Baby BMW Forum banner

original BMW roof bars missing a piece - vital or not?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  roscoe1974 
#1 ·
hey all,

I finally got some BMW original roof bars for my E87.
Alas I didn't really pay much attention to the bars when I got them last night (it was dark, I know, not the best when you are purchasing soemthing) and I realised once home that they are missing (I believe) the little dark blue / black profile in the track.
I wouldn't be bothered too much if it wasn't for the profile is actually meant ( i believe) to be covering the bolts underneath.
Will I risk rain sitting in it and then rusting?
Shall I manufacture some sort of square profile aluminium tubular devices to slide into the track, so to cover them screws?

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi SpaceTofu - I know this is an old post, but I've just joined this forum and saw your question. I'd imagine by now you've already sorted this but I'd definitely be putting the rubber profile in that roofbar track - as you said, you risk having water sit in the bolt area and rusting it out, as well as the rubber making sure the roof bars don't 'whistle' at speed. I've had racks on my cars for years - any time that track is left open, I get a horrible whistling at speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.