1999 E38 740i (SWB) Recomissioning

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

G90
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 1999 E38 740i (SWB) Recomissioning

Post by G90 »

rjwojcik wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 pm Just had to google it
I've just edited my post to point the finger more at tyre fitters not knowing. :lol:
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange(Manual)
Previous 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

G90 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:07 pm Where was this tyre fitting legend? Not many (tyre fitters) seem to have a clue about the dots.
Just my local tyre/alignment/MOT place - bunch of nice Lithuanian guys who do a good job for a fair price - but they do know how stuff should be done right.
bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

rjwojcik wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 pm
G90 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:07 pm Where was this tyre fitting legend? Not many seem to have a clue about the dots.
Just had to google it
It really helps reduce the weight required if you set the tyre up in the right place - in my case because I refuse to allow them to put weights on the face of the alloy - this means they have to use a little more weight on the inside of the rim beside the spokes to get the wheel/tyre balanced perfectly
bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

At bloody last

Definitely needs spacers on the rear - they are way too tucked in compared to the staggered set

Luckily I have a set of 4 and I only ever use 2 on the hot wash coupe

Of course typically in a car that has been laid up for a while fix one thing and another decides to play up - rear parking sensors are not playing nice - still I have optional rear contact collision prevention

Bloody great towbar :D
G90

Post by G90 »

Sound like pro's anyway. I swear I've only seen one garage here know what the dots mean.
And nice. How did you get the phone to work? Different sim or?
There's a green 540i in good condition here. Reading through your posts makes me want to see what he wants for it.
bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

Sorry missed this post
G90 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 amSound like pro's anyway. I swear I've only seen one garage here know what the dots mean.
Good little garage - run and staffed by what I would call "Car People"
G90 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 amAnd nice. How did you get the phone to work? Different sim or?
Different SIM in the end - I pulled the old knackered phone apart to inspect the SIM contacts - and I could see that provided the SIM card wasn't removed from the Credit card sized holder a modern SIM might just contact in the right places - I'd tried a modern nano one in a home fabricated holder and it didn't recognise it a SIM so wrongly assumed that it wouldn't take a nano SIM
G90 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:06 amThere's a green 540i in good condition here. Reading through your posts makes me want to see what he wants for it.
My mate Will ran a 540 for 16 years from 70K miles to 300 K miles with out any issues - rust unfortunately killed it so I'd say look very carefully

No other updates for the E38 yet as I'm doing a Home DIY project right now
G90

Post by G90 »

Sounds a good garage anyway. When I get tyres next I'll need to see if the place I'll be using now is capable of that.
I go through tyre fitters like nothing else, if i see the airgun being used in excess. I never go back 🤣

And nice one, really loving the work you've done so far. All the little touches add up. I've decided next time I see the guy in town with the e39 540 I'm going to have to give him my number for when he wants to sell it, just hopefully not too soon as the 140 has priority. I love the old 'proper' bmws.
Edit. This one is fairly good condition but I've not inspected it properly as don't want to look like I'm trying to rob it. If I see it parked in daylight I'll pop a pic up. One of my old lecturers had design inputs on the old stuff, the last car he was involved with was the E39. He's the reason I've had 3 bmws now, he sells you them just by talking about them :lol:

My mate had a 530d from Aberdeen and I've never seen so much rust on a well maintained car. But then up there its salt in the air and on the roads.
bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

G90 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pm Sounds a good garage anyway. When I get tyres next I'll need to see if the place I'll be using now is capable of that.
I go through tyre fitters like nothing else, if i see the airgun being used in excess. I never go back 🤣
I had to educate a tyre fitter a few years back for rattle gunning the wheel bolts in and then going round with a torque wrench and getting a click on each one with no movement and he reckoned that was good job done.

I said now set the wrench to undo at 5 NM more than the original setting and try and undo them - if you've torqued them up correctly they should undo without a click........

They didn't - he had to increase the torque setting to 50 NM more before he could undo the wheel bolts :D

He got the point then although I never did go back there again
G90 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pmAnd nice one, really loving the work you've done so far. All the little touches add up. I've decided next time I see the guy in town with the e39 540 I'm going to have to give him my number for when he wants to sell it, just hopefully not too soon as the 140 has priority. I love the old 'proper' bmws.
Edit. This one is fairly good condition but I've not inspected it properly as don't want to look like I'm trying to rob it. If I see it parked in daylight I'll pop a pic up. One of my old lecturers had design inputs on the old stuff, the last car he was involved with was the E39. He's the reason I've had 3 bmws now, he sells you them just by talking about them :lol:
E38, E39 and the E46 were the high points of BMW car design for me - I like some of the newer stuff but not as much
G90 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pmMy mate had a 530d from Aberdeen and I've never seen so much rust on a well maintained car. But then up there its salt in the air and on the roads.
I've had one car from north of the border and it was an utter rot box!!!!

Mind you I had one from a seaside town in the UK and that was too :D
G90

Post by G90 »

It's funny really how they get by but I suppose people who just see cars as tools probably don't realise how bad some of the fitters methods are. So painful, torqued up to them means tight as ....

Aye they really were. So driver focused back then. Never driven an e38 but the e39 always surprised me how you could throw it down a twisty road and it just soaked it up considering it's mass.
I've had one car from Scotland as well and I've lived here my whole life🤣
Yeah the coastal salt just strips them if they haven't been garaged etc. Rust 🤢

Return to “Other Cars”