Merc A45 AMG

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

sp33dy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Merc A45 AMG

Post by sp33dy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Got a go in one today... :P

Took it around the Mercedes World circuit at Brooklands.

Thoughts....

Firstly Its very nice, and yeah its well quick for a 4 cyl 2 litre.

The 4x4 system on the car is amazing, but its a little too good to be honest. Even the instructor said "its kind of pointless trying to get it to go sideways", the 4x4 system puts a stop to that and with the toys switched off its still very hard to go sideways. So there was no drifting on the wet circle in that. Yet the 4x4 system really does show off its powers by not letting you lose it on slippery surfaces or under any heavy braking. Even flooring it on a wet surface was no issue - it just took off :)

Another plus was the noise the thing makes - wow...

Apparently the launch control system is not that good - instructors words not mine. But It felt like you wouldn't need it to be honest - being 4x4 it just grips and you fly off the line with little spin.

So if used as a normal "non track" type road car, then I guess the only downside is the cost of it.

I feel i need to take the M140 around there now... I'd love to compare the two against each other.

Anyone else had a go one of these, and whats your thoughts on it ?

I really wanna go in a M140 now... just to compare it.
2010 - E87 120d M Sport Space Grey.

Mods - OEM Xenon's, LED Rear Darkline's, Light Washers, Front PDC, CruiseCon, USB, Front Hi-Fi Mids & Tweeters, Paddle Shift Wheel, Diamond Vision 5000K H8's, Dash Storage Tray, 208M Alloys, BMW Aero Spoiler.

Red5
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Merc A45 AMG

Post by Red5 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:27 pm

I had a go in the older one and hated it!!!

Horrible squeeling understeer, then change of attitude mid corner if you reached the limit of what the fronts could do! Twack, in come the rears and big steering corrections required :(

Launch control was horrible too! Huge run-away wheel spin, followed by the big thud from under the car as the rears come into play.

Horrible inside and out!

I got dry and wet laps in the thing. It's the only car that has to be reigned in, as the front wheel squeeling upsets their neighbours :lol:

Who did you get as an instructor? I had a very strict racing driver called Paul Rees.
Gone
Tasty 130i
Very fast 135i
Volcano Grey Macan SD
Carmine Red Cayman GTS + LSD

Red5 & Semerka's Stable
Midnight Blue Macan Turbo + PTV and more
GT Silver Cayman 718 GTS Manual

(Team Rob)

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Launch control is really effective, but not quite as good as the RS3 but still hitting 60mph in 4sec is impressive.

They are too easy drive though. Anyone rubbish driver will be fast in an A45.

sp33dy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sp33dy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:11 pm

best not name the instructor on here, don't want to get the guy into any trouble by quoting his comments. He was a nice guy and he certainty wasn't strict at all... In fact he gave us lots of good tips on handling a car on circuit.

I din't notice any squeal either, it just griped with a little spin when pushed hard.

As per Kerrs comment.... driving these modern cars feels like you're really just the autopilot for the computer to be honest. Its all very easy, but it does leave you feeling a bit disconnected.
2010 - E87 120d M Sport Space Grey.

Mods - OEM Xenon's, LED Rear Darkline's, Light Washers, Front PDC, CruiseCon, USB, Front Hi-Fi Mids & Tweeters, Paddle Shift Wheel, Diamond Vision 5000K H8's, Dash Storage Tray, 208M Alloys, BMW Aero Spoiler.

Return to “Other Cars”