Crashed M135i F21 Bought......E92 M3 Ltd 500!

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

GeorgeM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Crashed M135i F21 Bought......E92 M3 Ltd 500!

Post by GeorgeM135i » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:49 am

Quick Update for everyone.....

Sorry I've not been on in some time....been having a bit too much fun in the M3.

I cannot give this car enough credit, it drives like it is meant to be on a track.

You can hang the tail out of corners and adjust the slide easily with a blip of the throttle which i found a problem with the M135i as I was either picking up to much speed whilst trying this or the electronic diff was arguing with the fact it was sliding.

LSD is a massive benefit and it is going to be a definitely a requirement for any future cars.

Breakdown compared to the M135i.

MPG's - 25 MPG (M135i) vs 18-20Mpg's (m3) = So a little less miles for the buck but easily affordable if you can already afford the m135i.
Tyres - I have gone through 2 rear tyres in 3 months sooooo its safe to say this chews tyres up faster than the m135i (it seems to be ripping chunks out of the tyres not sure if the rear track/camber is slightly out)
Oil - I have given the car a fresh oil change + filter and air filter (9 litres!) so safe to say the servicing costs are slightly dearer on the m3 as I had a service pack with the m135i but not massively £200 all in with the castrol edge full synthetic oil.
Insurance jumped from £900 on the m135i to £2200 on the m3 (but i had my car stolen, crashed into by a pissed uninsured driver whilst parked up and i wrote it off :/) so pretty suprised its only gone up £1300.
tax - £515 1 year (double that of the m135i)
monthly payment £380 (m3) - £500 (m135i - it can be gotten cheaper now but mine was massively specced to 40k with a 18% discount)

although this cost can be re-gained in equity within the car - there are 3 frozen editions currently on autotrader cheapest being £38k and i thoroughly believe with this being the last real power house car (NA v8) it will hold value (yet to see but i have found newer m3 and m4s selling for less than the e92 frozen editions and the m135i has taken a MAHOOSIVE drop in price im finding some for 15k 2-3 years old thats a hefty price drop albeit hopefully leveling out....tho this does give people who dont want to spend lots on cars a cheap alternative to a very fast usable performance car if i wasnt able to get something for 30-40k i'd happily get a 4 year old m135i for 12-15k (250-300 per month max) so again something to think about if your one who wants power but has a lower budget?

round town drives i prefer the m135i and believe it would be quicker if you were to say shut of a section of town street as the short bursts and lightness of the m135i conquer the m3 (not a massive amount of low end torque)

on a track if both cars were driven by lets say the stig i believe thats where you would see the big difference in these cars, not to sure on which is more of a standout feature the fact that a 1 series is now as quick as last phase road going track cars (m3) or the fact that a past phase bmw is as fast as the newer model twin-scroll turbos)

I have had a few meetings with new m4s and been happily suprised with the m3 keeping up on straights and in bends.

where the m3 shines so much is the pure balance of the car as i said before you can hit a corner and come out of it completely sideways with masses of control its as if the car was made to go sideways. (i suppose to an extent it was)

Looking forward to another 20months in this car then (providing insurance is willing) my misses is going to inherit this and I will be going for a jag f type or porsche panamera (i know a big sidestep from the m3) but i cant help but think they will be a brilliant machine to drive its still a v8 and pushes a 2+ ton car to 60 in 5seconds flat. that is something....

anyone who is thinking of a swap to an e92 m3 do it you will not be disappointed the sense of enjoyment from this car is more than that of the m135i although i do love the m135i its a brilliant car and works better as a daily car you wont get the smile on your face the the m3 can and the noise is just second to none. when it hits 4k+ and those exhaust bellow out a low tone growl it sends shivers down your spine.

