What could the issue be ...

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: What could the issue be ...

Post by OneTwenty »

Dizeee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 pm I am slightly annoyed as this is a recurring theme with her, she neglects cars, pays no attention to any of the admin etc. She has missed the last 2 services, and often I have to remind her to insure / tax it. My sympathy with her personal responsibility is wearing thin. It may sound harsh but she should have kept on top of maintenance and planned for something like this - its a 95k mile car.
Seems a bit harsh, as the man of the house do you not sort out the cars? :lol:

My Mrs wouldn’t have a clue on anything car related, so I look after both of them with regards servicing, tax, tyres, insurance, warranty, admin etc. I assumed all blokes do the same. :oops: :?

In fact I run most of the house as well with all tech and accounts done by me. If I die suddenly she won’t have a clue. :D :lol:
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise
Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

Its a grey area. She is a "modern women" and quite capable, things are fairly equal in our house. She bought the car and committed to it, and I think she should then follow through and at least be aware of MOT / service / insurance. These are the basic legalities and she is an adult.

I have helped over the years, in various ways, but it shouldn't be me reminding her to be road legal. She racked up 9 points last year through stupidity on the road and not thinking, so I do get the hump when this latest situation occurs possibly caused by poor organization and planning on her part. That said neither of us could have known what was coming, but she could have done more to prevent it. It was me that started rescuing things when they went wrong, and noticing the sounds, and warning lights. She is just oblivious to all of it. She thought a 7 year warranty covered everything and was upset when her clutch perished at 4 years and 65k as she thought Kia should have covered it. She still does really.

But this has caused a problem. The WBAC is a good idea.
BW Custom ECU & ZF8 Tune - 430bhp - 630NM

"Understand the inertia of moving mass and adjust inputs accordingly, with hardware in mind. Anything is possible"
Octavius

Post by Octavius »

No second hand ones on eBay or from a breakers ?
G90

Post by G90 »

If it makes you feel better, I've had an award for academic distinction on an automotive engineering and design course and still know f all on the grand scheme of things. 🤣

On a positive note 95k is more than a lot of folk get out of a turbo. Religious oil changes and letting the engine warm up properly as well as idle at the end of a drive definitely go a long way to preserving turbo life. Despite improvements in turbo and oil technology I stand by turbo timers or just sitting in the car and letting things cool for a minute or longer after a hard drive before shutting it off. My mate follows that philosophy and has seen 250k on a stock turbo. My record so far is 160k and the seals were just starting to weep, but I sold that car.

You could get the turbo rebuilt or sent in on an exchange basis for a refurb unit provided the housing isn't damaged.

Half the time when you trade in a car they don't even properly check it as it just gets punted to auction unless it's newer and worth putting on the forecourt. Wbac is a possibility or alternative company. I sold the 120d to an equivalent company and the guy that checked the car didn't notice the chain rattle.
If it was the old days. I'd I've unplugged the turbo so there's no boost and more so no whine but reckon now it'll throw an engine light straight away.

But I'd look in to rebuild costs. You'd still have labour on the removal and refit and maybe a few days hire car for rhe mrs but usually always cheaper, there will be a company somewhere offering good turnaround times.
In my personal experience, cars always go wrong when you least need it.
Or alternatively /salvage yards for a used one. Thick oil might shut it up but with the way it sounds now I reckon it won't fully silence it.

Edit** as usual just to make sense. Wiped out earlier for the 2nd time in a week with a migraine so wasn't long up when I wrote this originally. 🤣
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange(Manual)
Previous 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Chapscrap »

If you do go down the used turbo route, (and they’re easy to change, no coding or anything, a few hours maybe for a decent spannerman assuming no seized bolts) make sure you change the oil feed pipe to the turbocharger, or at least make sure it’s clear of carbon/burnt oil residue. A blocked or restricted oil feed pipe is a common cause of turbocharger bearing failure, along with a lack of oil changes.
Personally given the cars history, model and age I’d try and get rid.
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

I think WBAC may be the way forward personally. They offer 2385 today, on her condition ( its an absolute state ) I would be happy with 1600. There is def blocked oil feeds, I took the cap off to find solidified residue under it, and a lot of it.

Tried the second hand / reconditioned route, parts simply don't exist, and garages won't touch it.

"Understand the inertia of moving mass and adjust inputs accordingly, with hardware in mind. Anything is possible"
G90

Post by G90 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECONDITIONE ... 2030084514

https://turbodiesel.cc/?s=Kia+Ceed&post_type=product

Not overly sure on the engine code part number but don't know if that helps.

Edit** Had to look at my bank there to see the wbac equivalent I sold my old car to. Wbac online offered 6.3k (trade in price) car was near immaculate to look at and they offered me 4k when I took it down, in hindsight it was a little bad on my part as when he went to recheck the price I just got in the car and left as don't appreciate my time being wasted.

https://www.thecarbuyinggroup.co.uk/ is who I used. They also tried a low ball of 500 less but when I said I'd sell it private they gave me the 6.3k i was after.
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange(Manual)
Previous 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Get it minted up, some thick oil, then try WBAC and see what they offer. If it's around the £1500-1600 mark then take it.

If they notice the issues then you would need to do the recon turbo. To be honest, it's not that taxing to change anything on a car yourself with a decent set of spanners.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

Chapscrap
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Chapscrap »

If going the webac route I’d be tempted to go sooner rather than later. The next thing to fail will be the bearing oil seal, which will result in clouds of blue smoke, blocked DPF, blocked catalyst, and EML lights on the dash. Don’t overfill it with the thick oil before going - I’d put some 20/50 in it, which will hopefully deal with the oil pressure light short term. Btw, faulty senders aren’t unheard of.
At least you’ve had your money’s worth out of it by the sound of things.
How about an electric car for your wife? Virtually zero basic maintenance 🤣
Current: June 2019 M140 auto Shadow, Sunset Orange/Oyster/Adaptive, + options.
Gone: Too numerous to list, but I am quite old.
CoupeSilver
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CoupeSilver »

Octavius wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 pm No second hand ones on eBay or from a breakers ?

I thought this too.
Also, I thought there were places that could refurb/rebuild turbos at a fraction of the cost?

Nevermind, just read it's been thought of already.
Titanium Silver E82 125i M-Sport Coupe (2011)
Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

These are properly helpful thanks, if we can scoop up that 250 pound one thats a huge difference / saving, and could save the day.

I am waiting on word back from a mechanic friend who is looking to source the parts and quote for the job, if that's no good, this may be the next route. Don't mind spending a bit / fair amount to get it going, just don't want to be into 4 figures.

Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

Found a turbo from a breakers on Ebay at 175 - mechanic friend says can fit for 150 - plus oil and filter at 50 - so labour cost 200. I am now rushing to get the part bought - amazing quote!

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty »

Good news. :)

Dizeee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Dizeee »

Fingers crossed

Return to “Other Cars”