Looking for more bass on HK system

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Looking for more bass on HK system

Post by McTrucky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:32 am

Hi all, have searched but not found what I am looking for (inability to use HK as a key word while searching doesn't help.

I have the HK system with front centre delete. And am largely happy. What I miss is bass extension,.

So... If I swap the subs for focal,will this actually achieve what I want? More inclined to think it is lacking power, and an amp upgrade is needed. But is this possible on the HK system? Isn't it a fancy oem only link from the head unit?

Or, is there a way to bi-amp? Maybe having a dedicated amp for the subs using a line in from the HK amp?
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Looking for more bass on HK system

Post by McTrucky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:54 am

Anyone??
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Chrome Dome
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chrome Dome » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 am

Posts I’ve read from people who’ve gone down the direct sub replacement route suggest that the slight gains aren’t worth the cost.
I don’t think the underseat enclosures allow enough air volume to move, a boot mounted sub using an enclosure of correct size is the way to go.
F20 M135 in Estoril Blue

F32 428 in Sapphire Black - Gone
Mini JCW in Connault Green - Gone

Beanstar

Post by Beanstar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am

I’m still waiting for my M140i (it’s on a ship atm), but am thinking to do the same, as soon I collect. In Australia the Hk system is standard so we don’t get a choice and I noticed the bass issue too when ordering. I’m looking to swap all of the Hk speakers to focal inc subs, add a dsp, another amp and maybe a sub in the left part of the boot.

I’ve heard the sub upgrade does help, I’ll report back in October when I get the car.

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

I upgraded a mid level system in my e93, using an alpine retrofit kit - but left the standard subs under the seat. They were utterly transformed by adding a dedicated amp. The bass was much better in that set up than in my f20 with HK. The rest of the range, the HK is better.

What I need to know is can I add an amp for the subs - are they cabled back to the amp independently, or are all speakers hanging off the same left or right spur? Is there a crossover somewhere - hard wired to the speakers, or inside the amp?

In an ideal world there would be a plug in harness to piggy back the existing and a new amp - with the existing amp driving everything except the subs and the new one driving the subs. Anyone find anything out there?

If this then didn't give what I am wanting, I could then upgrade the speakers. I think this would be the easiest and most cost effective route. I don't see any point updating speakers if the amp is the week point; and the only thing I have to go on is my previous e93 experience; and the comment up this thread saying some have been disappointed with marginal improvement new subs on their own offered.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”