(sorry for the long winded essay but theres so much to go on about with this car, oh and if you do get one get it with the i-drive, edc, comp pack + h&k speakers the sound is crisp!)
George
Current: Mercedes C63 2013
Past:
E92 M3 Frozen Edition 12 Reg - Lots of extras
F21 M135i Saphire Black 15 Reg
Mercedes CLA220 AMG Auto 14 Reg
Renault Clio Sport 55 Reg

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Kerr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:22 pm

GeorgeM135i wrote:Quick Update for everyone.....

Sorry I've not been on in some time....been having a bit too much fun in the M3.

I cannot give this car enough credit, it drives like it is meant to be on a track.

You can hang the tail out of corners and adjust the slide easily with a blip of the throttle which i found a problem with the M135i as I was either picking up to much speed whilst trying this or the electronic diff was arguing with the fact it was sliding.

LSD is a massive benefit and it is going to be a definitely a requirement for any future cars.

Breakdown compared to the M135i.

MPG's - 25 MPG (M135i) vs 18-20Mpg's (m3) = So a little less miles for the buck but easily affordable if you can already afford the m135i.
Tyres - I have gone through 2 rear tyres in 3 months sooooo its safe to say this chews tyres up faster than the m135i (it seems to be ripping chunks out of the tyres not sure if the rear track/camber is slightly out)
Oil - I have given the car a fresh oil change + filter and air filter (9 litres!) so safe to say the servicing costs are slightly dearer on the m3 as I had a service pack with the m135i but not massively £200 all in with the castrol edge full synthetic oil.
Insurance jumped from £900 on the m135i to £2200 on the m3 (but i had my car stolen, crashed into by a pissed uninsured driver whilst parked up and i wrote it off :/) so pretty suprised its only gone up £1300.
tax - £515 1 year (double that of the m135i)
monthly payment £380 (m3) - £500 (m135i - it can be gotten cheaper now but mine was massively specced to 40k with a 18% discount)

although this cost can be re-gained in equity within the car - there are 3 frozen editions currently on autotrader cheapest being £38k and i thoroughly believe with this being the last real power house car (NA v8) it will hold value (yet to see but i have found newer m3 and m4s selling for less than the e92 frozen editions and the m135i has taken a MAHOOSIVE drop in price im finding some for 15k 2-3 years old thats a hefty price drop albeit hopefully leveling out....tho this does give people who dont want to spend lots on cars a cheap alternative to a very fast usable performance car if i wasnt able to get something for 30-40k i'd happily get a 4 year old m135i for 12-15k (250-300 per month max) so again something to think about if your one who wants power but has a lower budget?

round town drives i prefer the m135i and believe it would be quicker if you were to say shut of a section of town street as the short bursts and lightness of the m135i conquer the m3 (not a massive amount of low end torque)

on a track if both cars were driven by lets say the stig i believe thats where you would see the big difference in these cars, not to sure on which is more of a standout feature the fact that a 1 series is now as quick as last phase road going track cars (m3) or the fact that a past phase bmw is as fast as the newer model twin-scroll turbos)

I have had a few meetings with new m4s and been happily suprised with the m3 keeping up on straights and in bends.

where the m3 shines so much is the pure balance of the car as i said before you can hit a corner and come out of it completely sideways with masses of control its as if the car was made to go sideways. (i suppose to an extent it was)

Looking forward to another 20months in this car then (providing insurance is willing) my misses is going to inherit this and I will be going for a jag f type or porsche panamera (i know a big sidestep from the m3) but i cant help but think they will be a brilliant machine to drive its still a v8 and pushes a 2+ ton car to 60 in 5seconds flat. that is something....

anyone who is thinking of a swap to an e92 m3 do it you will not be disappointed the sense of enjoyment from this car is more than that of the m135i although i do love the m135i its a brilliant car and works better as a daily car you wont get the smile on your face the the m3 can and the noise is just second to none. when it hits 4k+ and those exhaust bellow out a low tone growl it sends shivers down your spine.

