DAB - not displaying station information

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

flow
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Cheltenham

DAB - not displaying station information

Post by flow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am

Hello all

Just taken delivery of a new F45 Active Tourer, LCI version.

My previous Active tourer always displayed the DAB station information, e.g. Song & Artist, programme name etc. All I'm getting now is just the station name & a bland grey logo. It can't be signal related as like I said, it was fine on my last one. The only difference is I've gone from the basic Nav to the larger Nav plus.

Any thoughts? I can't see any options to do a re-scan or reboot the idrive.

mikesmith2939
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by mikesmith2939 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:16 am

On my F30 when I have the station selected I have to go into options then show station info

flow
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Cheltenham

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by flow » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am

mikesmith2939 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:16 am
On my F30 when I have the station selected I have to go into options then show station info
Thanks Mike. That's something I tried but didn't get any joy. Car has been into BMW for various things & seems it's a glitch affecting most of the new F45 LCI models. 'Patiently' waiting for the outcome of the Puma case that's been created.

mikesmith2939
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by mikesmith2939 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:51 am

Hope they get it sorted soon.

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by chesterflaps » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm

flow wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am
mikesmith2939 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:16 am
On my F30 when I have the station selected I have to go into options then show station info
Thanks Mike. That's something I tried but didn't get any joy. Car has been into BMW for various things & seems it's a glitch affecting most of the new F45 LCI models. 'Patiently' waiting for the outcome of the Puma case that's been created.
Mine used to display the information but then it went in for a service and an update then suddenly it’s gone! The odd thing is, it displays song info on FM stations!

flow
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Cheltenham

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by flow » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm

chesterflaps wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm
flow wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am
mikesmith2939 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:16 am
On my F30 when I have the station selected I have to go into options then show station info
Thanks Mike. That's something I tried but didn't get any joy. Car has been into BMW for various things & seems it's a glitch affecting most of the new F45 LCI models. 'Patiently' waiting for the outcome of the Puma case that's been created.
Mine used to display the information but then it went in for a service and an update then suddenly it’s gone! The odd thing is, it displays song info on FM stations!
I get that too! Still no update from BMW on their 'Puma' case either :roll:

User avatar
ThePentavarate
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by ThePentavarate » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem with a brand new F20. Picked it up at the end of July. Pre-reg with only 10 miles on it. Since day one the DAB has shown no station information on any station no matter what I do. Have followed every instruction in the manual and got nowhere.

Without getting into too much detail on the other problems I had initially, I had to take the car back to the dealer twice within the first two weeks (faulty battery, satnav not installed properly, tyre pressures/monitoring system not set up right). At that time I also reported the fact that the DAB would not show any station information. They actually gave me a courtesy car for the day while they attempted to sort everything out that they had cocked up. A convertible 2 series with what appeared to be the exact same entertainment system onboard and it worked perfectly all day!

When the manager handed my car back and went through what they'd done he insisted that they had done a completely clean install of the digital systems so there should be no glitches left (although funnily enough all my radio presets were still saved in the console - funny that). DAB still didn't work. He acted dumb at first and I had to explain it to him and actually show him pictures of the screen in the 2 series working. He actually said, and I still can't believe this, "some 1 Series are just like that". As if that makes it OK!

End result he insists it's a known issue with some 1 series cars and that BMW are already aware and working on it. When a fix is available I should bring it back in and they'll sort it.

In the meantime I contacted BMW via their Facebook page on messenger, just to check that this was actually a known issue that was in hand somewhere. They insisted that Customer Service in the UK were very interested to follow this up so off I went and followed the weblinks provided, which took me to their contact email addresses. I sent them the same pretty simple question asking if this was actually a known issue that was being worked on somewhere. Got the standard "your message will be dealt with within 2 days" autoreply. 18 days later - nothing. So I chased it up and got some guy called "Luke" in UK Customer Service who couldn't track down the original emails but suggested I talk to my dealer. (Bangs head on desk).

I re-sent him the original email, with photos of the working 2 series screen and the definitely not working 1 series screen, and the software version number. He finally got back to me today only to claim that the problem is just the radio station not broadcasting information and that I should take it to the dealer if there are any other problems.

