Baby BMW Forum banner

E82 Heated steering wheel retrofit possibility

13K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Dubstar 
#1 ·
I recently bought an E82 from 2008. Really pleased with it, has heated seats but does not have a heated steering wheel. I did some searching but only found one page where some people talked about this. It seems this was option #248, rare option apparently, but more i cannot find about it.

Does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a heated steering wheel in my car? Or in E80-series in general?

#3 ·
Yes it seems like it, but when i check realOEM it only says about some options "S248A=Yes" meaning that the steering/option CAN work with it (i guess, correct me if i'm wrong) but there is no real retrofit option. What would i need, i cannot find any documentation or information that explains some about this.

#9 ·
#13 ·
Blackbmw120d said:
RichIbizaSport said:
I have a factory fitted heated steering wheel in my '59 e82 coupe :spotman:
Should be able to trace part numbers on realoem from this.
Well i don't know what '59 for example means, not from US. Not even close; Netherlands. And the issue is, as in my initial post, that i cannot find the part numbers on realoem ... So RichIbizaSport, do you have some more information for me? Thanks! :)

#14 ·
I can't remember what the site is but you can call up your vehicle spec ( RichIbizaSport) and if you can do that it might give you the option code for it and work out the parts off that??

#15 ·
Producethis said:
I can't remember what the site is but you can call up your vehicle spec ( RichIbizaSport) and if you can do that it might give you the option code for it and work out the parts off that??

#16 ·
I do have a rain sensor, light sensor + multi function steering wheel

'59 as in second half of 2009 UK registered :)

I just put my VIN into:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S248A
Lenkradheizung Steering wheel heater

Looking at realoem it looks like my wheel is 32306795573 but I have paddles. Manual transmission heated sport wheel is 32306795571

It doesn't look like it's an option with the m-sport wheel.

Hopefully that gives you something to go on

#17 ·
Wow, they do exist! :spotman:

Can you go to realoem, type your VIN and search for 'steering column'. It is called "Switch unit steering column" to be exact. So far, i found no e80-series BMW that had the option S248=Yes (heating) and S521A=Yes (rain sensor) and S540A=Yes (cruise control) ... Can you maybe check that for me? Thanks!

Edit, i did found an E92 steering column with all options, but i am unsure if this would work ... (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

#20 ·
I do have a rain sensor. I couldn't find one with heater and the rain sensor!

*edit*

OK I think it's probably part number: 61319169753

All of those have the the heater (S248A=Yes) at the very top, do you notice how it has the i (in italics), then it goes down the list adding cruise, rain sensor, adaptive cruise etc.

*second edit*

that give you a pretty clear answer

#22 ·
You're not really understanding what I'm saying

Look at that page. All for the e82. All of the switch clusters on that page support the heated wheel.

The difference is cruise, rain sensor etc.

I'm almost certain my car will have 61319169753, which supports the heated wheels and a rain sensor, not cruise control.

So 61319169753 is the option for:
S248A=Yes (heated)
S521A=Yes (rain)
S540A=No (cruise)
S544A=No (cruise with brake)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.