Newbie with a 130i (E87)

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

Dalto

Newbie with a 130i (E87)

Post by Dalto » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:05 am

Hello all - First post here!

No idea if this is the right area for this, so apologies if it isn't! Thought I'd introduce myself and my new (to me) E87 130i. You may well recognise the car as it was being sold by Wil on here. I've been a bit late starting this thread as I infact bought the car at the start of the month.

This is a welcome return to RWD for me. I thought I'd give a FWD 'Hot Hatch', in the form of an Abarth 500, a go after the sale of my Elise at the start of the year, but it was evident by July that I wasn't bonding with it, so decided to get rid.

My choice was narrowed down to either a 130i (pre facelift) or Z4 3.0 SI Coupe. Both different, but both excellent in their own ways. A couple of friends of mine also have 2005 130i's, and their nagging finally paid off when I got this ;)

So far, things have been going well. I've clocked up around 2000 miles so far. 1200 of those were driving to Cologne and the Nürburgring last week where it proved it was more than an ample long distance cruiser, even at Autobahn speeds.

If you saw Wil's for sale thread, you'll know that the car has been well looked after, and mechanically, is possibly in better condition than some 50k/60k mile cars. In the last two years it's had a new clutch, new suspension, new brakes all round and the renowned water pump replaced (with some other vanos stuff I believe), and generally not had a penny spared.

I've got a few things planned myself. With some help from my friends, we removed the carbon fibre effect wrap from the trim (I love the silver trim personally). The original kidney grills were a bit grimy after 100,000 miles, but have cleaned up nicely. New wheel centre caps and bonnet and boot badges are awaiting fitting (any advice on how to change the boot latch one on an E87?) I also finally got around to fitting my number plate last night. Now the car really feels like it's mine :)

At some point I'd like to replace the front tyres (Rainsports) to match the rears (Sportmax). In the future I'd imagine Pilot Sport's will be going on. I'd also like to have a full geo, alignment and balancing done as I do find the front end slightly 'nervous' when pushing on, and there is a slight pull to the left.

I'm also planning to do a detailing session to sort out some of the swirl marks. The front & rear bumpers need a respray, but that'll be done in due course.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Here's some rubbish photos:

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Newbie with a 130i (E87)

Post by marco_polo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:34 am

Hello and Welcome, glad to see you're taking care of her. :thumbs:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

Hi, nice 130i. You might want to sign up to the 130i Facebook group too.
The boot badge is only held on with double sided tape, it will lever off from the bottom edge with a screwdriver blade or similar.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

Dalto

Post by Dalto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:50 am

Hi both - Apologies for replying late. Thanks for the welcome :D

The car has had the original kidney grills and badges put on. It looks a million times better now! The tailgate badge turned out to be a doddle to remove, I think the glue was getting old becuase it more or less fell off. However, as it turns out the rear badge is fitted very differently to the front, and not wanting to bodge the job, I ended up paying the BMW premium for a new one.

I'll get some decent photos soon

holland130i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by holland130i » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am

great car! welcome!

:)

Mark.

Triggsy

Post by Triggsy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:40 pm