Bmw performance intake air filter

Can't decide on what factory or dealer options to go with?
Not sure what a specific option does?
Post your thoughts in here

Moderators: Lambster, marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis

Yorke86
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Bmw performance intake air filter

Post by Yorke86 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:17 am

Hi,

I picked up a performance intake for an E82 125i. The air filter is exactly like a k&n type but there's no oil on it and wasn't supplied with any (bought from BMW). Do people run it dry or apply their own oil? I take it that's it's supposed to be washed and reused?

Thanks in advance

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Bmw performance intake air filter

Post by marco_polo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:57 am

Don't oil it, just use it as it comes from BMW. I destroyed a MAF in my 3er with an oiled K&N.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Yorke86
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: RE: Re: Bmw performance intake air filter

Post by Yorke86 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:33 pm

marco_polo wrote:Don't oil it, just use it as it comes from BMW. I destroyed a MAF in my 3er with an oiled K&N.
Thanks Image

miscia

Post by miscia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:55 am

Yorke86 wrote:Hi,

I picked up a performance intake for an E82 125i. The air filter is exactly like a k&n type but there's no oil on it and wasn't supplied with any (bought from BMW). Do people run it dry or apply their own oil? I take it that's it's supposed to be washed and reused?

Thanks in advance
I have the same intake and air filter and it works as you have received it. :)

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 pm

The BMW performance air filter and K&N are the exact same, The BMW air filter is actually manufactured by K&N, if you look at the metal support bar on the genuine air filter you can see the K&N stamp :mrgreen:

I used a K&N recharge kit on mine including the oil and its absolutely fine, just don't go made and cake the thing in oil and you'll be fine.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

0l0dom0l0

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Mike_RS wrote:The BMW performance air filter and K&N are the exact same, The BMW air filter is actually manufactured by K&N, if you look at the metal support bar on the genuine air filter you can see the K&N stamp :mrgreen:

I used a K&N recharge kit on mine including the oil and its absolutely fine, just don't go made and cake the thing in oil and you'll be fine.
Classic, asks on forum for advice, gets explicitly told not to do something which has caused failures in other cars, does it anyway!
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

michi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by michi » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:05 am

Morning all

I was wondering if the filter can re washed and reused as mine is looking horrible? , if so what is the best method

Does any one know the part no for a replacement and cost from bmw ?

Thanks in advance

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 am

If you have the BMW Performance filter or generic K&N, yes absolutely you can wash them. K&N sell a recharge kit which contains a cleaning solution and the oil to reoil the filter.

As others have said in this thread just be careful with how much oil you put onto the filter a very light coat is what you want otherwise you risk damaging the MAF.
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

michi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:05 am
Does any one know the part no for a replacement and cost from bmw ?

It's about £80. As far as I know it's recommended you replace it at the same interval as the normal one but given it's a gauze type rather than paper I don't see why you can't just hit it with compressed air or wash it and reuse.

I personally wouldn't be going anywhere near my 130 with an oiled filter as it's widely known here and across the pond that they don't play nice with E8x/E9x MAF sensors. I appreciate that it doesn't happen to precisely everyone but the sample size is more than enough to put me off given that an OEM MAF sensor is £150-200 and the non-oiled BMWP filter is half that.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Goon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Goon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Petrol/parrafin and brush to clean it and let it dry in the sun (if you get any).

Return to “BMW OEM Options & Accessories”