Pioneer handbrake bypass

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Pioneer handbrake bypass

Post by Nottnowcato » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I've just bought a Pioneer z5100dab for my e81. There's a "parking brake" cable in amongst the absolute forest of wires, my understanding being that it's designed to stop you using certain features on the HU while driving (ie, watching videos, searching for a track) but for a number of reasons I don't want to connect this, not least that I don't want to have to take out my entire centre console to access the handbrake switch, the fact it's a "T-tap" type connector and I don't like the idea of getting a connection by chopping into my wiring with a blade in a plastic case, and the fact that I haven't the faintest idea what a handbrake switch looks like in the first place...

Now, I believe the go-to method to bypass this function is to simply ground the cable, effectively fooling the HU into thinking the handbrake is on. But I hear rumour that the newer pioneers require a "high-low-high" signal; sometimes it will ask you to disengage and re-engage the handbrake before unlocking the functions. Soooooooo, can anybody confirm or disconfirm this? If it is indeed the case, is there a workaround/bypass an incompetent fool like me can manage without breaking my car?

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Pioneer handbrake bypass

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Blimey, its a war; first they prevent video in motion, then folks bypass it, then they have to put double pulse checks to discourage the bypassers, now folks are bypassing that.

The datasheet for that HU doesnt make it clear whether its just switched, or double pulsed, but for the sale of a few quid, you might as well just get a bypass
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bypass-Pione ... SwCPRayqkq
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Nottnowcato
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Pioneer handbrake bypass

Post by Nottnowcato » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am

Nottsknots wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 pm
Blimey, its a war; first they prevent video in motion, then folks bypass it, then they have to put double pulse checks to discourage the bypassers, now folks are bypassing that.

The datasheet for that HU doesnt make it clear whether its just switched, or double pulsed, but for the sale of a few quid, you might as well just get a bypass
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bypass-Pione ... SwCPRayqkq
That's actually probably easier than fannying around looking for a suitable ground point. Ta mucker!

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”