125i Cab; my other half’s new daily

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196, Producethis, marco_polo

Baldguy

Re: 125i Cab; my other half’s new daily

Post by Baldguy »

Exactly the same as my 2008 with 60k on it, 2 of the things I did in the 1st week was full alignment adjustment and mine was waaaay out and crabbing all over the place.. just that transformed the car.. then I fitted Michelin PS4s tyres and it totally changed the drive of the car for the better over runflats.... I'm interested in the airbox and pipe mods you've done, any noticeable gains??. I've also had it remapped and its allot more responsive
My Stable
Daily - E88 125i M Sport
Toys - 610bhp Cayenne Turbo - TVR Chimaera
G90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by G90 »

Read this the other day Sam but forgot to comment.
I said similar before in your thread for your mrs old car, she must love it how you tidy up all her cars. All the little things often overlooked, you seem to have a good eye for attention to detail.
For example, That gear knob and gaiter has literally lifted years off the interior.
Petrol at heart, Diesel in the Brain.. :starwars:
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange (Manual)
Gone 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
SamM140
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by SamM140 »

Baldguy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:01 pm Exactly the same as my 2008 with 60k on it, 2 of the things I did in the 1st week was full alignment adjustment and mine was waaaay out and crabbing all over the place.. just that transformed the car.. then I fitted Michelin PS4s tyres and it totally changed the drive of the car for the better over runflats.... I'm interested in the airbox and pipe mods you've done, any noticeable gains??. I've also had it remapped and its allot more responsive
I’ve not done the airbox lid yet, but will over the next few weeks. The Mishimoto pipe sounds a bit better (hopefully it’ll be more apparent with the roof down). It might rev a bit better, but it could be a pure placebo. It’s not crazy mo day, so I’m not stressing too much.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Plus my other half’s 2009 E88 125i
SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

G90 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:10 pm Read this the other day Sam but forgot to comment.
I said similar before in your thread for your mrs old car, she must love it how you tidy up all her cars. All the little things often overlooked, you seem to have a good eye for attention to detail.
For example, That gear knob and gaiter has literally lifted years off the interior.
Cheers.

She seems pretty happy with them to be honest. She’s mega pleased with this though.

I’ve quite enjoyed mucking about with them to be honest. This has had a few issues, but so far they’ve been pretty minor nd easy to resolve.

The battery will be here tomorrow but the car is at the garage tomorrow, so I’ll pop it in on Thursday (plus the forecast tomorrow is grim).

Another hiccup today....the bottom of the seat belt was damp this morning (the bit that goes across your lap). Whilst feeling, I noticed the rear passenger mat behind my seat was a bit damp too. First thought was sh*t. The roof is buggered. Cue me flapping about feeling the seals, all parts of the roof. Nothing, bone dry.

Bit of head scratching and sweating. Checked the boot / battery area...all dry. Pulled the base of the rear seats up...dry. Absolutely zero evidence of drips / water staining on any trim.

I then started poking around the external seals and I spotted this...

This seal is damaged, I’m guessing from the previous owner squeezing in and out of the car. Bad news is the seal doesn’t appear to be available on its own but a window from a breaker is peanuts. For now I’m going to try a bit of subtle, black silicone in there to see if that stops the issue. If it does I’ll replace the rear window. I’ll check the drainage channels over the next few days too.

On the good news side, this arrived today

Which means I can fit the alcantara wheel from the 116 (will do it whilst I’m pissing about with the battery).
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Baldguy

Post by Baldguy »

Could you let me know where I can get the Mishimoto intake pipe please? Cheers!
My Stable
Daily - E88 125i M Sport
Toys - 610bhp Cayenne Turbo - TVR Chimaera
G90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by G90 »

You'll be an e8x expert soon enough🤣...
It's a good effort. The car itself is looking well, sometimes forget it's over 10 years old and tbh from the photo's doesn't look to be really showing it especially with the bits you've done so far.
As for water. If its not the seals sometimes the body/chassis towards the rear has water ingress. There's little plugs you can pull from underneath the body.
That's just a guess but someone recently posted an issue with an e87,wet rear carpet and the boot was dry etc. They had no obvious leaks so usually comes back to that.
Petrol at heart, Diesel in the Brain.. :starwars:
Current: F20 M140i Sunset Orange (Manual)
Gone 1er's: F20 120d Estoril Blue 2--E87 120d Sapphire Black
SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

New battery fitted and registered to the car this afternoon (in between the rain). Didn’t bother taking photos because it was drizzling and bloody cold. Car starts loads better and none of the weird error codes that I cleared at the weekend have reappeared (5 days now).

I also pissed around and did a bit of coding to the car. Just need to do the folding mirrors on locking / unlocking the car.

