count down to collection!

Post your comments, thoughts, pictures etc of non BMW 1 Series cars here.....

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

count down to collection!

Post by talal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi all,

i had a separate thread discussing what i should spec up for my new car

this is what we went for:

440i Gran coupe
Carbon black with red dakota
msport plus kit
heated wheel
active cruise
comfort pack

I believe the car is already here, and i have been invited to a collection event on the 31st August between 9pm and midnight at the dealer for some food and entertainment and to be able to drive the car home at midnight.

So needless to say i am getting quite excited now, cant wait to get the car, I sold my Audi S5 far too early so have been struggling along in my run around for almost 2 months!

So questions are -

1. should i go to the event or is it all a bit naff? he described it as some entertainment, some food and they will show me how to hook my phone up etc. All sounds fine except i imagine that will fill about an hour of time... Anyone been to one of these? the alternative is i can go there at 8 am and collet the car on the 1st?

2. What should i be doing when i am collecting the car, what should i expect to do? Inspect it for damage? what common things should i be trying to spot on a new car?

3. i didn't order service pack when i ordered the car, when do i go about doing this and is it worth it?

4. I didn't go for any car paint protection, i am assuming that this is the same as getting a new car detail done? if so, is this somehting i can do myself? Id like to have a go myself and clay the car and add a wax, think it could be quite good fun... Anyone done this themselves or should i be getting BMW to do it?
BMW 440i - carbon black - great machine!
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone
Audi S4 Avant - Midnight blue - Lots of Toys (died)
BMW 130i LE No Mods Great as standard! - Now sadly gone...

GeeRam
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: count down to collection!

Post by GeeRam » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:45 am

talal wrote: 3. i didn't order service pack when i ordered the car, when do i go about doing this and is it worth it?
Should really have ordered it with the car, and yes it's very much worth it!

You need to ask your sales rep you've dealt with about adding the service pack, if you can, but BEFORE you collect the car.
talal wrote: 4. I didn't go for any car paint protection, i am assuming that this is the same as getting a new car detail done? if so, is this somehting i can do myself? Id like to have a go myself and clay the car and add a wax, think it could be quite good fun... Anyone done this themselves or should i be getting BMW to do it?
Don't let BMW do it :shock:

Send it to a pro detailer or yes do it yourself.
2017 X5 40d SE
Sold: 2011 E82 135i DCT The only Bluewater/Coral Red Leather 135i in the UK

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 am

There's a huge window for buying the service pack, it can still be bought 8 weeks after collection at the discounted rate.

You can buy one (at full price) at any time up until the first service.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 pm

How does the service pack work when I was ordering, think they had it for 5 years? Seems a bit long, I'll have the car half that time probably...

How many services would the car have in 3 years?
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:50 pm

How many miles would the car have done in 3 years?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:45 pm

id expect ill be doing around 10k per year so I assume that would equate to 3 services over 3 years or is the service life cycles longer?

is there a service between 1-5k ie a new car service?

Does anyone have any links for a guide to detailing new cars? What bits to use etc?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 pm

No run-in service, I'd expect the first service to be done at approx 20k or 2 years, which ever comes first.

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 pm

hmm don't fancy only servicing every 2 years, not a chance the oil survives that long... do they kick off about warranty if they figure out that I am doing my own intermittent services?

if the services are every 2 years then not sure a service pack is actually worth while at all, I would only have 1 service!

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:38 pm

talal wrote:hmm don't fancy only servicing every 2 years, not a chance the oil survives that long... do they kick off about warranty if they figure out that I am doing my own intermittent services?

if the services are every 2 years then not sure a service pack is actually worth while at all, I would only have 1 service!
Service isn't fixed interval based, its on demand, as worked out by the car with usage/combined with fixed schedules etc.

But, modern full synth oil will easily survive that long.

But, also, if you are only doing 10k/yr and only keeping the car for 3 years max, then yes, probably not worth you buying the service pack.
2017 X5 40d SE
Sold: 2011 E82 135i DCT The only Bluewater/Coral Red Leather 135i in the UK

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:47 pm

talal wrote:hmm don't fancy only servicing every 2 years, not a chance the oil survives that long... do they kick off about warranty if they figure out that I am doing my own intermittent services?

I do intermediate services myself (oil only, no filters), but I wouldn't be mentioning it!!

Modern oils can last about 650 hours between changes, but as this M-Lite is a long term chariot (with a turbo), I'm not risking it for £40 of oil here and there.

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:15 pm

i change the oil on all of my cars every year without fail even if there isn't a service due, i find it quite theraputic doing it and must be a bit of a placebo effect but i always feel like the car is running better after an oil change.

its £525 for a 5 year /50k service pack which actually if i get 2 services it will probably be cost neutral...

getting very excited about collecting the car now, my wife thinks im a right loser cos im collecting it at midnight!

andypandy428

Post by andypandy428 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 pm

I bought my 440i from TRL at end of June without the service pack. Have since decided that the car will be a keeper and so popped into my local dealer during the week (Coopers) to add the pack and they charged me £475 only.

You have 60 days from date of first registration of the car to add the pack at the discounted rate.
Current: F25 AW X3
Previous:F36 CB 440i F20 AW M135 auto; F32 428i; F30 320i; E46 318i

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:17 pm

awesome, ill look into it.

how are you finding the car?

andypandy428

Post by andypandy428 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Compared to the M135 it is much more refined and grown up. The engine note to my ears is also better (not been in a M140 so that might be a N55 to B58 thing), though it is not as quick. It's not slow by any means, but it is a different type of car. You'll love it - they are beautiful cars. I've had several compliments about it - first time anyone has passed comment on a car I've owned.
Current: F25 AW X3
Previous:F36 CB 440i F20 AW M135 auto; F32 428i; F30 320i; E46 318i

MAW73

Post by MAW73 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm

^

Good to know.

I can't wait to get my 4GC hopefully delivery in September.

Return to “Other Cars”