Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Lambster, Rich196

Nyxeris
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Nyxeris' E81 130i

Post by Nyxeris »

cjk28 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:53 pm Cheers for your exhaust mod write up, I'll be looking for a garage to do that for me at some point. Are you content with your "stage 1"?
1+2 seems tempting given the flap should avoid looking like a prat around town. Oh and can you recommend where to buy the foil?
1 is a nice all-round improvement and I'm happy with it. I am very tempted by 2 purely because a touch more noise on the B roads, but I'm holding out for a spare box before doing it so that I can swap back and sell on if I don't like it. I'm a bit soft when it comes to noise/drone though!

Any old tape/wrap and stainless ties will do but here's a couple of links - if you're getting a garage to do it they'll probably have what they need in the cupboard anyway :thumbs:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/aluminiu ... -1m-BAR603
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/dei-stai ... -980770041
E81 130i | Thread
───────────────────────────
Click here for BabyBMW stickers!
pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pem10 »

I've got a spare back box if you're interested?
Keep meaning to put it up for sale but never get around to it.
the_soon_to_be

Post by the_soon_to_be »

pem10 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:20 pm I've got a spare back box if you're interested?
Without poaching of course, where abouts are you in the country. I'm looking for a spare box to mod.
pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pem10 »

the_soon_to_be wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:22 pm
pem10 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:20 pm I've got a spare back box if you're interested?
Without poaching of course, where abouts are you in the country. I'm looking for a spare box to mod.
Sorry my friend it's sold
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Oil change, new Mann FreciousPlus cabin filter, 6 new NGK 5987 plugs, new diff oil. Other stuff didn't get done as I forgot it gets dark at 4pm now so that's something for next weekend!

Also fitted the winters back on a week or so ago now that the weather has (finally) turned. Slightly weird running 17”s in the summer and 18”s in the winter, but there’s plenty of life left in the CCs so for now it makes sense.

The CarPro DLUX on the 17”s is holding up great. It was applied 6 months/3k miles ago and the wheels still clean up perfectly with nothing more than snow foam (BH Auto-Foam) and soft brushes – no smelly wheel cleaners or elbow grease needed. Here’s a before/after:

E81 130i | Thread
SamM140

Post by SamM140 »

Those wheels look pretty damn nice for winters!
2007 130i Limited Edition

2009 E88 125i
2019 M140i (gone)
CalvinNismo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CalvinNismo »

Those tyres have some real meat on them! What wheel bolts do you use Nyx'? Or are they covers? The car is looking great!
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

SamM140 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:07 pm Those wheels look pretty damn nice for winters!
Only from about 3 feet away thanks to the refurb guy apparently employing Stevie Wonder :lol:
CalvinNismo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:35 pm Those tyres have some real meat on them! What wheel bolts do you use Nyx'? Or are they covers? The car is looking great!
Thanks, it's definitely jarring coming from those tyres back to normal-height 18"s! The bolts are just the free ones Rimstyle supplied - I'll swap to studs at some point, they're doing the job in the meantime.
E81 130i | Thread
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

Got a nice email from Millers Oils this morning after sending them a sample from the last oil change. Was £35 for the analysis but thought it was worth paying after ticking over the big 100.

Apparently the wear metals are "very low" for the age/mileage, so all looks good with the engine internally 8) Also suggests I'm changing the oil well before it has even started going off so could get away with longer intervals, I'll stick with too often for now though, it all gets recycled anyway :lol:
E81 130i | Thread
pem10
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by pem10 »

Nyxeris wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 am Got a nice email from Millers Oils this morning after sending them a sample from the last oil change. Was £35 for the analysis but thought it was worth paying after ticking over the big 100.

Apparently the wear metals are "very low" for the age/mileage, so all looks good with the engine internally 8) Also suggests I'm changing the oil well before it has even started going off so could get away with longer intervals, I'll stick with too often for now though, it all gets recycled anyway :lol:
Interesting and reasonable. Didn't know they offered that kind of analysis to the general public.
Would that very low wear just be in the short time that oil was in there or a more long term prognosis based on your quite fresh sample?
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

pem10 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 pm Interesting and reasonable. Didn't know they offered that kind of analysis to the general public.
The other question is if it is high wear what do you do? I guess most likely culprit is the crank bearings and you get them replaced?
Nyxeris

Post by Nyxeris »

pem10 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 pm Would that very low wear just be in the short time that oil was in there or a more long term prognosis based on your quite fresh sample?
I think it’s based on age, mileage and service life of the sample. So the levels were very low for 6k old oil coming out of a car just over 100k miles/14 years old if that makes sense?
jonwilli wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:28 amThe other question is if it is high wear what do you do? I guess most likely culprit is the crank bearings and you get them replaced?
You get a full breakdown of the contents of the oil in parts per million, so I can actually see exactly which metals were present and in what concentration. They also give you a sheet explaining what each chemical/metal could come from. Specific to our N52, if I’d seen high levels of aluminium I’d have been concerned about one of the head bolts shearing off and getting chewed up, copper could indicate main bearings, iron possibly wear on the bearing ledges/eccentric shaft.

I’ll sanitise and post the report when I get home, will make more sense than me trying to explain it!
E81 130i | Thread
jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli »

Nyxeris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:49 am I’ll sanitise and post the report when I get home, will make more sense than me trying to explain it!
That would be ace. I might have to do a similar exercise for the next oil changes on my cars. Might not do it for every oil change but maybe every two years which on the 130i is probably 5k to 6k miles and on the 135i maybe 3k miles.

I know some S65 and N55 owners have reported of clean oil reports and still suffered crank bearings seizing soon after.
Mr Whippy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Mr Whippy »

Well if you don’t drive much, and change oil often, you may never see big concentrations.

I suppose the life of the oil is a key variable in knowing what the constituents suggest.

I’d just use my mk1 ear to detect faults, and then when you’re in there just do everything any way.
130i LE - exhaust flap mod - ssk & bmwp & M3 gbox mounts - bmwp handbrake - bmwp steering surround - camber pin mod - cdv delete - koni SA & bmwp front bump & koni rear bump

Return to “Members Cars”