Hyundai i30N

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Hyundai i30N

Post by marco_polo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

Octavius wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 am
RONHULLOCK wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:27 pm
Octavius wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:02 pm

It was a pale lilac colour. Wouldn’t be seen dead in it.
That colour is supposed to be performance blue😂
I will see if I can get a pic if I’m passing.
All the one's I've seen have been pale Lilac so far, looks really nasty. Not as bad as those primer grey Audi's, but it's a close second place.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

RONHULLOCK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RONHULLOCK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:18 pm

The pale lilac(performance blue)seems to be the colour that Hyundai have chosen as the launch colour 🤮

danscfc

Post by danscfc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm

RONHULLOCK wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm
Even the i30n performance isn’t really a hot hatch,it’s miles away from the 140i,rs3,focus rs etc,it’s more a warm hatch,it’s in the focus st,Megan rs,Astra vxr kind of performance area.
Ron,

Your idea of hot hatches is way off the mark if you’d describe the i30N and Megane Rs as ‘warm hatches’.

I’ve read so many posts on here about the 140 being a great daily but not finding themselves taking it out at the weekend for a fun drive, or not being so excitable after a few weeks.

Drive before you judge, I’ve driven both, all be it the 140 on a 20min test drive but despite being the quicker car, it didn’t make me smile like the i30N did.

I was gutted when I couldn’t get insured on the 140, but I gave this thing ago and it blew me away.

The 140 is a great daily, but if you want a ‘drivers’ car, a B road weapon, a car that makes you smile EVERY time you jump out of it, then the Hyundai and the Megane are far better choices.

It’s all about what you want in a car.

Re colour, I take your point about the blue, I don’t like it either - clean slate image attached, I think this is the best colour of the lot - https://carwitter.com/2017/11/04/hyunda ... ck-review/

Again, all down to personal preference, but don’t write it off until you’ve properly driven it.

danscfc

Post by danscfc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 pm

RickN55 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am
Can't believe the price of these things! Sure they don't look bad for an Hyundai compared to the crap they normally make, But the price tag given how cheap the fit and finish looks! And the engine sounds dreadful
Dreadful? It sounds incredible.

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am

danscfc wrote:
RONHULLOCK wrote:
Even the i30n performance isn’t really a hot hatch,it’s miles away from the 140i,rs3,focus rs etc,it’s more a warm hatch,it’s in the focus st,Megan rs,Astra vxr kind of performance area.
Ron,

Your idea of hot hatches is way off the mark if you’d describe the i30N and Megane Rs as ‘warm hatches’.

I’ve read so many posts on here about the 140 being a great daily but not finding themselves taking it out at the weekend for a fun drive, or not being so excitable after a few weeks.

Drive before you judge, I’ve driven both, all be it the 140 on a 20min test drive but despite being the quicker car, it didn’t make me smile like the i30N did.

I was gutted when I couldn’t get insured on the 140, but I gave this thing ago and it blew me away.

The 140 is a great daily, but if you want a ‘drivers’ car, a B road weapon, a car that makes you smile EVERY time you jump out of it, then the Hyundai and the Megane are far better choices.

Re colour, I take your point about the blue, I don’t like it either - clean slate image attached, I think this is the best colour of the lot - https://carwitter.com/2017/11/04/hyunda ... ck-review/

Again, all down to personal preference, but don’t write it off until you’ve properly driven it.
I would agree with you here, and to point out on track or a bumpy b road, a 4 year old Megane trophy 275 would ditch all bar the professional drivers in a 140 or 240 so, it depends on weather judging straight line speed or overall performance, I judge overall and and the Megane is definitely hot hatch. (240 owner from Megane rs previous lol)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am

danscfc wrote:
RONHULLOCK wrote:
Ron,

I would agree with you here, and to point out on track or a bumpy b road, a 4 year old Megane trophy 275 would ditch all bar the professional drivers in a 140 or 240 so, it depends on weather judging straight line speed or overall performance, I judge overall and and the Megane is definitely hot hatch. (240 owner from Megane rs previous lol)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RickN55

