Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, marco_polo

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am
I'm greatly enjoying/respecting your honesty. :thumbs: So often on forums, folks will make changes and announce they've all been 100% positive, and their car is now the best thing since xHamster.
Thanks Marco, appreciate the comments and your contribution to getting things right. (or as close as possible!)
M140i road & track project

‘66 M140i Black 3dr Auto, 459bhp
Lots of chassis mods to make it useable!

Other fun stuff — MX2000 ‘charged Honda-powered MX5 / ITB’d vvt-swapped MX5 / CR-X Si vtec swapped

Circuit:Driver YouTube

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Matt Scarbro wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 pm
With regards to the brakes and to a degree some of the more involved chassis upgrades, there is a point at which I can’t justify too much additional expenditure. I had always planned most of the mods I’ve done so far and considered roughly what I’ve spent so far to make the 140 a good value for money choice. One thing I won’t be doing is spending much more and turning this into a 1
Series that’s cost as much as a comparable M2
!! :lol:

So for the brakes I’m confident that with a proper track pad it will work just fine at the track, and I’m hopeful that I can find some better feel too (again I think the old discs are to blame here).
Matt - very wise.

Agree - decent pads c/w decent fluid and ensuring some cool air is getting to front spindles [cheap but effective stuff ie cooling duct covers [if fitted] are removed plus perhaps some nifty 3" flexi ducting]

BP
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post by Matt Scarbro » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Last weekend we went up to Newcastle for a car weekend and drive out to the Lake District across some excellent roads.

Friday night saw a foolish food challenge (bloody idiot)...

After such mild weather Saturday’s drive out brought the first snow I’ve seen all winter...

Ian had suggested putting the CrossClimates back on, which would have been ideally suited!! Did I listen?...
Did I hell! Image

So I had 255 width AD08Rs to slide across the snow and aquaplane across the huge puddles!!

Conditions weren’t good but we didn’t run into any problems and by the afternoon it was just heavy rain and lots of standing water.

The highlight for me was chasing Keith in his A45 AMG up the Hartside Pass. He knows the road and is no mug behind the wheel, so I was surprised to all but stay with him to the top. Of course the 140 is faster in a straight line, but I fully expected him to disappear on such a challenging road in these conditions. Perhaps a sign that the chassis improvements have been beneficial, and most definitely great fun!

The evening brought go-karting and with two of the party owning their own race karts, I considered third and half an hour tussling with them a victory! Image

Quite typically Sunday brought perfect sunshine that would have been perfect for the drive out, but it was a great time nonetheless and everyone returned home in one piece and without issues!

It was so nice to be in such a comfortable and practical, yet utterly potent and capable for a trip like this. It really is such a perfect partner for these weekends away!
It recorded one of the best mpgs of any car on the trip too!! ImageImage

A couple of people that passengered with me commented on how the mods have added a lot, without really jeopardised the car in any way, which is exactly what I have been aiming for, and not terribly easy to achieve!
I know having driven it back to back that there’s a bit more road noise, that the top mounts do make a little noise and that the exhaust can feel a touch loud occasionally, but generally speaking, it has retained it’s brilliance as such a useable daily driven car. Just with an even more monstrous alter ego when called upon! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other fun stuff — MX2000 ‘charged Honda-powered MX5 / ITB’d vvt-swapped MX5 / CR-X Si vtec swapped

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post by Matt Scarbro » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm

An uncharacteristically aesthetic update today, following a trip to M-Tec Dynamics near Sheffield yesterday.

I went for a fairly simple 5 piece trim set, wrapped in a (perhaps daring for me) faux alcantara/ flocked kind of finish over gloss red for the main trim panels and a matte carbon effect for the handles and centre panel.

I was a bit nervous about the carbon effect bits as I don’t really like fake carbon, but this far enough away from the real think to clearly just be an effect rather than imitation and I think it looks great.

90% of the time I really like the flocky/red bits too, and they’re a huge improvement over the aluminium hex trims that I detest!
The other 10% of the time I wonder if it’s a bit garish, but I must remember it’s a hot hatch not a 6 series!! Image

A tip of the hat to Mark at M-Tec, he offers a professional service that he takes an awful lot of pride in and guarantees his work for the lifetime of the car.

