Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: marco_polo, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, Producethis

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E81 130i with stuff™

Post by Nyxeris »

Onwards and upwards now that the folding mirrors are finally sorted :fest:

Added a new larger clutch stop today. These seem to be polarising for some reason? The idea (and design widely ripped off by tuning companies lol) has been floating around on forums for years - the factory clutch stop is roughly 15-20mm further back than it needs to be to allow 100% clutch engagement, so you can improve pedal feel by replacing it with one that isn't. I made a quick test stop out of furniture pads double sided taped to the OE stop. It's not a world beating difference but I like it - the clutch feels a lot less vague, and it also allowed me to adjust my driving position back a tiny bit. Bought a 'proper' rubber one off eBay and secured it with a dab of loctite.

Because I read so many comments getting weirdly offended by this mod I decided to make certain it would be worthwhile - with one little trick I've managed to turn a cheap quality-of-life upgrade into a tangible performance boost for the car. I reckon it adds at least 50bhp now 8)

E81 130i | Build Thread

bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

Nyxeris wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:59 pm
Onwards and upwards now that the folding mirrors are finally sorted :fest:

Added a new larger clutch stop today. These seem to be polarising for some reason? The idea (and design widely ripped off by tuning companies lol) has been floating around on forums for years - the factory clutch stop is roughly 15-20mm further back than it needs to be to allow 100% clutch engagement, so you can improve pedal feel by replacing it with one that isn't. I made a quick test stop out of furniture pads double sided taped to the OE stop. It's not a world beating difference but I like it - the clutch feels a lot less vague, and it also allowed me to adjust my driving position back a tiny bit. Bought a 'proper' rubber one off eBay and secured it with a dab of loctite.

Because I read so many comments getting weirdly offended by this mod I decided to make certain it would be worthwhile - with one little trick I've managed to turn a cheap quality-of-life upgrade into a tangible performance boost for the car. I reckon it adds at least 50bhp now 8)

Slightly confused by this mod

Are you saying the pedal travel is reduced?

Only it seems for mine I have to make sure the pedal is in the carpet on shifts and the bite point is very close to that point

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

bstardchild wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 pm

Only it seems for mine I have to make sure the pedal is in the carpet on shifts and the bite point is very close to that point
Yep, reduced 15mm or so. I still have a bit of lift before bite/engagement which gives it a nice balance of speed/smoothness unlike before where the last 20mm-ish of pedal travel was redundant.

Has someone already installed a bigger stop on yours?
E81 130i | Build Thread

bstardchild
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bstardchild »

Nyxeris wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 am
bstardchild wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 pm

Yep, reduced 15mm or so. I still have a bit of lift before bite/engagement which gives it a nice balance of speed/smoothness unlike before where the last 20mm-ish of pedal travel was redundant.

Has someone already installed a bigger stop on yours?
No idea but I’ll look next time I’m in the car - no where near it right now - thanks for the explanation

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post by SamM140 »

Car is looking fab.

I’d love to swap my other half’s 116 fir one. The N52 is a peach of an engine.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2007 116 cheapy project

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

SamM140 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm
Car is looking fab.

Thanks!

You've got the 116 looking tip top, I definitely wouldn't be getting rid of that for a while after the effort you've put in.
E81 130i | Build Thread

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Nyxeris wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:52 pm
SamM140 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm
Car is looking fab.

Thanks!

You've got the 116 looking tip top, I definitely wouldn't be getting rid of that for a while after the effort you've put in.
Cheers buddy. It’s nit looking too bad. Roll on spring for a wheel refurb, calliper paint etc. Still want a 130 though!
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Gave the car it's first proper wash in a couple of weeks, so here's a pic of the CarbonMyRide black badge surround without half an inch of road grime covering the boot lid:

Also completed the grandadification - the rest of the "poplar grey" wood trim is now in, along with the E90 sunglasses box in place of the open oddments tray from this DIY (minus the illumination as I didn't fancy the additional wiring necessary for a smokers pack-less car).

