Bluetooth microphone not working. Professional Bluetooth/USB radio

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Grahams

Bluetooth microphone not working. Professional Bluetooth/USB radio

Post by Grahams » Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi, I’m currently in the process of fitting a professional headunit with Bluetooth and USB integrated. That means no mulf and my car wasn’t prewired for Bluetooth.

After a lot of trawling on the various forums I found that pins 17 and 22 of the quadlock accept wires from pins 1 and 2 on the microphone, except...it doesn’t work.

Does anyone know if the wiring is different on some of these headunits? The one I have is part number 65129258173 and comes from an e8x with no MOST. I’ve already coded it to activate the Bluetooth although did have a codeapi2020 when trying to read the RAD2 module. As other have reported sg reset and sg write does recode the radio even if it comes up with a comms error. Build date of the car is 09/09 and the radio is 03/12 with no DAB. I think this is a hardware issue so would appreciate someone confirming the pins.

Thanks
Graham

Ogb666
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Bluetooth microphone not working. Professional Bluetooth/USB radio

Post by Ogb666 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Pins are correct 17 and 22 ie top right set of pins when looking from the back 1st pin bottom row mic - and last pin bottom row mic +

Grahams

Post by Grahams » Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 am

Yep that’s how I’ve got it.

Last night I spent ages trying different things. SG_RESET doesn’t get it to work and when doing read I appear to get a much larger TRC file which NCS dummy doesn’t recognise.

When trying to access the RAD2 module I’m getting an COAPI-2020 error but the functions I’m trying to work with seem to be doing the job.

I’m almost 100% sure this is a coding issue but all the threads I’ve read say unhelpful things like “take it in for warranty”.

Does anyone have a TRC file from a RAD2 with Bluetooth, USB and AUX I can compare to? I’m sure this is a case of me activating the pins!

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am

That HU is too new to be coded using NCS over DCAN, you need an ICOM-B to use NCS. Not sure about the coding working despite the error.
The issue is that some of the coding blocks are larger than the max packet size over DCAN (something like that anyway).
The older radio revisions have smaller coding blocks so they're not affected.

However, you can toggle the BT/USB/MIC enable bits using Tool32 over DCAN. There's a post in the coding section about it.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Grahams

Post by Grahams » Wed May 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Just found your other thread taking through tool32. I’m reluctant to get an ICOM or pay some to code it for me unless absolutely necessary. Amazing none of the main threads on the integrated Bluetooth topic really cover this issue.

When you say ICOM B I assume you mean the full kit which is just over £200 and not just a cable which will then work with NCS expert. If it’s just the cable do you have a recommendation.

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Thu May 24, 2018 8:08 am

ICOM B is the head unit (orange box) plus a cable to connect it to the car's OBD socket. £200 sounds about right.

If you are confident/have a tech background you can use the Tool32 approach using the DCAN cable. Be careful though as you are directly modifying the settings stored in the HU's flash memory.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Grahams

Post by Grahams » Thu May 24, 2018 6:18 pm

I need to look into the tool32 route. Get the grasp of these things quickly so I’m sure it would be OK. Only started reading about coding 2 weeks ago and have got this far already. I am however getting bored of spending so much time trying to get this sorted so am close to paying someone!

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”