Lippo's E82 120d with retrofit BT, CC, Leather & Xenons

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: marco_polo, Rich196, babybmwadmin, Producethis, Lambster

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC, Leather & Depo DRLs

Post by Lippo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks, not bad for someone who's closer to 50 than 40 :lol:
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Retrofit OEM Xenon's.
My Ride

LOWE82
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by LOWE82 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:26 pm

It's nice to have a hobby even at your old age :lol:
120d se (177bhp)-120mm adjustable coilovers,Rolled arches,Bola TX304 18" staggered wheels,Nankang ts-1 tyres,BMWP shifter,BMWP front bumper,P-type rear spoiler,Dark line rear lights & Zorstec custom tailpipes.

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by redwizard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:09 am

LOWE82 wrote:It's nice to have a hobby even at your old age :lol:
Hmmm.... :roll:
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 pm

redwizard wrote:
LOWE82 wrote:It's nice to have a hobby even at your old age :lol:
Hmmm.... :roll:
:lol: :lol:
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Retrofit OEM Xenon's.
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 pm

A little update on the car. I've had it 6 years now and have clocked up over 172300 miles. It still feels fine, great to drive and touch wood, no issues that need sorting.

I replaced the battery in February as the stop/start was getting a little sluggish unless I charged up the battery. Now I have the new one, there's a definite improvement in stop/start and the Depo's not flickering when the car restarts.

I was on the house roof last year, mucking around with a satellite dish when a gust of wind took it. I watched it slide slowly down the roof, 1 tile at a time until it disappeared over the gutter. A second later I heard a loud smash but I couldn't see what had happened. I got down from the roof and saw that there was a large dent in the bonnet! Not managed to get it sorted yet. I can't see it from the drivers seat and it doesn't bother me.

I had an issue with the rear suspension in May. The car had a rattle which quickly escalated in a banging everytime I went over a bump. I stripped the suspension and found the suspension caps and bump stops were knackered. Bought replacements for both sides and the car was fixed. Here's a pic of the original and new cap. Sorry for the boring post, not much else going on this the car!

The car is very well looked after still. Engine oil change every 10k and I've recently replaced the diff oil about 2 months ago (for the second time) and did the gearbox oil about 4 months ago (for the third time). It's washed and polished with decent stuff regularly and still looks good (to me anyway). No plans on changing for another 2 years at least. I'll post some pics soon.
My Ride

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 pm

It's always good to hear from someone who keeps their car for a decent time.

Why anyone should change a decent car within 3 years is beyond me.

E87 120d's are almost becoming a rarity on here - I still get great fun chucking mine around whenever I drive it, - no poncy Eco (or any other) mode here.
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin, Poplar Grey trim

B NEGATIVE
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by B NEGATIVE » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 pm

redwizard wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 pm
It's always good to hear from someone who keeps their car for a decent time.

Why anyone should change a decent car within 3 years is beyond me.

E87 120d's are almost becoming a rarity on here - I still get great fun chucking mine around whenever I drive it, - no poncy Eco (or any other) mode here.
Agreed. Im a firm believer in high mileage cars for modding,most of the stuff you want to replace is due for replacement anyway!
And anyone that keeps the E82 coupe on the road is alright with me...
'08 E82 125i,stock-ish and driven with intent....

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Mine's only just coming up to 49,000 miles - no daily work runs these days.

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Wow, that's low mileage. At least you know they're capable of reaching the moon and back.
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Well, it's probably time for my annual update! The car has clocked 190900 miles so far. Still running great. I recently had the bonnet resprayed following the satellite dish incident. I am waiting for some xenon headlights that I've purchased - I'll have a go at fitting them. I should really have done it years ago, but after using the wife's Merc xenon headlights I now know this is the way to go.

I checked whether my car was part of the electrical cable recall and it was. I dropped it off this morning to get it fixed. The dealer also checked whether it was part of the heater plug recall - it wasn't, but they checked anyway and said it needed replacement. The only problem was they didn't have the new parts in stock. BMW said the car should not be released form the dealers! I am now driving round in an auto 218 petrol MPV thingy. I was hoping it was a 2 series coupe but no such luck!

I'll report back with the success/failure of the xenon's....
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Well there's still life in the old girl yet!

I'm not quite sure why, but at 193000 miles I decided to buy some xenon's a couple of months back and managed to fit them over the weekend. They are far better than the Depo's they replaced.

