... gr-corolla

Wow! I hadn't seen that. Looks ace!
18 yo Suzuki Jimny with two muddy dogs in the back 8)

Cayman GT4 (981C) tucked away
Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Justchris17 »

I don’t think the Corolla will be 4wd though I think I read it will be same engine but FWD
2010 N55 135i, Manual, Metallic sapphire black, Coral red leather

2009 Mazda6 TS2 Estate for the dog/tip
Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Interesting news from Litchfield - the cars are "easily" capable of 300bhp+ from a tuning box, but don't seem to be well aligned from the factory. Some nice parts in development too.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/blog/t ... velopment/
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mucus »

Nyxeris wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:23 pm Interesting news from Litchfield - the cars are "easily" capable of 300bhp+ from a tuning box, but don't seem to be well aligned from the factory. Some nice parts in development too.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/blog/t ... velopment/

Interesting. Nitron suspension has a very good reputation in the motorcycle world :)

Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Chapscrap »

I can’t remember which Country it was in, but there’s a tuning box equipped GR with just under 300hp and around 270ft lbs which does the important (to me anyway) 100-200 in 12 seconds, the same as a standard 140, which is quick enough for me. The power in the Yaris would be useable for far more of the time, especially on the roads I use regularly.
I like what Lichfield are doing suspension wise, effectively setting the car up for crappy UK roads.
I’m even more tempted now...
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i »

Order now and it's a November delivery unless you get lucky with a dealer cancellation. I don't know how many have gone from the UK allocation, but there can't be many left.
Gone - F21 M140i Auto, MPerf LSD, MPE, B12 Pro kit
Curent- F56 MINI JCW Auto
Next- Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mucus »

Chapscrap wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:16 pm I can’t remember which Country it was in, but there’s a tuning box equipped GR with just under 300hp and around 270ft lbs which does the important (to me anyway) 100-200 in 12 seconds, the same as a standard 140, which is quick enough for me. The power in the Yaris would be useable for far more of the time, especially on the roads I use regularly.
I like what Lichfield are doing suspension wise, effectively setting the car up for crappy UK roads.
I’m even more tempted now...

I'll just run the man maths through the computer -

Yaris GR / √ Diane Abbott's stomach - 3 X number of mountains on Mars - 13 X (6/0.342) + seconds it takes my dog to eat dinner = place order asap :D

50pence

Post by 50pence »

This is interesting, once on the move the Mini GP is clearly a lot more powerful, it looks like more than the apparent 45 bhp to me (261 v 306).

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markm240i »

50pence wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:46 am This is interesting, once on the move the Mini GP is clearly a lot more powerful, it looks like more than the apparent 45 bhp to me (261 v 306).
--
It'd not just a 45 BHP advantage though. The GP3 is slightly lighter and has an additional 90 Nm of torque generated at far lower RPM, so it makes much bigger power before the GR gets going. In addition to that it has an automatic gearbox. If straight line pace is your thing, the GP3 is very quick and will see of a Civic Type R and just about every other hot hatch other than the RS3 and AMG 45.

The problem with the GP3 is that it's totally crap on a typical road due to wrist straining torque steer and poor traction even with the standard front only LSD. Basically it's a part bin special with suspension heavily biased to track use. The engine and gearbox are from the M135i, but without the AWD BMW reckons it needs in the 135i.
Gone - F21 M140i Auto, MPerf LSD, MPE, B12 Pro kit
Curent- F56 MINI JCW Auto
Next- Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
50pence

Post by 50pence »

markm240i wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 am
50pence wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:46 am This is interesting, once on the move the Mini GP is clearly a lot more powerful, it looks like more than the apparent 45 bhp to me (261 v 306).
--
It'd not just a 45 BHP advantage though. The GP3 is slightly lighter and has an additional 90 Nm of torque generated at far lower RPM, so it makes much bigger power before the GR gets going. In addition to that it has an automatic gearbox. If straight line pace is your thing, the GP3 is very quick and will see of a Civic Type R and just about every other hot hatch other than the RS3 and AMG 45.

The problem with the GP3 is that it's totally crap on a typical road due to wrist straining torque steer and poor traction even with the standard front only LSD. Basically it's a part bin special with suspension heavily biased to track use. The engine and gearbox are from the M135i, but without the AWD BMW reckons it needs in the 135i.
I agree, and I know. My point was simply about the straight line performance, the difference looks more than 45bhp and 90nm to me.

--
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding mirrors etc
F55 Mini Cooper, man, LED h/l + HB assist, h/seats, head-up display, active cruise, XL nav, elec folding mirrors etc
Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mucus »

50pence wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 am
markm240i wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 am
--

I agree, and I know. My point was simply about the straight line performance, the difference looks more than 45bhp and 90nm to me.

--

Agreed. It's about "usable" performance. Pit two equal drivers, one in a GR and one in an M5, across a typical twisty pock marked road, on a typical British (wet) day, and I'm confident the M driver won't be Infront :)

Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Chapscrap »

Mucus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:50 am

Agreed. It's about "usable" performance. Pit two equal drivers, one in a GR and one in an M5, across a typical twisty pock marked road, on a typical British (wet) day, and I'm confident the M driver won't be Infront :)
Or an M140. For me that’s the appeal of the Yaris- accessible useable performance most/more of the time.
Wether I could live with it as a daily is another question.
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
treid

Post by treid »

I had the opportunity to test drive in GR, 140 is now sold (anyway great car) and GR ordered, the best decision I could make for my needs:)
Justchris17
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Justchris17 »

treid wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm I had the opportunity to test drive in GR, 140 is now sold (anyway great car) and GR ordered, the best decision I could make for my needs:)
It’s a hell of a car I ordered seconds after my test drive I needed to have it. But I’m still yet to put the 135i officially up for sale I’m hoping over next 8 months I find a way to have both
2010 N55 135i, Manual, Metallic sapphire black, Coral red leather

2009 Mazda6 TS2 Estate for the dog/tip
Mucus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mucus »

Justchris17 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:14 pm
treid wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm I had the opportunity to test drive in GR, 140 is now sold (anyway great car) and GR ordered, the best decision I could make for my needs:)
It’s a hell of a car I ordered seconds after my test drive I needed to have it. But I’m still yet to put the 135i officially up for sale I’m hoping over next 8 months I find a way to have both

I'll quickly run that through the man maths computer. This:

2 X car / √circumfrence of Uranus X .08873 - Marcos waste size ( inches)/ the price of six bagels in pence X 3.887 / batman = two cars staying.

:)

Return to “Other Cars”