Baby BMW Forum banner

E82 Heated steering wheel retrofit possibility

13K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Dubstar 
#1 ·
I recently bought an E82 from 2008. Really pleased with it, has heated seats but does not have a heated steering wheel. I did some searching but only found one page where some people talked about this. It seems this was option #248, rare option apparently, but more i cannot find about it.

Does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a heated steering wheel in my car? Or in E80-series in general?

#30 ·
--help said:
marco_polo said:
Yup, they're usually interchangable, so it should work.
That'll do it for me, will scout second hand sites for one! And update this thread when i have some more information :cool2:
I would love this,had it in my 2011 Z4,my 120d m sport has everything apart from the heated steering wheel,and this is something I'd defo pay to add to my car x

#36 ·
awt said:
You can also use a slip ring from the e70 X5 with heated steering wheel, as they are used on 1-series with Performance steering wheel.
How sure about that are you? I'm looking to add cruise control and there are several x5 heated wheel + cruise slip rings on ebay. Compared to 0 for the 1 series.

Different part numbers from what I can see. Also, the x5 has the heating button on the face of the wheel - not on the side of the column.

#37 ·
A slip ring from an e70 X5 with heated steering wheel has three extra connections, which should be enough. I've just mounted a Performance Steering wheel on my e81, and the slip ring I used had part number 61319122381, and the connector that goes in to the back had part number 61136954518.

The one on the right with the cable is the one from the X5.

While doing this I noticed that the OEM slip ring had two spare connections as well, (maybe for cars with paddles?), maybe these can be used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.