He also rolled the front arches for me to make room for the F80 LCAs without worrying about clearance or having to run more negative camber than I want on the road. Another good job so they can soon go on. Image

Samp4856
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Samp4856 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:18 pm

good god man, this thread just made me hungry! how on earth did you fit all that in!
M140 Shadow edition manual lots of goodies! :spotman:
Stage 1 map 428bhp 616nm

Heavily modfied mk3 mx5 for track use

Youtube channel link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFdFgA ... xj2HIStv3w (warning boring car stuff :lol: )

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post by Matt Scarbro » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:38 pm

I’ve got a bit of a car ‘weekend’ coming up soon, have booked Cadwell on the 25th, karting, tinkering and eating on the 26th and Santa Pod on the 27th with another car club I’m part of.

So I need to get the 140 sorted, plan of attack is as follows...

-Have F80 LCAs fitted along with under body brace.
Going to get the exhaust mid-pipe swapped back to standard at the same time for a bit more subtlety.

-Fit new discs and pads.
I’ve gone for oem discs (£360) and Ferodo DS UNO pads (£185) for the front, I’ll leave the Stoptech Sports (£60) on the rear and just resurface them for the new discs.

-Alignment.
I haven’t booked this yet but plan on using Geoff Steel who come well reputed and aren’t too far from me.

In the meantime check out my super sophisticated trackday mods inside the car! Image

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matt Scarbro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 am

Front pads are here, good service from Tim at Circuit Supplies, initially sent out the wrong pads but rectified within a day. Image

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:41 am

Interested to see how you find the DS Uno, ive read lots of good things about them so hopefully they work ok for you, only real negatives ive heard is lifespan can be a bit short if running lots of track compared to our pads, but for what you do with car it should not be too much of an issue.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matt Scarbro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:41 am
Interested to see how you find the DS Uno, ive read lots of good things about them so hopefully they work ok for you, only real negatives ive heard is lifespan can be a bit short if running lots of track compared to our pads, but for what you do with car it should not be too much of an issue.
Thanks Ian, appreciate that, such a balancing act with these choices. I’ve been told the same regards lifespan so will have to see how they fare, I’m planning a few trackdays in the next few months so will soon find out. :thumbs:

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Matt’s Road & Track m140

Post by Matt Scarbro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:49 am

Finally got the perfect storm of a free day, decent weather and no man flu, so got the new bumper fitted along with myriad new parts to replace everything damaged by the deer all those months back.

I’ve ended up replacing quite a few bits that didn’t really need replacing, but this is the most valuable car I’ve ever actually owned and one that I love, so I wanted it to be perfect.

Not a cheap exercise, but it’s all sorted now and the car is better than before deergate!

I took the opportunity to make and fit some stone protection for the front grilles, I do like the Zunsport bits, but couldn’t justify the £££, so £10 worth of black mesh has achieved the same thing.

(Excuse the state of the car, it seems everywhere I go at the moment there’s building work going on and it’s constantly covered in dust!)

MartijnGizmo

Post by MartijnGizmo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am

Looks better than the Zunsport IMHO! 8)

Matt Scarbro
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matt Scarbro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am

MartijnGizmo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am
Thanks Martijn, although not quite as simple to instal! :lol:

Samp4856
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Samp4856 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 pm

we are going to have to plan a track day in the mlites ;)!
M140 Shadow edition manual lots of goodies! :spotman:
Stage 1 map 428bhp 616nm

Heavily modfied mk3 mx5 for track use

Youtube channel link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFdFgA ... xj2HIStv3w (warning boring car stuff :lol: )

M140irocket

Post by M140irocket » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Matt Scarbro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am
MartijnGizmo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am
Thanks Martijn, although not quite as simple to instal! :lol:
Hello Mat sorry to hijack your thread, but what I’m wondering is did the 255 wide tyres make a good bit of difference on both ends of the car, and along with the M4 lower arms with the Ts make a bit better feeling at the front 👍 cheers bud good write up 👌

topuphere666

Post by topuphere666 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Quick trip to Tesco this evening, come outside and see a stunning 140 next to mine and realise it’s Matts’!!

Cars looking great buddy and sounds even better! (Matt’s is on the left as you look at it!!)

F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

Return to “Members Cars”