Alignment didn’t go to plan yesterday due do the track rod ends being seized. I’ll get it booked in (one quote made me nearly fall off my chair given that an entire track rod isn’t all that expensive). Hopefully the other garage will be a bit more wallet friendly.

The v5 for the 116 has been updated with the private plate removed, so I’ll get that up for sale this weekend. As soon as that’s sold, I’ll get a set of none run flats ordered. Hopefully with an alignment and some better tyres it’ll ride better. A mate has offered me his old B4 rear dampers which are only a few months old (he’s upgrading to B8’s) so I’ll pop those on when available.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

wrevilo23
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by wrevilo23 »

Yeah the track rods are a pain. I recently replaced mine with MeyleHD parts.
2008 E81 130i M Sport: Bilstein B12 Pro Kit, E92 M3 LCAs, THETYRANT's camber plates & camber pin mod, E92 M3 rear arms, Whiteline sub frame inserts, F2x Brembo front brakes, Alutec Drive wheels, 135i backbox
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

What's the crack on these MASHIMOTO pipes, I've seen a few users add them recently, I see they miss a bit attached on the side, what's that for?
Also, what was the part number for your Exide? I'm currently charging mine every week or so, I dont mind leaving it plugged in until the weather gets warmer (it should hold it's charge better then) but as the car's outside I run a lead out the window and jam it shut. Not ideal.
130i Limited Edition. No.35
MP exhaust / MP intake / MP short shift
340i M Sport Touring MPPSK
398 / Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

MED wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:31 am What's the crack on these MASHIMOTO pipes, I've seen a few users add them recently, I see they miss a bit attached on the side, what's that for?
The stock intake boot has smoother/muffler (boxy bit on the right, never seen any actual evidence as to what it does, just speculation), the 130i and Z4 30i also have a sound generator (tubey bit on the left), which uses a membrane as a drum skin to pipe fake noise into the cabin. The Mishimoto boot deletes them both.

Pic nicked from markhurley's thread

IMHO my 130 sounds much better with the silicone boot; the induction noise is less boomy in the cabin and more raw/raspy. It's subtle but noticable, much moreso when you're up high in the revs. It also feels like the car gets a touch sharper on the throttle and revs more freely, but I wouldn't swear on that being anything more than placebo.

Some 125i owners have gone the other way and fitted the sound generator instead, if Sam just wanted outright more noise in the cabin that's an option, but personally with the ability to drop the lid I'd take the Mishi boot every time and twice on sundays :D
E81 130i | Build Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
MED
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by MED »

Ahhh it's actually a sound reducer.... Oooo. That may result in my BMWP intake being a touch less boomy at 70mph then..
It's not bad by any means but annoying sometimes. I don't suppose you can get them unbranded can you. ?
130i Limited Edition. No.35
MP exhaust / MP intake / MP short shift
340i M Sport Touring MPPSK
398 / Adaptive LED / Pro Nav / MPPSK Carbon / MP grills / MP diffuser / Heated / Tinted
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

MED wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:35 pm Ahhh it's actually a sound reducer.... Oooo. That may result in my BMWP intake being a touch less boomy at 70mph then..
It's not bad by any means but annoying sometimes. I don't suppose you can get them unbranded can you. ?
I think the OEM intake has a resonator in it (black box bit). I would guess the silicone intakes could increase drone due to more resonance at certain rpm/conditions. I have Mishimoto intake tube and GruppeM intake and as you know get some drone at 3.5k rpm. Always wondered whether that would decrease with OEM intake tube. As said above I think the car feels a little more responsive with the Mishimoto boot but that could be in the head.
SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

I think it sounds a bit better with the Mishimoto intake and I think it feels a bit keener to rev (but it could well be a placebo). One thing I do know is that the manual box suits the N52 much better than the old ZF6 in my 330 did.

I’ve found somewhere local to do the track rods for semi sensible money, so I’ve booked it in there for the end of the month.

Having been a bit pissed off with it this week, I gave it a clean today and it looks really nice. I think it’s worth sticking with for a while longer.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

Popped out in the car last night and checked the tyre pressures, one of the rears was super low. Drives a bit better now but I still want to set fire to the run flats! :lol: I was really pissed off when the car was a tad slow to start again but I realised that since fitting the battery I’d mucked around doing some coding and not really run it. When I got to the garage to check the pressures etc, it started a million times better. Phew.

I fitted the alcantara wheel from the other car today (I’m a dab hand with with these now). Looks great and feels nicer than the shiny old M Sport wheel with it’s worn trim.

It was pretty manky behind the wheel with lots of fluff and pet hair. Nice.
2019 M140 Shadow Edition

Return to “Members Cars”