Upgrading Subs on F20 LCI

Check here to find out more about ICE, Satellite Navigation, Telecoms etc.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Upgrading Subs on F20 LCI

Post by steveespania » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry for adding yet another post on the above but having done loads of research on the above, none of the posts on this or other forums seem to give me the answers I'm looking for.

My 118d has business head unit with 6 speakers, 2 in the doors, 2 subs under drivers/passenger seats and 2 at the back by the parcel shelf. I have upgraded the door speakers to Eton b100xw co-ax. The mid and treble have been vastly improved but the bass is still awful due in most part I think to the shallow/poor quality standard subs.

Can anyone who has upgraded their subs recommend a particular make/model that will fit in the standard enclosures that gives a worthwhile improvement. I do have reasonable diy skills so could cope with some fabrication. Also, anyone got any recommendations for a suitable 2 channel amp and where/how to fit it.
2016 118d Advantage Navi Auto, Glacier Silver, LED Headlights, Eton b100xw door speakers.

surayne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Upgrading Subs on F20 LCI

Post by surayne » Sun May 21, 2017 10:12 pm

I've just fitted the Eton B150 USB woofers (well, one of them so far due to time constraints!). They're not drop-in replacements as they were made for the E-series cars, you need to cut a slightly larger hole using tin snips but it's pretty straightforward.

Details and pics here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1066056
The original woofers will still fit after modification so you can return the car to stock if needed.

Eton do make a drop-in replacement for the F20, the B195 Neo. However people who have compared the two say that the quality of the 150 is much better. They do need a decent amount of power, 150w is ideal. I'm looking at the Alpine PDX line or possibly JL Audio.

Alternatively Focal do a drop-in replacement called the IFBMW-SUB.
M140i, Sports Auto, Alpine White, Black Dakota Leather, Pro Media, Driver Comfort Package (Rear), seat heating, high-gloss black interior trim. Audio upgrade with Eton speakers, Helix DSP, Alpine & Kenwood amps & JL Audio sub

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks surayne, some useful tips there. I have read some reviews of the Focal IFBMW-SUB and Eton B195 Neo, and they don't come out very well. Do you know if the 3 series sub enclosures are the same as the ones in the 1 series? I'm still unsure where is the best place to fit an amp as I don't want to run wiring to the boot and back again.
2016 118d Advantage Navi Auto, Glacier Silver, LED Headlights, Eton b100xw door speakers.

surayne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by surayne » Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 am

Not sure if the enclosures are the same but I had to modify mine in the exact way he described, so they're very similar at least. I think the consensus is that if you really want decent bass, a dedicated sub is the only solution. The 8" underseat drivers are only really for midbass.

I've just picked up a JL Audio 10TW3 and plan to install it in a fitted fibreglass enclosure in the boot (from an eBay seller called Visual Ice). It should be reasonably discreet but I'm hoping it will fill out the bottom end nicely. There is an argument for leaving the underseat woofers stock and just adding the boot sub.

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks again surayne, more good advice and something else to think about before spending hard earned cash. Visual Ice also does an enclosure for the F20, so that may well be a better option, I'll think on.

surayne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by surayne » Sat May 27, 2017 8:11 am

Update: I've now installed both underseats. The stock amp is completely incapable of driving the Eton B150s. If anything the bass is now worse! So my advice would be to skip replacing the underseat woofers UNLESS you are going to amp them and just add a boot sub with a suitable amp.

I'm doing both, will start a build thread once I get the rest of my components.
M140i, Sports Auto, Alpine White, Black Dakota Leather, Pro Media, Driver Comfort Package (Rear), seat heating, high-gloss black interior trim. Audio upgrade with Eton speakers, Helix DSP, Alpine & Kenwood amps & JL Audio sub

steveespania
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by steveespania » Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 pm

That's good information surayne, I've not done anything yet and am already thinking about using one of Visual Ice's enclosures, a decent sub and amp in the boot. Wouldn't lose a lot of space and thinking that would give a worthwhile improvement. I'll follow your thread with interest.

Return to “In Car Entertainment, Communication & Sat Nav”