M Performance LSD maintenance

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: Producethis, marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

sam75

M Performance LSD maintenance

Post by sam75 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I have been searching the site and google but struggling to get a definitive answer.

I am looking to get an LSD for my m135i, and undecided between the Quaife or the M Perf Drexler unit. From what I understand, the Quaife is maintenance free (maybe oil change at some point), but the BMW Drexler unit has clutch plates that can wear.

Does anyone know what (if any) maintenance is needed and when on the BMW LSD (aside from diff oil changes)? Some people say they can be serviced, others say BMW would recommend you replace the unit if it wears, but both of these options sound expensive :)

Thanks in advance

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: M Performance LSD maintenance

Post by marco_polo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm

I'd recommend an M22 magnetic Dimple drain plug, and oil changes with 75w140-LSD every 25,000 approx.

No need to take them apart under usual circumstances, I bet there are thousands of Drexler equipped M3's with starship miles on them, still going strong.

Worst case, send it to Drexler I suppose? Definitely no need to bin it.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

sam75

Post by sam75 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes that's a good point, you don't really hear about M cars suffering with worn diffs. Maybe I am over-thinking this :) Thanks

rix

Post by rix » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 pm

An oil change every now and again can’t ever be a bad thing surely, I do find it odd how some boxes and LSDs are supposedly sealed for life!

Autosri
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Autosri » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 pm

I kinda understand the sealed till death thing as there is limited foreign materials in a gearbox and open diff but with a clutch diff there are wearable items inside of it with the friction disks
I’m sure my Kaaz diff in my Nissan recommended every 10k or something but when I changed it the oil looked good just a bit sparkly
I’d be inclined to agree with Marco if not a little less maybe every oil change at 20k just to protect your investment

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:21 am

I changed my mperf lsd oil at around 12k miles. Glad I did, not a big or expensive job and the stuff that came out looked very second hand. May not have been necessary, but certainly no harm doing it. Will get another change around 25k, which is probably not needed, but where is the harm in doing it?

I would do the same on the standard diff mind you., especially the first change which has all the running in work to do.

I would fit a a magnetic plug if I had sourced a quality plug when I did the change, but I am not entirely convinced by them for for two reasons.
1. I have seen a picture of one where the magnet came out and attatched itself inside, in this case, the engine. Presumably avoidable by using a decnt quality plug.

2. Magnets reduce in strength over time and heat cycles, so there is a risk that a build up of metalic sludge over time will 'fall off' in one lump and cause more damage than being evenly spread in suspension or in a sludge trap. Again, the chances of this are minimal if you do changes periodically; but I think this is why they are not fittted as standard (?).
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

andyjhatton
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andyjhatton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm

The wear on the clutch packs is going to be proportional to how frequenly they're engaged, and so to how 'hard' the car is driven.
If driven by grandma the LSD clutches will probably last forever, as you're never really asking it to work as an LSD.

The only result of the clutch packs wearing will be a reduction (eventually to zero) of the lock-up. The diff will always continue to transmit drive (to one wheel, at least)

As is the case with many things in these modern times, many clutch-pack LSDs are advertised as not being servicable (Not saying the Drexler falls into this category). But in any case I'm sure there will be people willing to tear-down and rebuild what BMW would rather you buy from them new.
2015 M135i, Pre-LCI, 6MT, Adaptive, Birds ARBs & Quaife LSD, M4 LCA + TS, Bilstein B14, Goodridge lines, 370mm MPBBK

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”