I have done all the coding and updated the VO with $522 and the xenon's worked fine. I've also coded it so the manual headlamp adjuster works. Angel eyes work fine as well. There's no errors either, but I haven't managed to get the shutter or high beam to work yet. There is an H7 bulb in the inner light which lights up, but only seems to light the angel eye rather than being used for the high beam.
I've applied all the usual coding attempts without success. I think it's down to my FRM2 NSW not quite being up to the job so I'll look for an FRM3 MAX to install over the next couple of weeks. I did the wiring and re-pinning properly, thanks to bjt on this forum.

A couple of pics;

At the end of June I also booked the car in to the local dealer to get the battery cable recall done. That wasn't a problem, but they found that a heater plug (part of another recall) needed changing. The problem was that BMW didn't have the required parts in the UK and impounded my car until they arrived, so I had 2 weeks with a BMW 218 MPV thing and a brand new Mini Cooper which was a laugh! Back to normal now.

Update; The FRM2 NSW was good enough to power the xenons with coding, but didn't have the circuitry to power the shutters for the high beams. I found am FRM2 XE online and bought that. The shutters worked fine, so I knew the headlights were wired ok. The only problem was the windows wouldn't work properly, no matter what I did.

The new FRM2 XE had been coded correctly with my vin and had my VO coded to it. The problem was the windows dropped an inch and stopped, same for going up. I couldn't initialise them or reset them. It seemed that others had had the same problem, but no definite cure was ever mentioned. Coding wizard Wibbles remoted into my laptop and confirmed the FRM2 XE was goosed. After a look around for an FRM that matched the E82, I purchased an FRM3 XE for an E82/88 from Quarry Motors - they've definitely gone up in price since last year.

I used NCS Expert to code my vin as I found winkfp a bit unreliable. The windows worked, and following a bit of coding, the headlights and shutters worked fine as well. No errors either, but then, I didn't get any errors through this process anyway, I did install led tail lights a few years back, that could be why. Anyway, I'm happy now that everything works, even the manual level adjuster by the headlight switch. 8)
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Lippo's E82 120d with retrofit BT, CC, Leather & Xenons

Post by Lippo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am

Hi everyone, I'm still here!

A year since my last update, and a few things have happened in that time. The car has now clocked 214600 miles and is still going strong, apart from a couple of blips this year.

In April I left work, went 50 yards down the road when there was a loud bang. I thought at first the turbo had gone, so I pulled over immediately. The breakdown truck was called and I was towed my my local garage. As the car was being pulled onto the flatbed, I noticed the front of the car got lower and lower.

Turns out the coils had snapped. They had wrapped around the driveshaft and it was a bugger of a job to remove them. Very strange, but luckily it wasn't the turbo! These were replaced and the car was good again.

I was travelling home 2 weeks ago along the motorway, when I felt a slight lurch and loss of power. It felt like one of the ABS sensors had failed (the car loses power and the warning light comes on) but there was no warning light at this time. I made it home and looked online - I replaced the MAP sensor and the turbo solenoid valve, with no success. I sadly diagnosed that the turbo had blown. I sourced a new reconditioned turbo online from a reputable company, and found a garage locally with a good reputation to fit it. Just a week after the turbo blew, I had a new turbo installed and the car felt great, better than before! Berry St Motors in Bootle were great, they replaced the turbo and cleaned out the intercooler and pipes all for £340 which was incredibly good value.

I have a picture of the damaged turbo, the shaft is bent. I suppose it did well to last 214000 miles. I'm sure regular oil changes with decent oil helps too.

I had thought of getting rid of the car, but to be honest, it costs very little to run for the mileage I do, and it's still really comfortable, so I'll leave it for another year or two. I'll see if I can get to 250k....
My Ride

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 am

Lippo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am
..... I noticed the front of the car got lower and lower.

Turns out the coils had snapped. They had wrapped around the driveshaft .........
Eh? driveshaft at the front? Is yours a custom 4WD version?

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:03 pm

redwizard wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 am
Lippo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am
..... I noticed the front of the car got lower and lower.

Turns out the coils had snapped. They had wrapped around the driveshaft .........
Eh? driveshaft at the front? Is yours a custom 4WD version?
Haha, now you're making me look bad :lol:

I think the mechanic said that to dumb it down for me, the coil was wrapped around something in the wheel arch area, possibly suspension arms. I had to get new brackets for something as well, as it knocked when going over a bump.
My Ride

Return to “Members Cars”