Jags.. XK8/XJS

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Jags.. XK8/XJS

Post by Karlos28 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Fancy swapping my midget for one.. want something newer and more reliable(???) With longer legs for a few driving holidays.

Anyone had many experiences? I really want an XK8 but not sure if I will be able to get out of it in my garage.. I know the 4.2 is slightly better in terms of reliability and I can just get them in budget (about 8k).

Either that or a TVR S2/3/4 but I think they are a bit midgety still...

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Jags.. XK8/XJS

Post by docwra » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

XJS is not reliable, and can be a pig to work on too (inboard brakes anyone?), they rust like rust itself too. Lovely cars but I think you have to be committed to own one, whether you take that as "dedicated" or "certifiable" is up to you :lol:

XK8's and XKR's are much more reasonable prospects, Ive seen a few from 350Z and 200SX worlds move onto them and they have all had good things to say. They are bargains atm and the R's are quick motors, Ive been tempted myself but Im not sure Im old enough yet ;)

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah I used to have a 200sx. Loved having a coupe/gt type car. It was my daily so wasn't practical really. The cab of the xk felt very much the same as my 200sx. Problem is, all the drifters have ruined/written most good ones off!

I'm definitely not old enough.. But I don't I've a toss, its a nice car, sounds well looks well and goes well! Haha I think the R is just out of budget..

Carl_120dcab

Post by Carl_120dcab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I think the late XJS can be a very good car. But a really good one is likely out of budget.

I have an xj with the same AJ6 engine (3.2 not the 4.0) and they are hugely reliable units. I’m talking from 9 years ownership experience on that one.

If you were to get one, post Ford take over are the best (better electrics, better rust proofing, better in general) but the XK is an overall better car, currently good ones are cheaper too!

Karlos28
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Karlos28 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Yeah, went to look at an XJS too, as it was local. It was about 12k I think, in reasonable nick, still has a few spots of rust on the sills.. beautiful engine bay, I would want the straight 6 rather than V12, think it would just be far too much work and too much fuel!

Need to sell the midget before I can do much anyway!

Return to “Other Cars”