Advice on drilling through metalwork to install amp

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Advice on drilling through metalwork to install amp

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi All,

So I am finally pulling all the pieces of my audio upgrade together. I am going to be putting the Amp in the bottom of the boot next to the battery, as not enough room for it in left hand cubby hole.

I want to secure the amp using bolts through the metalwork on the car.

I have noted the point I will be coming through and can see there is no wires/fuel tank etc, in fact it will just come up to the right of the exhaust box at the back of the vehicle, BMW already have a couple of bolts coming through in same area for the battery securing bar.

SO - to my question: What is the best way to ensure all stays watertight? Do they make special bolts that seal as they go? (I doubt it, but though worth asking), or do I line the bolt hole with silicone (am worried that will give out after a while)?

Whats the best thing to do?

I assume there must be a 'standard' way of going through car bodywork and ensuring its kept sealed......can anyone advise?

Cheers,

Rob

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Advice on drilling through metalwork to install amp

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm

oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 pm
Have you considered using some super sticky double-sided adhesive pads instead? The type used for sticking number plates on the front of a car would be perfect, imo, and would help prevent vibrations/rattles too.

Something a bit like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273016283621 ?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

oxfordshirerob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Advice on drilling through metalwork to install amp

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm
oxfordshirerob wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 pm
Have you considered using some super sticky double-sided adhesive pads instead? The type used for sticking number plates on the front of a car would be perfect, imo, and would help prevent vibrations/rattles too.

Something a bit like: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273016283621 ?
Hi,

I did consider this, but in looking it up, everyone seems to recommend against anything other than bolting the amp down. Mainly because of the risk of in a crash, it breaking loose. I am probably being hyper paranoid, but everything in the boot does indeed seem to be bolted down.

I saw somewhere that someone used industrial velcro, but again, am worried about the posts I read about mass and the velocity of force in a crash.

Probably being hyper paranoid!

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”