Now I started off quite relaxed about all this as it seemed like a relatively simple thing that could be fixed easily enough but they have now annoyed me so much with this pathetic nonsense that I'm not going to let it go. It is very obviously not the station, given that the courtesy car shows the station information from the same station just fine, my wife's Mazda shows the station information just fine, both of my previous cars (Mini and Mazda) showed the station information just fine and every other DAB I own at home shows the station information just fine. All the while my BMW shows no station information whatsoever for any station at all. Ever. It is clearly a fault with the car, not one particular radio station.

I did point all this out to the bold "Luke" today and asked him to escalate this as a complaint now, citing all the other problems I've had as a package. Honestly, I've never had such a bad customer experience with a car as the one I've had so far with BMW. All of which is a shame, because the car would be fantastic if they could only manage to set it up properly and get it to actually do all the things it's supposed to.

So, having got all that off my chest, I'll be really interested to see how you get on with yours! :D

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by chesterflaps » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:09 am

ThePentavarate wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 pm
I'm having exactly the same problem with a brand new F20. Picked it up at the end of July. Pre-reg with only 10 miles on it. Since day one the DAB has shown no station information on any station no matter what I do. Have followed every instruction in the manual and got nowhere.

Without getting into too much detail on the other problems I had initially, I had to take the car back to the dealer twice within the first two weeks (faulty battery, satnav not installed properly, tyre pressures/monitoring system not set up right). At that time I also reported the fact that the DAB would not show any station information. They actually gave me a courtesy car for the day while they attempted to sort everything out that they had cocked up. A convertible 2 series with what appeared to be the exact same entertainment system onboard and it worked perfectly all day!

When the manager handed my car back and went through what they'd done he insisted that they had done a completely clean install of the digital systems so there should be no glitches left (although funnily enough all my radio presets were still saved in the console - funny that). DAB still didn't work. He acted dumb at first and I had to explain it to him and actually show him pictures of the screen in the 2 series working. He actually said, and I still can't believe this, "some 1 Series are just like that". As if that makes it OK!

End result he insists it's a known issue with some 1 series cars and that BMW are already aware and working on it. When a fix is available I should bring it back in and they'll sort it.

In the meantime I contacted BMW via their Facebook page on messenger, just to check that this was actually a known issue that was in hand somewhere. They insisted that Customer Service in the UK were very interested to follow this up so off I went and followed the weblinks provided, which took me to their contact email addresses. I sent them the same pretty simple question asking if this was actually a known issue that was being worked on somewhere. Got the standard "your message will be dealt with within 2 days" autoreply. 18 days later - nothing. So I chased it up and got some guy called "Luke" in UK Customer Service who couldn't track down the original emails but suggested I talk to my dealer. (Bangs head on desk).

I re-sent him the original email, with photos of the working 2 series screen and the definitely not working 1 series screen, and the software version number. He finally got back to me today only to claim that the problem is just the radio station not broadcasting information and that I should take it to the dealer if there are any other problems.

Now I started off quite relaxed about all this as it seemed like a relatively simple thing that could be fixed easily enough but they have now annoyed me so much with this pathetic nonsense that I'm not going to let it go. It is very obviously not the station, given that the courtesy car shows the station information from the same station just fine, my wife's Mazda shows the station information just fine, both of my previous cars (Mini and Mazda) showed the station information just fine and every other DAB I own at home shows the station information just fine. All the while my BMW shows no station information whatsoever for any station at all. Ever. It is clearly a fault with the car, not one particular radio station.

I did point all this out to the bold "Luke" today and asked him to escalate this as a complaint now, citing all the other problems I've had as a package. Honestly, I've never had such a bad customer experience with a car as the one I've had so far with BMW. All of which is a shame, because the car would be fantastic if they could only manage to set it up properly and get it to actually do all the things it's supposed to.

So, having got all that off my chest, I'll be really interested to see how you get on with yours! :D
The dealers and BMW are useless. They just make stuff up to get you off their back. I’ve got issues with my F20 which they either make up lies about a reinstall or just ignore me.

I’d be interested to know the outcome to this. Mine is a December 2017 model so sane as yours and it used to display song info but since it went in for service, it’s gone. Oddly if I use standard stations on FM, that DOES display song info.

My other issue is audio delay on Bluetooth calls. It’s unusable at times as I end up talking over my customers. I have to warn people at the start of a call about the delay so they don’t think I’m rude. BMW’s answer to this problem is ‘that’s just how it is’. My 10 year old X3 was fine so sounds like more bull to me!

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by chesterflaps » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Did anybody get anywhere with this issue?

flow
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Cheltenham

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by flow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 am

Naff all here. Cotswold BMW have told me it's not their problem & to speak to the Connected Drive people. They in turn don't have a clue. :censored:

I know it's only minor but, it's still bloody annoying.

