Baby BMW Forum banner

Geoff's M135i - Build Thread (Pic Heavy)

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  GeoffCollins 
#1 ·
GONE

#5 ·
Hey Geoff - great write up. The car looked wicked at Pod this year - nice one!

#6 ·
Menace said:
Hey Geoff - great write up. The car looked wicked at Pod this year - nice one!
Thanks man :D makes me wish I took more pictures of the entire process, thought I'd do the write up because I like reading other peoples, and helps others decide what route they want to are with their cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Flash6289 said:
Nice write up. Need some pics of how the car looks now though!
Going to clean it today and will get some!

#10 ·
git-r2 said:
Great thread.

Grr that's so annoying to see the damage people have caused.

Yes please more pics of how it looks now :)
I know, it's such a pain :(

Got some of it on track at Snett somewhere, will find them too

#11 ·
GeoffCollins said:
git-r2 said:
Great thread.

Grr that's so annoying to see the damage people have caused.

Yes please more pics of how it looks now :)
I know, it's such a pain :(

Got some of it on track at Snett somewhere, will find them too

👌

#12 ·
Hi Geoff, great read and glad you're enjoying your M135i despite some jealous person trying to ruin it as well as some questionable car park demolition derby. :(

Was wondering what size tyres are you running front and rear please? ...as you mentioned the front were rubbing (assuming because it's lowered more than anything else).
What are the specs of those alloys do you know (offset/J size etc). Thanks. :thumbs:

#13 ·
GMballistic said:
Hi Geoff, great read and glad you're enjoying your M135i despite some jealous person trying to ruin it as well as some questionable car park demolition derby. :(

Was wondering what size tyres are you running front and rear please? ...as you mentioned the front were rubbing (assuming because it's lowered more than anything else).
What are the specs of those alloys do you know (offset/J size etc). Thanks. :thumbs:
Thanks man!

The wheels didn't rub when it was just lowered, they fit perfectly! The M4 lower control arms are what caused the issue :(

The fronts are 18x8 ET+35 - Pirelli P Zero 225/40/18
The tears are 18x9 ET+40 235/40/18 - Nankang NS-2R 235/40/18

I've got the Nankangs for the fronts too for track days but they are on the original wheels which are 18x7.5

Hope this helps [emoji16]

#14 ·
Cheers for the info Geoff. :wink:

Just being nosey more than anything, :lol2: ...I've got an idea of the alloys/tyres I want eventually for my car but trying to bide my time as I've still plenty of rubber left on the tyres.

Have you got TPMS?
I have so that's going to be a bit of a pain when I get new alloys as I will have to remove them from my old alloys before fitting. Still a good thing to have though I think.

#15 ·
GMballistic said:
Cheers for the info Geoff. :wink:

Just being nosey more than anything, :lol2: ...I've got an idea of the alloys/tyres I want eventually for my car but trying to bide my time as I've still plenty of rubber left on the tyres.

Have you got TPMS?
I have so that's going to be a bit of a pain when I get new alloys as I will have to remove them from my old alloys before fitting. Still a good thing to have though I think.
Noooo, never had runflats! They are awful [emoji23]

Just get the tyres swapped onto the new wheels [emoji16]

#16 ·
GeoffCollins said:
GMballistic said:
Have you got TPMS?
Noooo, never had runflats! They are awful [emoji23]

Just get the tyres swapped onto the new wheels [emoji16]
Runflats? Why'd you say that? :? :lol2:

My car doesn't have runflats but it does have TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) which I've heard is fairly unusual for a 2012 car. :wink:

I'm going to get wider tyres (front & rear) then I've got fitted as standard at the mo so swapping the tyres over isn't an option unfortunately. The previous owner or maybe the garage I bought the car from put 225/40/18 on the rear as well as the front so I'm desperate for wider tyres.

#17 ·
GMballistic said:
Runflats? Why'd you say that? :? :lol2:

My car doesn't have runflats but it does have TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) which I've heard is fairly unusual for a 2012 car. :wink:

I'm going to get wider tyres (front & rear) then I've got fitted as standard at the mo so swapping the tyres over isn't an option unfortunately. The previous owner or maybe the garage I bought the car from put 225/40/18 on the rear as well as the front so I'm desperate for wider tyres.
Ohhh, just assumed that the runflats were still on!

Ooo I wouldn't want to go smaller than 225, hence the predicament with the rubbing on the front, if i dropped to 215 it wouldn't rub!

#18 ·
Yep no run flats on my car thank goodness but unfortunately some cheap skate (previous owner or garage) did stick some rubbish rubber on the car as well as skinnny 225's on the rear.

Can't wait to get them changed for wider tyres all round and preferably Michelin rubber. :cool2: :D

#19 ·
Loving this build thread Geoff. Helping me with my own 👍
Now I've just purchased some gold heat tape &#x1f926-1f3fb-2642;

#20 ·
Update regarding the Coilovers if anyone is interested, or wants to give me their opinion :lol2:

(Updated the original post)

#21 ·
Time for an update on the coilover situation!

Meister R managed to get me the coilovers in time for the bank holiday weekend - got them delivered to my work and they sat there for a couple of days calling my name, shouting, 'fit me... fit me' which made the rest of week drag like a b*tch!

In my excitement I forgot that I had family coming down to visit on Saturday so they would have to wait even longer! - bring on Sunday morning, woke up nice and early, got all my tools out ready to start and joy of joys my jack broke - trip to Costco to get a new one, I spent a bit more time in Costco than I thought and didn't end up getting back to the car until 3-4, so started very late :lol2: (think you get the gist of how this is going to go down)

Back to the garage and car in the air, time to start on the fronts! - not me fitting this side, not my tattooed hand :)

Never guess what happened next :lol2: Snapped a bolt (I like to think it's because I'm just too strong and I can bend metal :lol2: )

Off to a local garage for a new bolt :redface:

By this time it was getting a bit late, so finished off the fronts, called in a day and went to the pub :)

It's now Monday morning, slightly hungover but time to get started again! - this time at my friends garage, so got it up on the lift today, made it 100x easier! But first...

The rears are nice and simple so didn't take too long to fit them, the pain was getting them to sit right , wheels on, wheels off, wheels on, wheels off...

(I'm aware the locking collar isn't done up in this photo!

I only have this photo of the car after - not sure why I have a problem with taking photos of the finished product :lol2:

The fronts are rubbing still, so I've raised them up as I'm off to Snetterton today for a race tomorrow with the Aston Martin Owners Club (taking photos for them), and didn't want to wear through the tyre on the drive up!

The car handles 100x better now, the turn in is so sharp and it corners so flat, really fills you with confidence when you are driving hard. Interested to see what it's like out on track on a smoother surface. The MesiterR's handle small bumps really well, and it's not a spine shattering ride, even with the shocks set to the hard side! I'm very impressed, but will update y'all when I've had a bit more experience driving on them!

#23 ·
Tyler said:
Wicked read, car looks the nuts

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Got a few more updates to do, but haven't got round to it recently!

#25 ·
MartijnGizmo said:
Nothing like getting stuff done while hungover... :bigsmile: Looks good though, any more pics from the result?
It seems like whenever I work on my car I'm hungover :lol2:

Only a couple on my instagram @geoffcollinsdesign

I will upload some more and explain the future plans for the car, big things planned, just putting them in motion taking a while!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.