The brushed ali trim that it replaced was in poor condition, with the centre console pieces both missing enough tabs that they were no longer sitting flush and bumped loose and rattled which was doing my head in :roll: Tempted to have the door handles and dashboard piece (which are fine, just scratched) wrapped in Alcantara but that's one for the future.

Last edited by Nyxeris on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Took a trip up 'north' this morning to pick up a set of rims for the winter from mr Twenny - definitely happy with the result :D

Dare DR-X2 with Michelin Crossclimate +

F 8Jx18 ET38 - 225/40
R 8.5Jx18 ET43 - 235/40

Also did some cleaning, Atom-Mac'ing, GT85ing and changed the fuel pot whilst I had the wheelarches clear, although I didn't end up needing to pull the arch liner for that as it came free nicely with the clips drilled out.

The pics also show one downside of rural life - one trip up my own bloody driveway and everything is filthy again lol
Last edited by Nyxeris on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
E81 130i | Build Thread

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny »

Wow nice!!!! Now that looks even better than I imagined.

Pleasure to meet you this morning and enjoy them, let us know your thoughts once it drops below 2 degrees and below which is where they come into their own.

I have that touch up pen should you decide to visit a kerb (it’s actually a Vauxhall smokey grey touch up set)

2017 F80 M3CP Silverstone II

SOLD - 2010 125i E82 Coupe
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Twenny wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:51 pm
Wow nice!!!! Now that looks even better than I imagined.

Pleasure to meet you this morning and enjoy them, let us know your thoughts once it drops below 2 degrees and below which is where they come into their own.

I have that touch up pen should you decide to visit a kerb (it’s actually a Vauxhall smokey grey touch up set)
Much appreciated and likewise!!

They’re very clearly an improvement over the runflats in the dry at 10c so no doubt they’ll be even better in the wet/cold. I’ve already had a couple of -1 mornings this year so it was definitely time for something more winter suitable.

I’ll keep that in mind on the touch up pen, hopefully it won’t be necessary!
E81 130i | Build Thread

holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

Car looks fantastic mate!!! :thumbs:

I am about to buy one (after my insurance paid me) again next week!! also a black one!
went to look yesterday... car is perfect!

So am looking at yours to get ready... :lol: :lol:

Mark.

Nyxeris
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nyxeris »

holland130i wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:21 pm

I am about to buy one (after my insurance paid me) again next week!! also a black one!

Thanks :oops: That's some well deserved good news, fingers crossed the sale goes well. Your last car was definitely one of the best I've seen so hopefully you hit the ground running with the new one!
E81 130i | Build Thread

holland130i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by holland130i »

Nyxeris wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 pm
holland130i wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks :oops: That's some well deserved good news, fingers crossed the sale goes well. Your last car was definitely one of the best I've seen so hopefully you hit the ground running with the new one!
yeah mate,great news indeed!!
its a 2008 with 110k miles , outside looks spotless,inside also perfect!
all available factory options
h&r bars
m3 arms front
rear inserts
same 135i exhaust i had on pr. car
and...a OS GIKEN lsd fitted...only few months old!!!!

hope to have it next week...look for my build thread by then...

:beerchug:

Mark.

SamM140
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SamM140 »

Nyxeris wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:12 pm
Took a trip up 'north' this morning to pick up a set of rims for the winter from mr Twenny - definitely happy with the result :D

Dare DR-X2 with Michelin Crossclimate +

F 8Jx18 ET38 - 225/40
R 8.5Jx18 ET43 - 235/40

Also did some cleaning, Atom-Mac'ing, GT85ing and changed the fuel pot whilst I had the wheelarches clear, although I didn't end up needing to pull the arch liner for that as it came free nicely with the clips drilled out.

The pics also show one downside of rural life - one trip up my own bloody driveway and everything is filthy again lol
Those wheels look fabulous in the car and really suit it.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Return to “Members Cars”