(sorry for the long winded essay but theres so much to go on about with this car, oh and if you do get one get it with the i-drive, edc, comp pack + h&k speakers the sound is crisp!)

Find me 2 year old M135is for £15k and I know someone who will buy every single one.

I made that point to you earlier in the thread a few times. Why do you continously understate the prices of the M135i by a margin, but keep exaggerating the prices of M3s. Why do you keep doing that? What are you trying to prove?

The new M3/M4 is significantly faster than the E9x version. It shouldn't be close in a straight line, but obviously corners are down to the driving. Not many people will drive on the limits of a 420 bhp car on the road.

Ripping chucks out the rear tyres and lasting less than 3 months?

Have you had the car properly checked for accident damage yet? As I said earlier the colour difference suggests an accident, ripping chunks out of the rear tyres suggests something is well out too.

jp1

Post by jp1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Have been considering putting my 135i back to standard, selling up and trying an M3 as a daily so this thread is an interesting read. Really fancy a manual 4 door but will have to see what crops up in the coming months.

GeorgeM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeorgeM135i » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm

First of all to address the pricing of M135i

Go to Autotrader and Ebay you will find reams of M135i's with DTC boxes for Sub 16k. The arse has fell out of the price of them even more recently as the M140i has become the new top class 1series.

That said on to the point of how AMAZING the M3 is.

I have had both the M135i for 14months and now the e92 M3 Frozen edition for 7-8months. It is unbelievable and in a completely different class the the M135i.

There isnt much in it in the shoot to 60 as its none turbo but that aside it is a completely different monster, going sideways in this feels like it should do, the car doesnt fight the sideways feel. (Not to bash the m135i as it is a brilliant motor for the price)

I have fell in love with the m3, everything about it the sound when your at low revs the scream of that v8 when you start to wind up the engine properly. Its blissful, and maybe it is down to drivers but I've come into contact with new gen m3/m4s and lots of Porsche's and theyve seen the rear pipes of the m3 flutter away.

The car has a perfect balance, whether you want to hit corners fast or just simply drift side to side around s bends it handles both with perfection, bmw and the engineers at M division created something special here.

So to any of the M135i drivers looking to swap to a E92 M3 I wouldnt hesitate it will be the best car based decision you will make. Other than the lack of Mpg's compared to the m135i it beats it on everything else. I suggest to spec for comp pack, H&K's, Heated Seats and Media Package.

As I expected with the E9x M3's the price seems to have hit a low point of 18-25k for normal M3's, the lowest I have found of the E92 M3 Frozen silver is £34,500 which is the only one currently on Autotrader that is actually a frozen silver not a deceitful post by the salesmen.

I am now looking at the Mustang GT 5.0 2015> as it has the v8 I am looking for out of any future cars and is a lovely machine, with the m3 I believe becoming a collectors car, I am going to try and park that up in my garage and preserve its beauty! I feel slightly wrong sliding it sideways which is sad really!

I have a friend who has a M135i now contemplating the switch to a e92 m3 aswell!
George
Past:

GeorgeM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by GeorgeM135i » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:51 pm

"Find me 2 year old M135is for £15k and I know someone who will buy every single one.

I made that point to you earlier in the thread a few times. Why do you continously understate the prices of the M135i by a margin, but keep exaggerating the prices of M3s. Why do you keep doing that? What are you trying to prove?

The new M3/M4 is significantly faster than the E9x version. It shouldn't be close in a straight line, but obviously corners are down to the driving. Not many people will drive on the limits of a 420 bhp car on the road.

Ripping chucks out the rear tyres and lasting less than 3 months?

Have you had the car properly checked for accident damage yet? As I said earlier the colour difference suggests an accident, ripping chunks out of the rear tyres suggests something is well out too"

Was a tracking issue but since having the tracking done I have still gone through 3 sets of rear tyres in 7 months. (maybe the way i drive has something to do with it.

