Connects2 Fitting Kit for E87?

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Connects2 Fitting Kit for E87?

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:35 am

That would do but has two disadvantages
1) if the fuse blows, you have to replace the whole thing, which means reconnecting you Connects2 power line to it. PITA.
2) HOW MUCH :!:

You could go with either of these
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... gIWgvD_BwE
if you want one now, and have a local Halfords.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circui ... Swdm1bDPlZ
If you can wait for delivery or are on a budget.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm

So to confirm that one you linked from halfords plugs into a fuse port that is not in use and then you add a fuse to it and then connect the spade connector from the yellow wire.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Just bought the fuse tap you posted the link too. Its a mini fuse tap and have a 20 amp fuse. Do i just need 1 fuse in the fuse tap as there is space for 2?

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Correct.

For the absolute avoidance of any doubt what-so-ever, not even a little bit,
- Not just ANY fuse position, it has to be one of the ones mentioned earlier. Most of the fuses are in banks controlled by relays that switch off. There are a few others, but start wih those.
- if there is already a fuse in the position you need to use, then that goes in the lower of the two slots. The new circuit needs a fuse in the top slot (at a guess, 10a, but basically the same as the inline one on the yellow wire).
- the tap needs to plug in the right way round. With NO fuse in the BOTTOM slot, and new one in the top slot, there should be voltage on the extension wire. That way, the current for the new circuit isnt going through the original fuse as well as what was already going through it.
- connect to yellow wire spade, completely correct :)

Depending on options installed in your car, some positions may be used and some vacant; it can be tricky to fit the tap in place if there are too many fuses around where you want to go, so you may have to find another position. In that unlikely event, let me know and we'll poke around the circuit diagrams to find an appropriate unswitched one.

Edit for your most recent post: 20a fuse will do, as its already protected by the inline one. And yes, just one fuse if you're using a vacant position, as described above.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm
Correct.

For the absolute avoidance of any doubt what-so-ever, not even a little bit,
- Not just ANY fuse position, it has to be one of the ones mentioned earlier. Most of the fuses are in banks controlled by relays that switch off. There are a few others, but start wih those.
- if there is already a fuse in the position you need to use, then that goes in the lower of the two slots. The new circuit needs a fuse in the top slot (at a guess, 10a, but basically the same as the inline one on the yellow wire).
- the tap needs to plug in the right way round. With NO fuse in the BOTTOM slot, and new one in the top slot, there should be voltage on the extension wire. That way, the current for the new circuit isnt going through the original fuse as well as what was already going through it.
- connect to yellow wire spade, completely correct :)

Depending on options installed in your car, some positions may be used and some vacant; it can be tricky to fit the tap in place if there are too many fuses around where you want to go, so you may have to find another position. In that unlikely event, let me know and we'll poke around the circuit diagrams to find an appropriate unswitched one.

Edit for your most recent post: 20a fuse will do, as its already protected by the inline one. And yes, just one fuse if you're using a vacant position, as described above.
You my Sir are an absolute legend. Guys like yourself make these forums worthwhile. Very helpful and detailed descriptions. I am going to route the connects2 fitting kit and inline fuse this afternoon/evening but not connect it up to original harness or permanent 12v, just get everything fitted tidy etc and see if I need to do anymore cutting for the head unit.

Did notice yesterday that there isn't a lot of space at the back of the headunit and the new ribbon cable supplied struggles to route under/up and over the headunit to the air con control panel.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Positions 2 and 3 are available. Both have voltage of near 12v getting to them. So going to plug in the fuse tap with fuse and then test extension cable

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Do you know the best way to remove the A pillar trim as i need to route my DAB ariel wire and connect to chassis?

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:18 pm

This should help
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... ts/I3pzJC1

The "special tool" is an old credit card!

FOLLOW THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS. Airbags can kill (and thats not being over dramatic).

Do you actually need to remove the trim? I have dashcam wiring that runs under the door seal up to the headlining, virtually invisible even without removing the trim.

Good luck buddy.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Well stereo is all fitted and working with steering wheel controls. Made a massive improvement to the audio quality. Just need to tidy some wires up behind the glovebox. Then take centre console out to run my usb cable to the armrest and the route DAB ariel.

The DAB ariel has to be connected to the chassis and stuxk to the windscreen, so A Pillar is only way they recommend fitting them.

Thats what i was concerned about so waited for a little advice. Got 2 clips to pop but top one seemed like a lot bigger clip. Will read the guide and have a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, will post some pictures up when i get on my PC

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Good work! Looks like you've done the hard work, on the home straight now. Congrats.

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Got the DAB ariel run up the A pillar though its like its designed for left hand driver vehicle when you compare to diagram, but still works great.

Only issue o have is my reverse sensor chime isnt working. Its wired up as per instructions so not sure why.

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Just the reverse, or all the noises? If you move with the seatbelt not connected, or the door open, does it make any sound?

hulmie

Post by hulmie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm

I have reverse sensor noise now but no warning sounds for seatbelt or door open.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”