tracker

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

gashead

tracker

Post by gashead » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi,
Picking up my new 235I in a few weeks and I am debating whether to get a tracker fitted by the dealer, has anyone had one from bmw ? and if so do you think its worth the cash?,bit concerned about the number of beemers targeted by thieves!

R88
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: tracker

Post by R88 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 am

If you have the Remote Services option (also part of Media Package i.e. Pro Sat Nav) then you kinda already have a tracker:

stever_ss
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stever_ss » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:50 am

I thought that only worked if you were within a certain distance (10km?) of the car?
F22 M235i /// Mineral Grey /// 8AT /// Pro Media /// HK Audio /// Adaptive /// Cruise & PDC /// Folding mirrors /// Heated Seats

Hers: F45 218i SE /// Mediterranean Blue /// Nav /// Cruise
Happy memories: E82 125i Sport+ /// Le Mans Blue

R88
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R88 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 pm

stever_ss wrote:I thought that only worked if you were within a certain distance (10km?) of the car?
GPS data sent via (4G SIM) internet to your phone. There should be no inherent range limitation of the technology unless BMW intentionally code it in.

stever_ss
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by stever_ss » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:38 pm

R88 wrote:There should be no inherent range limitation of the technology unless BMW intentionally code it in.
I think they do. Seem to remember looking at mine once (for the E82) and it said something to the effect that location was only provided if you were within a minimum range. Wouldn't seem a totally daft security feature - the service is meant to be about finding your car in a given town/city - presumably you're meant to remember which one you parked it in.
F22 M235i /// Mineral Grey /// 8AT /// Pro Media /// HK Audio /// Adaptive /// Cruise & PDC /// Folding mirrors /// Heated Seats

Hers: F45 218i SE /// Mediterranean Blue /// Nav /// Cruise
Happy memories: E82 125i Sport+ /// Le Mans Blue

gashead

Post by gashead » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Yeah I have the pro media package so I will ask the dealer about the remote service thingy and its limitations .

LLKK

Post by LLKK » Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Sod the tracker - just get tracker stickers ... Prevention is better than the cure

R88
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R88 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:51 pm

stever_ss wrote:
R88 wrote:There should be no inherent range limitation of the technology unless BMW intentionally code it in.
I think they do. Seem to remember looking at mine once (for the E82) and it said something to the effect that location was only provided if you were within a minimum range. Wouldn't seem a totally daft security feature - the service is meant to be about finding your car in a given town/city - presumably you're meant to remember which one you parked it in.
Random update: Was over 30 miles away from my car the other day and the remote app still works.

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 pm

I think there's a limitation on the earlier cars, mines a 64 plate and is working at over 100 miles away..

2017 M2

pujajoshi

Post by pujajoshi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am

Which is the best car tracker?

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am

pujajoshi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am
Depends what you mean by 'best'. Best value, best all rounder, best overall service etc. You could have one that is the full package but you're not willing to pay the money if you see what I mean.

Personally, I feel that preventing theft is the priority, so I put my money into a Ghost immobilisor and just have the cheap TK103 tracker fitted as a backup.

I think the TK103's are certainly the best value anyway, as doesn't have any contract and bought off Amazon/Ebay or the slightly more pricier TK104.

I use with Giff Gaff SIM as I use it in my phone anyway, so the text messages are all free to and from the tracker. You control it purely by SMS though, so the limitation is if you or the tracker is in a poor signal area (affects a lot of trackers to be fair). They are hard wired though and can also be wired to text you if something like the internal light is triggered and if you really want you can remotely isolate wiring such as the fuel pump. I'd probably only use these features on an older more basic car.

pujajoshi

Post by pujajoshi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:48 am

Barney McGrew wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:21 am
pujajoshi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 am
Depends what you mean by 'best'. Best value, best all rounder, best overall service etc. You could have one that is the full package but you're not willing to pay the money if you see what I mean.

Personally, I feel that preventing theft is the priority, so I put my money into a Ghost immobilisor and just have the cheap TK103 tracker fitted as a backup.

I think the TK103's are certainly the best value anyway, as doesn't have any contract and bought off Amazon/Ebay or the slightly more pricier TK104.

I use with Giff Gaff SIM as I use it in my phone anyway, so the text messages are all free to and from the tracker. You control it purely by SMS though, so the limitation is if you or the tracker is in a poor signal area (affects a lot of trackers to be fair). They are hard wired though and can also be wired to text you if something like the internal light is triggered and if you really want you can remotely isolate wiring such as the fuel pump. I'd probably only use these features on an older more basic car.
Okay. Thank you so much for the information. I would like to buy TK103.

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”