Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Sackers130

Re: Jonwilli's BMW E81 130i

Post by Sackers130 »

Great write up Jon!

How did you get 35% off?!

You mentioned the secondary intake - is that just open or is there another bit of piping?
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

Regarding the GruppeM noise. I recently fitted my BMWP intake from my old 130i to the new 130i, so now used this on 2 different 130i's.
I get motorway drone, no doubt, in both cars, cruising at around the 70mph. This drone goes at above 80mph when tested on track.
On the previous car I assumed it was the BMWP exhaust. But no, it's the intake as I've not installed the rear box yet on my new 130i.

It's not major by any means and offset by the looks of it under the bonnet, and more overall nicer noise at all other driving situations.
It sounds like the GruppeM drone is further up the rev range compared to the BMWP, from your description.

jonwilli wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:32 pm My car was MOT'd this week, no advisories, flew through. When I filed the paperwork I saw the invoice from BMW when I bought the car Used, Approved and realised that I will have had the car for nine years in January!! That must be a 130i record?
I had my 130i 11 years before buying another 130i. So, ner ner na ner ner... :wink:
130i Limited Edition. No.35
MP exhaust / MP intake / MP short shift
340i M Sport Touring MPPSK
398 / Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Sackers130 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:12 am Great write up Jon!

How did you get 35% off?!

You mentioned the secondary intake - is that just open or is there another bit of piping?
It was on the GruppeM website and also on one of the UK eBay vendors. I am sure it was a discount for everyone if you returned to the website. Secondary intake is piping from the bumper into the open part of the intake
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

MED wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:17 am Regarding the GruppeM noise. I recently fitted my BMWP intake from my old 130i to the new 130i, so now used this on 2 different 130i's.
I get motorway drone, no doubt, in both cars, cruising at around the 70mph. This drone goes at above 80mph when tested on track.
On the previous car I assumed it was the BMWP exhaust. But no, it's the intake as I've not installed the rear box yet on my new 130i.

It's not major by any means and offset by the looks of it under the bonnet, and more overall nicer noise at all other driving situations.
It sounds like the GruppeM drone is further up the rev range compared to the BMWP, from your description.

I had my 130i 11 years before buying another 130i. So, ner ner na ner ner... :wink:
That's interesting about the BMWP intake. I would think standard diff at 70mph is just under 3k rpm? Drone with the Gruppe M is about 3.5k rpm to 4k rpm on part throttle. None, other than induction sound, at WOT. Agreed the downside of the drone is definitely offset by the freedom to rev and sound at WOT.

That is pretty good going on your first 130! Did you buy new?
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

I cannot tell for certain but I think 70mph is 2600rpm ish in 5th ?
I'd head out to check, any excuse to take the 130i for a blast, but lockdown init.

I purchased my 11yr 130i off a friend when it was around 4years old. I sold it when it was 15years old.

It's good looking back through the cars history isnt it, very interesting.
Looking through mine I found:
2012 a guy traded his Carbon Black E46 M3, 49k. For £9,600 at BMW.
And purchased the LE with 17k for £13,000.
398 / Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
Sackers130

Post by Sackers130 »

Thanks - looks like that deal was a pre-christmas deal that's ended for now, might be cheeky and ask if they'll extend it!

Jon - is the filter it comes with oiled and if so do you reckon that will play havoc with the MAF?
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Sackers130 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 pm Thanks - looks like that deal was a pre-christmas deal that's ended for now, might be cheeky and ask if they'll extend it!

Jon - is the filter it comes with oiled and if so do you reckon that will play havoc with the MAF?
It probably is but feels dry. I will clean the MAF occasionally with the electrical contact cleaner to be safe. Ideally I would like to remove the MAF and get the tune updated to run with just a IAT like the 330's. The ECU uses the O2 sensors for most AFR calcs on the N52. Apparently the tune with IAT (or Euro intake as its known in the US) is more responsive.
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

MED wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:20 pm 2012 a guy traded his Carbon Black E46 M3, 49k. For £9,600 at BMW.
And purchased the LE with 17k for £13,000.
How did you find that out by the way? I bought mine Used Approved in January 2012 from BMW Isle of Man. It was advertised for £16k and with a contact in the trade got it for £14k with 14k miles on the clock. At the time mine was one of the more expensive up for sale but being an E81 with most options in Le Mans Blue it was pretty unique even back then. I think the car only has one previous lady owner.
Last edited by jonwilli on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

All the old purchase docs from previous owners in the stack of paperwork I got given with the car.

I can't help thinking about that M3 he traded in..
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Small update, I managed to get hold of a BMW Performance front strut brace. Bought it from a chap from France, Clement, who is on the Facebook 130 owner page. Really nice guy and pleasure to deal with, not sure if he is on this forum, if he is he ought to share some pictures of his E81 which looks a very well modified example with some top shelf parts on it.

Not had a chance to drive the car due to Lockdown. The strut brace is stiffer than I expected and a better product than I gave BMW credit for. Looks nice in the engine bay to :).

MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

Well nice..
I'd love one of these. If you get bored of it, let me know..

I see a stupid priced one on a well known auction site at the moment but it's too much to justify for what I need it for, purely for looks, not performance in my case..

Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nyxeris »

Noice, glad it came through! Another one came up on eBay, cosmetic condition isn't great but the price reflects it so I took a punt. Had that search alert up for about 2 years and nothing, then two pings in a week!
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

MED wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:04 pm I see a stupid priced one on a well known auction site at the moment
The same person has a few unrealistically priced BMWP parts up at the moment. Genuine carbon trim caught my eye, but not for more than the original RRP :shock:
E81 130i | Build Thread
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

Yeah that carbon stuf is just way over priced.
What's the expected value of the brace then,? I would expect 100-150? ?
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

MED wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:33 pm What's the expected value of the brace then,? I would expect 100-150? ?
£180 when it was new, but apparently it crept higher than that because of the annual pricehikes before they ran out:

E81 130i | Build Thread

Return to “Members Cars”