Had a detailer take a look at the paint and he doesnt think there has been any damage though he did say they tend to fade the frozen color's so not sure whether that may have been a factor and I've been into BMW to check any history of the car and they have assured its had no repairs (not to say it could of gone to any further garages)

And with the 15k M135i's have a look on ebay and autotrader they have dropped massively since the M140i has come out. As they arent a special car and are on tap basically for how many are being made there isnt going to be a good residual value in them. Where as the M3 is going to hold its value with it being the last NA V8 to be in a m3 and because of its heritage. I would put money on the e92 m3's going up in price within the next 3-4 years. Maybe you will still get the odd one or two for sub 19k but they will have 100k+ miles and have been ragged. Anything that has been kept in good condition will hold its value. current frozen edition m3s are sat at 30-45k depending on where you look. and I can only find one on autotrader for 34.5k at the moment which is lacking a full carbon pack!

Either way both cars are really nice cars but the e92 m3 its just so so good its a car that really makes you fall in love!
George
Past:

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:02 pm

GeorgeM135i wrote:First of all to address the pricing of M135i

Go to Autotrader and Ebay you will find reams of M135i's with DTC boxes for Sub 16k. The arse has fell out of the price of them even more recently as the M140i has become the new top class 1series.

That said on to the point of how AMAZING the M3 is.

I have had both the M135i for 14months and now the e92 M3 Frozen edition for 7-8months. It is unbelievable and in a completely different class the the M135i.

There isnt much in it in the shoot to 60 as its none turbo but that aside it is a completely different monster, going sideways in this feels like it should do, the car doesnt fight the sideways feel. (Not to bash the m135i as it is a brilliant motor for the price)

I have fell in love with the m3, everything about it the sound when your at low revs the scream of that v8 when you start to wind up the engine properly. Its blissful, and maybe it is down to drivers but I've come into contact with new gen m3/m4s and lots of Porsche's and theyve seen the rear pipes of the m3 flutter away.

The car has a perfect balance, whether you want to hit corners fast or just simply drift side to side around s bends it handles both with perfection, bmw and the engineers at M division created something special here.

So to any of the M135i drivers looking to swap to a E92 M3 I wouldnt hesitate it will be the best car based decision you will make. Other than the lack of Mpg's compared to the m135i it beats it on everything else. I suggest to spec for comp pack, H&K's, Heated Seats and Media Package.

As I expected with the E9x M3's the price seems to have hit a low point of 18-25k for normal M3's, the lowest I have found of the E92 M3 Frozen silver is £34,500 which is the only one currently on Autotrader that is actually a frozen silver not a deceitful post by the salesmen.

I am now looking at the Mustang GT 5.0 2015> as it has the v8 I am looking for out of any future cars and is a lovely machine, with the m3 I believe becoming a collectors car, I am going to try and park that up in my garage and preserve its beauty! I feel slightly wrong sliding it sideways which is sad really!

I have a friend who has a M135i now contemplating the switch to a e92 m3 aswell!
Why do you only ever come back just to knock the M135i and big up the M3?

Reams of DTC (it isn't DTC by the way) for under £16k on Autotrader?

The very cheapest M135i is £16,294 on Autotrader. How come you see reams of them?

Why keep coming back and just making up all the same drivel every time? Are you sure you're enjoying your car than much when you have to keep knocking other cars to justify your own?

Have you missed the E92 M3s at £13,750? You're missing all those frozen cars with competition packs, low miles and in one colour too.

How do you keep seeing M135is for much cheaper than they are, but see M3s much more expensive than they are?

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Yeah, I know its modifying rather than out of the box but an M135i with M3 control arms, good tyres and a diff is a better handling and more wieldy car than an E92 M3, its over 200KG lighter for a start. Add a map on it and it will be considerably faster too.

As for the rest I agree with Kerr and if you think it wont drop money youre dreaming, its a comp pack M3 thats a different colour, hardly a CSL is it? :lol:

M3's are great, no doubt but they really need driving hard to get the best out of them and they are too big and too fast to do that on the road IMO.