User avatar
ThePentavarate
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by ThePentavarate » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Made some possible progress at my end. BMW customer service turned out to be useless and it'll be hard for this to make any sense without naming the actual dealers so I'm going to.

"Luke" at BMW customer service got back to me and said he couldn't escalate as a complaint without the car going back to the dealer to check it. I literally had to spell out to him that the complaint was the handling of this rather than the original fault but no matter - I've given up on that now. Life is literally too short. I explained to him that having already had the car at the dealer at least twice for this there was no point in taking it back to them again - all I wanted to know from him was whether or not this was actually a known issue that was in hand somewhere. He got back to me to say he had contacted the dealer - NORTH OXFORD BMW - and they claimed to have no record of ever looking at the issue. That is despite me having an actual email from a manager at NORTH OXFORD BMW reporting back that they had looked at it and claiming that it was a BMW problem to fix. I actually had to forward this to Luke and he eventually just gave up and repeated the line from the dealer about it being a known fault that BMW were looking at. Difficult to avoid the conclusion that he just wants this to go away the same as the dealer, because if that story was true why didn't he just say that in the first place.

So, a couple of weekends ago I took the car to a different dealer - DICK LOVETT, HUNGERFORD - as recommended by a friend. I have to say the difference in service was immediately like night and day. It was a Saturday so it was just sales and management around but I had two of them in the car investigating, trying to replicate it on another car, agreeing almost immediately that this was not right but also admitting that they could not fix it without bringing it into the shop. They even talked about the PUMA system for sharing fault/fix info - something NORTH OXFORD never did. So I booked it in and it was seen yesterday. By now a further problem has developed with the SatNav constantly drifting off course, which has gotten worse every day for the last few weeks, to the point that it is now telling my I'm up to 14 miles away from home while I'm sat outside my house! Being told to make a u-turn while doing 70mph on the M4 because the satnav is convinced you're driving up an alley in a village 10 miles away is not good.

So the plan was, the workshop would hook the car up, figure out what was wrong with the onboard systems and hopefully re-set whatever needed sorting out. Upshot is they called me back to inform me that the "Telematics Unit" needs replaced and they have ordered this from Germany. This is buggered (technical term) and is preventing the iDrive systems from functioning properly. They tried to re-program it but it would not allow them to do anything, leading them to conclude that it is completely f*cked (another technical term) even though it is not giving an error message (probably part and parcel of it being Jeremy Hunt-ed). This also makes the earlier claim by NORTH OXFORD to have done a complete re-install (despite all my stored settings and stations still being there) seem even less likely to be true.

So it took them less than a day to identify the problem, book the necessary part for repair (already booked in for a week on Monday with a replacement car already arranged) and they even cleaned the car.

The lesson is NORTH OXFORD BMW are a waste of space, not only incompetent but lying. From now on all my servicing cash will be going to DICK LOVETT HUNGERFORD. I advise everyone in the Oxford area to avoid NORTH OXFORD BMW like the plague.

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by chesterflaps » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

ThePentavarate wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:20 pm
Made some possible progress at my end. BMW customer service turned out to be useless and it'll be hard for this to make any sense without naming the actual dealers so I'm going to.

"Luke" at BMW customer service got back to me and said he couldn't escalate as a complaint without the car going back to the dealer to check it. I literally had to spell out to him that the complaint was the handling of this rather than the original fault but no matter - I've given up on that now. Life is literally too short. I explained to him that having already had the car at the dealer at least twice for this there was no point in taking it back to them again - all I wanted to know from him was whether or not this was actually a known issue that was in hand somewhere. He got back to me to say he had contacted the dealer - NORTH OXFORD BMW - and they claimed to have no record of ever looking at the issue. That is despite me having an actual email from a manager at NORTH OXFORD BMW reporting back that they had looked at it and claiming that it was a BMW problem to fix. I actually had to forward this to Luke and he eventually just gave up and repeated the line from the dealer about it being a known fault that BMW were looking at. Difficult to avoid the conclusion that he just wants this to go away the same as the dealer, because if that story was true why didn't he just say that in the first place.

