Sound Deadening

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Mag_Pie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Sound Deadening

Post by Mag_Pie »

Octavius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 pm Just the job 👍🏻
I only really want to replace the speakers but I feel like I might end up with an amp. If I do go for it I’d like to try upgrading the speakers first and seeing how it sounds. Of course I need to source the replacement trim and grilles for the tweeters. Not turning out to be a cheap job 😁
Mag_Pie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mag_Pie »

Dogpipebeard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:30 pm There was enough void behind the door card close to the front to tape the crossovers in. You should stick layers of the butyl on the door card too, it helps separate the sound from the back of the speaker from the cabin
Thanks, I was thinking that the door card was flush with the door all over so good to know that there is a hiding spot. Should a crossover be wrapped in a bag or anything?
Dogpipebeard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dogpipebeard »

I didn't wrap mine, but it's tucked under the lip, with duct tape. (pic shows card upside down, crossover bottom left)
Attachments
doorcard.jpg
doorcard.jpg (214.16 KiB) Viewed 165 times
06 E87 130i SE
Mag_Pie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mag_Pie »

Great info thanks, also good to see what sort of area you sound deadened.
neil-1963
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by neil-1963 »

This video gives an overview from a pro install.

https://youtu.be/Y4s7BikMLbw
Storm bay 128ti on order…
Mag_Pie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mag_Pie »

Dogpipebeard wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 am I didn't wrap mine, but it's tucked under the lip, with duct tape. (pic shows card upside down, crossover bottom left)
Is that the Noico stuff from Amazon? How much did you use for two door cards?

Is the factory speaker screwed to the door but you’ve put the new ones on the door card?
Dogpipebeard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dogpipebeard »

I can't remember the brand but it's generic adhesive panels c. 12" square. I used about 2-3 per door originally but cutting lots of fiddly shapes to fill the webbing on the back of the card. Recently went over it with another layer in much bigger sections. Plenty of room and give behind the cards. Stock speakers are card mounted. My adapter ring fits on the back of the stock hole and the 3" speakers mount from the front for extra clearance. You can't go very deep with aftermarket drivers and not much room under the stock speaker grills to spacer them forward.
06 E87 130i SE
Dogpipebeard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dogpipebeard »

Uh pic above is previous set up so forget the bit about adapters that is pictured here
Attachments
com.bongasoft.blurimagevideo_IMG_20210326_092603.jpg
com.bongasoft.blurimagevideo_IMG_20210326_092603.jpg (176.19 KiB) Viewed 109 times
06 E87 130i SE
Mag_Pie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mag_Pie »

Great info thanks!

I’m feeling like I’m lacking the skills for your kind of install! I guess you learn through doing! That’s partly why I’ve kept with the plan for direct replacement speakers. Ive got some of the sound deadening off Amazon and will see what I can do with it, there looks like some obvious flat areas that would be a great starting place.

I’ve got some Tesa tape also, regarding locating the crossover I’ve got some double sided 3M high bond tape.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Agree with all the above suggestions, definitely does make a difference, even with factory fit and not very good BMW entry level speakers
waldorf
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by waldorf »

What is the noticeable difference? Can imagine it helps for low frequencies, but the door speaker works from about 150 hz and up.
Last edited by waldorf on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old one: E87 M47, new one: E88 N43 (and E84 N47)
nemz

Post by nemz »

On the e82 got as a little project, some MLV and 5mm closed cell foam back of the door panels and inside the door enhanced the midbass with a layer of MLV underneath the sub enclosures in an attempt to remove the body vibrations I sometimes heard, didn't get rid of the buzzing but sounded more controlled taking into account it's just the pretty rubbish Professional system fitted to most e8*'ers.

The actual problem with the body buzzing at louder volumes was the long undershield on one side of the car had got stones trapped between the cover and car body right underneath the left side subwoofer drain hole in the rubber bung/spacer. Stones removed and couple of 10mm thick foam pads to stop the undershield touching the car body directly on both sides of the car under the subs and the horrible buzzing has gone.
Dogpipebeard
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dogpipebeard »

Good info on buzz source nemz.
Waldorf: it's supposed to help isolate the waves from the back of the driver from the cabin. That's why I did it anyway.
06 E87 130i SE

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”