Does anyone know how to renew Online Entertainment?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

iomroadster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Does anyone know how to renew Online Entertainment?

Post by iomroadster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm

In my M2 I almost exclusively listen to Deezer through Online Entertainment and the built in SIM. It's a great service just missing Flow... come on BMW please add Deezer Flow.

So the car is 12 months old at the end of July and I want to renew, which it says you can do within two weeks of expiry i.e. now.

Via the iDrive connected store I have purchased an Online Entertainment voucher for 12 months at £160 and it shows as assigned to my car both online and via connected services.

The next step apparently is to redeem the voucher which you apparently do in Online Entertainment by choosing the service. Thing is this is a renewal, I'm already using the service not setting it up, and there's no option to redeem!

What am I missing? When it expires at the end of the month will it magically ask or is there a way to complete the renewal in advance within the two weeks that it states?

Thanks
M2 LCI F87 (BSM 6MT)
Mini Cooper S R53
Z3M Roadster

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Does anyone know how to renew Online Entertainment?

Post by McTrucky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 am

I am in exactly the same boat. I contacted BMW as it keeps telling me to renew, and I already did just as you have. BMW confirmed the renewal and said I could use the voucher when the other one expires.

I am hoping it doesn't auto renew as I am going to switch to Napster to see if that gives me their equivalent of Flow, called Song Radio like spotify. I also understand Napster doesn't buffer the whole track before commencing play - which has occasionally been a frustration for me.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

iomroadster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by iomroadster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Two of us in the same boat then; maybe this reply from BMW this morning sheds some light:

Good morning Steve

Thanks for getting back in touch with BMW UK ConnectedDrive in regards to you Online Entertainment renewal.

In the absence of my colleague I am responding to your enquiry. I’m sorry to have issues with renewing your Online Entertainment subscription.

The reason why there is no option to activate your subscription is because there is already an active subscription and you will need for to wait for that one to run out. Once the subscription has ended the option will appear in your CD/Multimedia tab within the vehicle.

I hope this information has been helpful and if you need any further assistance don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

John

BMW Group
United Kingdom
M2 LCI F87 (BSM 6MT)
Mini Cooper S R53
Z3M Roadster

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 am

Mine expires today. Unfortunately I am about 7,000 miles away from my car....so can't test until I get back. Hope to try Napster....
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Ok, for all you future searchers out there.... here is how it works.
A few weeks before expiry you get the messages mentioned above.
When you sign up in the store (which I could only do from my tablet, not from the car) you pay your money, and it says thank you very much and does nothing.... but what it actually does do is give you a 'voucher' which is valid for three years and can be cashed in AFTER the expiry date.
So after it expires, in the car you choose to use the voucher, and it gives you the choice to renew the account or sing up for a new one.

So, I signed up for Napster having used Deezer for the last year. No obvious difference so far... But I do prefer the android interface to Napster over the Deezer one I've been using.

iomroadster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by iomroadster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey thanks, I have 4 days left now. Oh wait; that’s ruined the surprise 😂😂
M2 LCI F87 (BSM 6MT)
Mini Cooper S R53
Z3M Roadster

iomroadster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by iomroadster » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:17 pm

I can confirm that the Online Entertainment expires at midnight on the date it states in the connected drive online portal (either via the website or from inside the car). At that time the pre-purchased voucher is automatically applied to the car, and you are asked whether you would like to renew your existing music service subscription, or select a new one.

Of interest my Deezer subscription ran out at lunch time so we were unable to listen to online music until the BMW service also ran out some 12 hours later. This must mean that I first signed up at lunchtime, and Deezer runs 12 months to the minute, whilst BMW Online Entertainment runs until midnight on the date you use your voucher.

In the 12 hour period between Deezer expiring and Online Entertainment expiring, the car asks you to log in to your music provider, and if you enter a your password, it reports 'no valid subscription'.

When Online Entertainment renews, you are able to listen to music via Deezer immediately both in the car and via other devices using the BMW Premium subscription.

So there you go: pre-purchase the Online Entertainment voucher, and you can renew after midnight from inside the car in a matter of seconds.
M2 LCI F87 (BSM 6MT)
Mini Cooper S R53
Z3M Roadster

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”