Post by RickN55 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

danscfc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 pm
RickN55 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am
Can't believe the price of these things! Sure they don't look bad for an Hyundai compared to the crap they normally make, But the price tag given how cheap the fit and finish looks! And the engine sounds dreadful
Dreadful? It sounds incredible.
Sounds way too false and tacky for me but each to their own like
Now - F21 2013 Alpine White M135i Auto (Sun protection package, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, High Gloss shadowline Finish, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)
Before - Focus ST Stage 1, Astra 1.8 SRi, Clio 1.2

identti

Post by identti » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Deadlysub wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm
I test drove one and loved but something needs to give with regards finance. I haven’t had one reasonable quote yet. Apart from early adopters I just don’t know how they are going to shift them.

Great car, Hyundai just need to support them with a decent finance package.
Agreed! Need a very persuasive finance package or the majority of people are just not gonna go for a £30k Hyundai even if it is good.

RONHULLOCK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RONHULLOCK » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

danscfc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm
RONHULLOCK wrote:
Ron,

In the world of hot hatches I don’t think 275bhp cuts it anymore,you only compared the i30n to a 140i,maybe you should compare it to the rs3,focus rs,and the civic type r,at the moment these are the holy trinity in my hot hatch heaven,the 140 is still the god though👌🏻

danscfc

Post by danscfc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 pm

RONHULLOCK wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm
danscfc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm
RONHULLOCK wrote:
Ron,

In the world of hot hatches I don’t think 275bhp cuts it anymore,you only compared the i30n to a 140i,maybe you should compare it to the rs3,focus rs,and the civic type r,at the moment these are the holy trinity in my hot hatch heaven,the 140 is still the god though👌🏻
The RS3, like the A45 are in a market of there own pricewise, call them Hyperhatches even.
The Civic Type R advertises a 0-60mph of 5.7sec.
The i30N has already hit the 5.5sec mark.
Hot hatches are not about raw speed, but if thats what you judge on then the i30N matches, if not beats it in a line.
Put the 140 on a line with an i30N, Type R, Megane RS and yes it beats them - but hot hatches are supposed to be a drivers car, a B road weapon if you will. The 3 cars mentioned above would leave the 140 on a given country road. They all excel in different areas and that deserves acknowledging.
Take the BMW blinkers off for one moment and realise that there are new kids on the block, and they’re not messing around.
Every other major motoring establishment agrees, don’t be blind to it mate.
Current - Polo GTI 2015

RONHULLOCK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RONHULLOCK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am

Have a look on YouTube,there is a video of an i30n vs Peugeot 308gti vs golf Gti performance doing a lap of what looks like the Nurburgring f1 circuit the Hyundai has its ass wupped by the Peugeot which is only a 1.6 by a full 2 seconds even the golf is over half a second quicker,nuff said.

identti

Post by identti » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

RONHULLOCK wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am
Have a look on YouTube,there is a video of an i30n vs Peugeot 308gti vs golf Gti performance doing a lap of what looks like the Nurburgring f1 circuit the Hyundai has its ass wupped by the Peugeot which is only a 1.6 by a full 2 seconds even the golf is over half a second quicker,nuff said.
EVO did a review on these in the latest issue I believe. The 308GTi does seem rapid especially for a 1.6! I think the main reason was because the Pug weighs about 1200kg whereas the Hyundai was closer to 1500kg, but they still said as an overall driving experience the Hyundai was better and more composed more of the time.

I used to have a Clio Trophy on semi-slicks but a well-driven 308GTi was far too quick to keep up with. I was impressed!

RONHULLOCK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RONHULLOCK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

So maybe the 308gti would make the better fast five door hatch,pcp s are cheaper too.

RONHULLOCK
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RONHULLOCK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:12 pm

RONHULLOCK wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am
Sorry just checked the video again,the pug was actually 3 seconds faster on the lap😂

danscfc

Post by danscfc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Aaaand I’ve just watched 2 seperate vids by 2 seperate people and the i30n beats the 308gti...

Some balance for you there.
Current - Polo GTI 2015

Return to “Other Cars”