Car for the misses

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Car for the misses

Post by RJW_1989 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Alright everyone just looking for peoples opinions really ill try keep it short.

basically i have just bought a new house and it means that my girlfriend will need to travel on the motorway to get to work , now she doesnt think that driving on the m62 everyday is an issue .... in her fiat 500 , but i do, been in the inside lane with all the wagons etc just doesnt sit well with me. Anyway , we own her car its only got about 8 thousand on it so im thinking part ex value would be about 4 and a half grand for something with a bit more power for her on the motorway .

Then I had a light bulb moment , what if we get her something with a bit more shove and factor more miles into the deal , that way i can drive it and keep the miles off my 140.

we are looking at something between 15-18 grand , 5 doors and as close to 200 bhp as possible it doesnt have to be brand new.
so far the one that has caught my eye is a mini cooper SD 1 year old with no deposit other than the fiat came in at £119 a month for 3 years which i think is alright.

im no badge snob or anything so would be pretty open to any kind of 5 door hot hatch ..... anyone have any thoughts on what else to consider? cheers

_ian
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Car for the misses

Post by _ian » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Mini came straight to mind - I've had a couple of Gen2's, and they felt pretty stable on the Mway, but the Gen3 really is another league when it comes to NVH.

I've driven courtesy car "One" spec Gen3 on the Mway and it felt more like a "BMW 0-series" than any Mini before. Don't rule out the petrol models, they are a bit more fun, and can have decent economy - I used to avg 39mpg in my (petrol) Cooper S according to the OBC.
Ian

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:18 pm

_ian wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:03 pm
Mini came straight to mind - I've had a couple of Gen2's, and they felt pretty stable on the Mway, but the Gen3 really is another league when it comes to NVH.

I've driven courtesy car "One" spec Gen3 on the Mway and it felt more like a "BMW 0-series" than any Mini before. Don't rule out the petrol models, they are a bit more fun, and can have decent economy - I used to avg 39mpg in my (petrol) Cooper S according to the OBC.
cheers for this mate , i cant believe how cheap they are either , must be because of the residuals ? sounds like you have a decent bit of experience with them is there anything spec wise i should definitely make sure that i have?

thanks again

_ian
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by _ian » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 am

It's very easy to go nuts with stripes and coloured dash trims etc, but I'd do heated screen and seats before anything else.

The stock radio looks a bit lost in the F56, so I'd certainly go boost (bigger colour screen) or Nav.

Adaptive suspension and radar cruise might be worthwhile if she is doing a lot of Motorway?

Oh, and I know they inevitably creak / add weight etc, but I loved the pan roof on my clubman.
Ian

jallen
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jallen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm

There’s absolutely nothing dangerous about driving a Fiat 500 on the motorway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary_LB
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Gary_LB » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Seat Leon Cupra or FR?
Now - 2017 Audi S4 Black Edition

Then - M235i, M135i, 120d M Sport Coupe, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Celica T Sport 190, VW Golf GTi Mk4, Saxo VTR

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Agree the Fiat should be fine, but if you want something with more shove, a Fiesta ST could be a good option.

Ford stopped making the Mk7 this year due to the Mk8 coming out next year, so there's a lot of second hand 'nearly new' ones now appearing on the market.

It was the car I part-ex'd for the 140i and in some ways I miss it a lot. The chassis is one of the best going (for the class) and handles amazingly well. They have lots of grunt and the 180 bhp figures are a red herring as they really make just short of 200 due to overboost, but EU law means Ford can't push that figure.

Get the ST-3 model and it has some of the fastest heated seats I've ever had, heated windscreen and all the mod cons.

Handle motorways no problem and if you get a go on the country lanes is a fantastic drivers car, will feel like a light rabid go kart after the BM :)

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:39 pm

How about an Audi A3 8V 1.8 TFSI? They're pretty quick cars for what they are and dare I say it, look smart as well. A bit harder to come across mind you.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 pm

RJW_1989 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm
Alright everyone just looking for peoples opinions really ill try keep it short.

basically i have just bought a new house and it means that my girlfriend will need to travel on the motorway to get to work , now she doesnt think that driving on the m62 everyday is an issue .... in her fiat 500 , but i do, been in the inside lane with all the wagons etc just doesnt sit well with me. Anyway , we own her car its only got about 8 thousand on it so im thinking part ex value would be about 4 and a half grand for something with a bit more power for her on the motorway .

Then I had a light bulb moment , what if we get her something with a bit more shove and factor more miles into the deal , that way i can drive it and keep the miles off my 140.

we are looking at something between 15-18 grand , 5 doors and as close to 200 bhp as possible it doesnt have to be brand new.
so far the one that has caught my eye is a mini cooper SD 1 year old with no deposit other than the fiat came in at £119 a month for 3 years which i think is alright.

im no badge snob or anything so would be pretty open to any kind of 5 door hot hatch ..... anyone have any thoughts on what else to consider? cheers
I wouldn't touch the diesel Cooper. Ruins a great little car. The Cooper 1.5 petrol is a cracking engine. :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

SSN17
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SSN17 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Agree the Fiat should be fine, but if you want something with more shove, a Fiesta ST could be a good option.

Ford stopped making the Mk7 this year due to the Mk8 coming out next year, so there's a lot of second hand 'nearly new' ones now appearing on the market.

It was the car I part-ex'd for the 140i and in some ways I miss it a lot. The chassis is one of the best going (for the class) and handles amazingly well. They have lots of grunt and the 180 bhp figures are a red herring as they really make just short of 200 due to overboost, but EU law means Ford can't push that figure.

Get the ST-3 model and it has some of the fastest heated seats I've ever had, heated windscreen and all the mod cons.

Handle motorways no problem and if you get a go on the country lanes is a fantastic drivers car, will feel like a light rabid go kart after the BM :)
Don't think the Fiesta ST's came in 5 doors? If not, the focus isn't a bad shout!

RJW_1989
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:07 am

cheers for this everyone ,
We have been and looked at the following.
Fiesta ST3 - 5 door
Polo GTI five Door
Mini Cooper S
MiniCooper SD

its not that i think the 500 is a bad car or not safe or anything, its just that motorway driving is new to the misses so id like to make it as easy for her as possible to transition into , its paid off now as well and out of warranty and the "Fix It Again Tomorrow" is starting to ring true so its just time for it to go.
It looks like the cooper S auto is the one she wants which im happy with itll make life alot easier in keeping the miles off the 140 haha , i dont know how they do it but the mini's were the only car on that list sub £150 a month it just seems like a no brainer to me ?

Cheers

danscfc

Post by danscfc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Sub 150???

Wow. I might look at one for the missus in that case.
Current - Polo GTI 2015

Mike140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mike140i » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Literally just did this too...ended up trading in the 500 for a Q2 S line. Great car, safe and more importantly she likes to drive it. Only a 1.4 but the COD give you great mpg and it’s not too slow with the turbo.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:49 pm

The Mini's do seem cheap, I've been looking at a Clubman or Countryman for my Mrs to swap for the E91 and even 66 plate cars are only around £16k ish.

I did fill in the form last week for the 48hr test drives they are offering but have not heard anything back as yet.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

identti

Post by identti » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 pm
RJW_1989 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm

I wouldn't touch the diesel Cooper. Ruins a great little car. The Cooper 1.5 petrol is a cracking engine. :)
Agreed! My friend had the Paceman SD (god knows why) - the engine was DREADFUL! The least refined engine I have ever felt. The whole dash vibrated under load and it didn't even feel quick.

Used Golf GTi/GTD or 118d/120d/125d?

Return to “Other Cars”