So, a couple of weekends ago I took the car to a different dealer - DICK LOVETT, HUNGERFORD - as recommended by a friend. I have to say the difference in service was immediately like night and day. It was a Saturday so it was just sales and management around but I had two of them in the car investigating, trying to replicate it on another car, agreeing almost immediately that this was not right but also admitting that they could not fix it without bringing it into the shop. They even talked about the PUMA system for sharing fault/fix info - something NORTH OXFORD never did. So I booked it in and it was seen yesterday. By now a further problem has developed with the SatNav constantly drifting off course, which has gotten worse every day for the last few weeks, to the point that it is now telling my I'm up to 14 miles away from home while I'm sat outside my house! Being told to make a u-turn while doing 70mph on the M4 because the satnav is convinced you're driving up an alley in a village 10 miles away is not good.

So the plan was, the workshop would hook the car up, figure out what was wrong with the onboard systems and hopefully re-set whatever needed sorting out. Upshot is they called me back to inform me that the "Telematics Unit" needs replaced and they have ordered this from Germany. This is buggered (technical term) and is preventing the iDrive systems from functioning properly. They tried to re-program it but it would not allow them to do anything, leading them to conclude that it is completely f*cked (another technical term) even though it is not giving an error message (probably part and parcel of it being Jeremy Hunt-ed). This also makes the earlier claim by NORTH OXFORD to have done a complete re-install (despite all my stored settings and stations still being there) seem even less likely to be true.

So it took them less than a day to identify the problem, book the necessary part for repair (already booked in for a week on Monday with a replacement car already arranged) and they even cleaned the car.

The lesson is NORTH OXFORD BMW are a waste of space, not only incompetent but lying. From now on all my servicing cash will be going to DICK LOVETT HUNGERFORD. I advise everyone in the Oxford area to avoid NORTH OXFORD BMW like the plague.
Please update us once it’s been replaced.

User avatar
ThePentavarate
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by ThePentavarate » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Sigh. Not good news, I'm afraid. Car was in on Monday. Got the news that the new unit was fitted and programmed and ready to collect by the afternoon. They also replaced a window seal that was coming loose - unbelievable the number of things that have gone wrong on a brand new BMW in the first couple of months!

I got there to find the paperwork actually said a new "telephone control unit" had been fitted. That was the first bad sign - there's nothing wrong with the telephone connections to the car. Got in and turned the radio on and there is absolutely no difference. Same problem is still there. The most annoying thing about this is that the people doing the "repair" clearly had no idea what the problem was that they were actually supposed to be fixing. I had to go back in and get someone out to look at it and explain (for the umpteenth time) what the problem was that they were actually supposed to be fixing. So now I am back in the earlier position of someone technical having no idea what the problem is but promising to go away and look into it and get back to me (I've yet to hear anything back). He said he would call back next day to check on the satnav - he didn't.

Driving the next day (and today) the satnav is also still drifting further and further off course every drive. Within a few miles it's almost a mile off course. I've been back on the phone to them since but not got any actual answers about what to do next yet. To be honest I'm about done with this now and I just regret ever buying a BMW, between the faulty battery, non-functioning satnav, faulty window seals and DAB that doesn't work properly. The car does not work as per the described (and paid for) specification. I've given two different BMW dealers several opportunities to fix it now and they can't. I now just want rid of it as I haven't got the time for this crap. I'd take a replacement but I'd prefer a refund and I can just buy a car that actually works as it should from another manufacturer.

Not happy.

flow
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Cheltenham

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by flow » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Heck, that’s a whole multitude of problems you have there! Really really poor advert for BMW.

My latest update re DAB and station information is that it’s definitely a known problem and will be fixed in the next major software update....due around next spring!

chesterflaps
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: DAB - not displaying station information

Post by chesterflaps » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:52 pm

I’ve just had my car in at BMW and one of the things I asked them to look at was the fact that song and artist information used to show and since it went in for service and apparently they reinstalled the software, that information is no longer displayed.

At first it felt as though they were trying to fob me off when I picked it up and it still didn’t work. I explained to them that the courtesy car was the same as mine but the information was displayed. The service manager then came out to my car had a play around and came to the conclusion that he does not know why it’s not working properly.

Last time it was in I had asked them to look at the fact The date kept jumping forwards one or two days. They apparently did something to it and it has been fine ever since. The service manager then recalled that one of the members of staff there had the same problem with the date and they had to replace a part. He’s going to check with her tomorrow and see if her car displays the information and then get back to me.

Clearly it’s meant to be there because I drove another 1 series all day and it was working fine.

I will post again once I hear back.

Post Reply

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”