Apple CarPlay/Android Auto MMI Box

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Mad_Mac
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto MMI Box

Post by Mad_Mac »

Billbott wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:41 am
Tiberius wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:29 am How compatible are these systems with the OEM reversing camera? Will I still hear the beeps from the parking sensors and see the video, or do I have to manually switch from Carplay to iDrive and then back?
My car didn’t originally have a rear view camera, just the parking sensor screen. When in CarPlay, it automatically switches to the original screen when reverse is selected and back again afterwards. Assume it would do the same with a camera?
You can add reversing camera to the mmi box.
M2 2017 Manual
Gone - M135i LCI manual
mtechtone
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mtechtone »

Think I’m going to pull the trigger on one of these.

Question - I’ve got a main dealer oil service coming up in a months time, I presume the MMI box wouldn’t interfere with them updating the service history? I can’t imagine why it would but thought I’d ask.
‘15 M135i
‘06 130i Sport
‘99 328ti Sport
mtechtone
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mtechtone »

Installed yesterday, all quite straightforward.

I decided to fit the wifi antenna in a different location to what most videos show - stuck to the inside of the passenger side dashboard, just alongside the centre air vents. Instead I went for drivers side centre console, right by where my left knee sits. I use the Belkin cup holder phone mount so I thought having the wifi antenna right next to it might be a good idea.

MMI box itself sits nicely beneath the head unit. I put a few strips of self adhesive foam pads here and there on and around the MMI box to prevent any unwanted rattling etc.

Only gave it a little test so far, music sound quality sounds absolutely fine to me. I’d have to maybe try to do back to back comparison tracks of Bluetooth-BMW connection vs MMI CarPlay to try and notice any difference.

Tried a phone call too, oem mic working fine. Person I phoned said they were getting an echo of their voice in return when I had the volume up quite loud, turned it down a bit and the echo had gone.

I also didn’t bother with the USB accessory cable. I have no intention of having a reversing camera nor running a USB cable to the female USB. Couldn’t see the point of cramming more cables into the dash.

Another observation, the steering wheel scroll wheel also operates the CarPlay screen, handy.

Time to live with it for a bit...
‘15 M135i
‘06 130i Sport
‘99 328ti Sport
ravi.bhatt

Post by ravi.bhatt »

Billbott wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:08 am I fitted an MMI carplay box to my 2013 M135i last week. My car came without nav but did have a DAB radio. Strangely through it has loads of other extras..

Anyway, took me half an hour, hardest part was getting the plug out of the back of the central locking / heater grill panel.

Fitted the antenna inside the dash, double sided tape stuck it well and I just managed to squeeze my hand in, and the box itself sat nicely beneath the radio unit behind the lower panel.

Very impressed, it worked immediately and took five minutes to pair up my phone. Very easy to switch between the original system and carplay (hold menu button down for 3 seconds)

Soon as I get in my car it connects to my iphone and the carplay screen comes on.

I have access to waze / google maps and apple maps for nav, spotify, I can listen and send texts via SIRI, mirror my phone screen and other stuff too. You can get a rear view camera but I didn’t bother – when I put it in reverse the screen immediately defaults back to the parking sensor screen on the ‘original’ system then back to carplay afterwards. All the idrive and steering wheel buttons are working too. The screen in my car is just the basic one but everything looks good – I expected poor quality but its fine. I can even have the original DAB playing while google maps is on the screen.

All in all I am very happy – paid £189 from Droid UK including delivery
Thanks for this detailed information Billbott - very much appreciated! I wanted to know whether you are still happy with this box from Droid UK as you've now had it for some months. I'm thinking of buying from them and would really appreciate your help with this please - many thanks!
Billbott

Post by Billbott »

ravi.bhatt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:02 pm
Billbott wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:08 am I fitted an MMI carplay box to my 2013 M135i last week. My car came without nav but did have a DAB radio. Strangely through it has loads of other extras..

Anyway, took me half an hour, hardest part was getting the plug out of the back of the central locking / heater grill panel.

Fitted the antenna inside the dash, double sided tape stuck it well and I just managed to squeeze my hand in, and the box itself sat nicely beneath the radio unit behind the lower panel.

Very impressed, it worked immediately and took five minutes to pair up my phone. Very easy to switch between the original system and carplay (hold menu button down for 3 seconds)

Soon as I get in my car it connects to my iphone and the carplay screen comes on.

I have access to waze / google maps and apple maps for nav, spotify, I can listen and send texts via SIRI, mirror my phone screen and other stuff too. You can get a rear view camera but I didn’t bother – when I put it in reverse the screen immediately defaults back to the parking sensor screen on the ‘original’ system then back to carplay afterwards. All the idrive and steering wheel buttons are working too. The screen in my car is just the basic one but everything looks good – I expected poor quality but its fine. I can even have the original DAB playing while google maps is on the screen.

All in all I am very happy – paid £189 from Droid UK including delivery
Thanks for this detailed information Billbott - very much appreciated! I wanted to know whether you are still happy with this box from Droid UK as you've now had it for some months. I'm thinking of buying from them and would really appreciate your help with this please - many thanks!
Yes, its still working well.
The only issue I had was on the odd occasion it lost signal so went to the set up screen. I assumed it was the MMi unit but if I switch my (old iphone SE) off and on again its perfect. Strangely though its been perfect for months now.
Very happy with it, using waze or google maps mean I have a 'live' sat nav with traffic updates.
Let me know if theres anything else you want to know.
ravi.bhatt

Post by ravi.bhatt »

Thank you so much Billbott - really appreciate your providing the information and great to hear that it's working so well for you! Thanks so much once again!

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”