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:13 pm

You've made a mess of the quoting too.

The M135i is no more common than the M3. There's 50% more M3 V8s for sale on Autotrader then there is M135is.

One of us clearly has a faulty version of Autotrader though.

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

My cousin picked up a mint 2010 m3 CP frozen grey for £23k
This was a trade in at a dealership where he works.
They are still on their way down.
2017 M2

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 pm

docwra wrote:Yeah, I know its modifying rather than out of the box but an M135i with M3 control arms, good tyres and a diff is a better handling and more wieldy car than an E92 M3, its over 200KG lighter for a start. Add a map on it and it will be considerably faster too.

As for the rest I agree with Kerr and if you think it wont drop money youre dreaming, its a comp pack M3 thats a different colour, hardly a CSL is it? :lol:

M3's are great, no doubt but they really need driving hard to get the best out of them and they are too big and too fast to do that on the road IMO.
Have you driven a supercharged e92 m3?
If you had then you wouldnt have made this quoted comment honestly.
The e92 has the chassis to cope with 700hp, the m135i as much as i love the car has the chassis for 250hp stock, possibly less.
Range Rover Vogue v8 17 Matt black 22" wheels
Red Alfa

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Where did supercharged come into it? Its £10K before fitting! :lol:

I have driven 3 x E92 M3's though, including one round Spa. Ive also driven a couple of 1M's, 2 mapped 135i's with suspension done and have owned one for 2 years. Id be the first to admit that out of the box tyhe M3 is a better car, but with a bit of effort the 1er becomes much more rewarding.

From your comments its pretty clear that a) youre not really familiar with the word "relevant" and b) you havent driven a sorted 1 series. Why not give one a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm

docwra wrote:Where did supercharged come into it? Its £10K before fitting! :lol:

I have driven 3 x E92 M3's though, including one round Spa. Ive also driven a couple of 1M's, 2 mapped 135i's with suspension done and have owned one for 2 years. Id be the first to admit that out of the box tyhe M3 is a better car, but with a bit of effort the 1er becomes much more rewarding.

From your comments its pretty clear that a) youre not really familiar with the word "relevant" and b) you havent driven a sorted 1 series. Why not give one a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.
You would be very wrong then lol
You talking about modding a m135i so its faster and more capable than a e92m3, now to do that it requires jb4, exhausts mods, suspension, control arms, lsd, brakes, etc. The m3 need naff all.

Oh and so your aware i have owned and tuned the following 1 series 1m, 135i, 130i, 140i and next week i get a M2.
Red Alfa

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:15 pm

OK, so I only got the relevant bit, fair enough :lol:

I did actually say "I know its modifying rather than out of the box" but the guy is talking about comparing a £30K M3 with a £15K 1 series. Give me a 135i and £2500 and Ill have a faster, more economical and lighter car and wont have even got my hands dirty.

I dont think you need brakes (pads and hoses maybe but youd want them on the M3 too) or suspension either but each to their own.

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 pm

docwra wrote:OK, so I only got the relevant bit, fair enough :lol:

I did actually say "I know its modifying rather than out of the box" but the guy is talking about comparing a £30K M3 with a £15K 1 series. Give me a 135i and £2500 and Ill have a faster, more economical and lighter car and wont have even got my hands dirty.

I dont think you need brakes (pads and hoses maybe but youd want them on the M3 too) or suspension either but each to their own.
Yes good points.

I would also take the m135i over the v8 but i would need maybe 5k to keep me happy, LSD, springs, arms, tune, de-cat, mpe, mp brakes, and a few other bits.
Red Alfa

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Said it before, the E90 M3 really is too competent to drive with any real enthusiasm for long on UK roads. Unless of course you're a really talented driver who doesn't care about keeping your license/going to jail. Or maybe just drive like an irresponsible twat.
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Return to “Other Cars”