Lippo's E82 120d with retrofit BT, CC, Leather & Xenons

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

jap001
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC & Leather

Post by jap001 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 am

Nice car :) and some nice mods so far ;)
Best Regards Jan
2006 E87 120dA
1992 E34 M5T
Denmark

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC & Leather

Post by Lippo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't know if anyone gets annoyed with the fuel tank reserve light coming on really early (at least for me) with around 85 miles left in the tank. I don't mind it coming on with 50 miles to go but anything more is a pain in the arse, especially when you can't clear the warning light to see the time display.

Anyway, this line in the KOMBI module appears to set the limit for when the warning comes on;

C08_TANK_SCHWELLE_RESERVE
wert_02

I just changed it to this;

wert_01

which is the lowest you can set it to without doing some complicated binary coding which is beyond me.

I'll update further when I find out if it makes any difference.
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Retrofit OEM Xenon's.
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Little mod; The trim around the airbag was scratched and some of the finish had come off. What do BMW make these things out of? They should be a bit tougher as fingers, rings, watches or whatever get banged or scuffed against them.

Mine was a bit scratched on the top part of the trim. No big deal, but annoying nontheless. I thought I'd have a go at using vinyl wrap to cover it up - never used it before and these things have a habit of going wrong on me.

I bought a couple of meters of matt black vinyl wrap for a few quid on ebay and had a go at it this evening. Here's the results;

In the process of fitting. Taking the airbag off was no great shakes as I'd already had experience of this from installing the cruise control a few weeks ago.

Finished article;

I've seen some people get slagged off on here for vinyl wrapping some of the interior, and it's not to everyone's taste, but this was a means to an end and cost virtually nothing.

Still mulling over the next 'improvement'....
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Retrofit OEM Xenon's.
My Ride

farook

Post by farook » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:57 pm

What did you do to get around the fact that your speakers have 4 mount points and the door harness has only 3 mount points? I've just bought an 2008 120d ES (with Dynamic Pack). Just bought a Professional CD player to replace the Business unit, and looking to buy some 2-way door speakers until i stump up the cash to buy the tweeter grills and some more expensive components. But all the aftermarket speakers have 4 mount points, BMW blatantly used 3 points just to block the aftermarket upgrade path!

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 pm

You're right - there's no other reason for BMW to do that other than to make some money by selling their own upgrades.

The 10cm speakers fit with quite a bit of space to spare. The easiest way I found to fit them without wasting time making a bracket or mounting plate, which would also have increased the total depth of the speaker, was to secure the speaker using 2 of the 3 mounting points, one bolt will go through one of the speaker mounts. The other bolt will 'nip' the outside of one of the other mounting points. You can't use all 3, it's not possible.

I made sure the bolts were tight and there was no movement when secured this way.
My Ride

farook

Post by farook » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 am

Nice one. I was thinking along the same lines, or looking into finding an appropriately sized flat steel ring to screw the speaker mounts on to and then drill the holes for the bmw mount points. Just worried that the stiff sport suspension and run-flat tires may knock the speakers out. I'll give the easy method a go and see how tightly it attaches. What do you think of those 2-way speakers? I dont imagine you'd notice a huge difference compared to a set of components. Cheers!

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:06 am

farook wrote:Nice one. I was thinking along the same lines, or looking into finding an appropriately sized flat steel ring to screw the speaker mounts on to and then drill the holes for the bmw mount points. Just worried that the stiff sport suspension and run-flat tires may knock the speakers out. I'll give the easy method a go and see how tightly it attaches. What do you think of those 2-way speakers? I dont imagine you'd notice a huge difference compared to a set of components. Cheers!
Well I'm no audiophile, but the Alpine's I replaced the standard BMW speakers with are much better quality. I couldn't justify spending more on components when I'm more than happy with the sound I have.

I'm pretty sure your speakers won't shake loose. A flat steel ring seems like a good idea, but why go to the hassle if the simpler solution works?
My Ride

mrash
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by mrash » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 am

I've seen some people get slagged off on here for vinyl wrapping some of the interior, and it's not to everyone's taste, but this was a means to an end and cost virtually nothing.
Its the OTT carbon fiber wrapping that gets me, that looks good though, keeps it in line with the car. As you quite rightly say, it is a very cheap way to breathe new life in to tired looking trip parts.
please take time to just ask someone how they are. Kindness costs nothing, but means everything.

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

mrash wrote:
Its the OTT carbon fiber wrapping that gets me, that looks good though, keeps it in line with the car. As you quite rightly say, it is a very cheap way to breathe new life in to tired looking trip parts.
Thanks, that's just what I intended. :mrgreen:
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Lippo's 120d SE Coupe with added BT, CC & Leather

Post by Lippo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Just given it a quick clean, here's an iPhone HDR piccie

Last edited by Lippo on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Ride

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Lippo wrote:I don't know if anyone gets annoyed with the fuel tank reserve light coming on really early (at least for me) with around 85 miles left in the tank. I don't mind it coming on with 50 miles to go but anything more is a pain in the arse, especially when you can't clear the warning light to see the time display.

Anyway, this line in the KOMBI module appears to set the limit for when the warning comes on;

wert_02

I just changed it to this;

wert_01

which is the lowest you can set it to without doing some complicated binary coding which is beyond me.

I'll update further when I find out if it makes any difference.
Update; Changing from wert_02 to wert_01 apparently made the fuel light come on earlier at 95 miles, whereas before I think it came on at 85 miles range with wert_02. I've altered it to wert_04 to see what happens. Should find out in a couple of weeks.
My Ride

jpd14
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jpd14 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 am

The car looks really good matey, exactly the way I would have done it - lots of upgrades but still looks OEM! I just wish I was as technically minded as you!

How much did the bluetooth bits cost you and where did you source them? Also, do you know if its possible to fit to a business HU? I've toyed with going Pro for the sound quality but I've got an OEM iPod kit which is only compatible with business, so do I spend £100+ on a Pro HU then spend whatever it'll cost to upgrade from there, or stick with what I've got? Its annoying really as whoever specced the car new on the most part done a good job, but seemed to miss a few "cheaper" options: its got leather, xenons, CC, elec seats yet they've missed Pro HU, heated seats and, until I upgraded, big wheels.

Did you're car have USB when you bought it or have you retrofitted that to?
Damage my car, get a kick clean in the face...

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 pm

jpd14 wrote:The car looks really good matey, exactly the way I would have done it - lots of upgrades but still looks OEM! I just wish I was as technically minded as you!

How much did the bluetooth bits cost you and where did you source them? Also, do you know if its possible to fit to a business HU? I've toyed with going Pro for the sound quality but I've got an OEM iPod kit which is only compatible with business, so do I spend £100+ on a Pro HU then spend whatever it'll cost to upgrade from there, or stick with what I've got? Its annoying really as whoever specced the car new on the most part done a good job, but seemed to miss a few "cheaper" options: its got leather, xenons, CC, elec seats yet they've missed Pro HU, heated seats and, until I upgraded, big wheels.

Thanks for the comments! :mrgreen:

The bluetooth stuff only cost me around £45 from a BMW dealer. My car already had a MULF2 and yes, it did come with USB which made it a lot easier and cheaper to upgrade. TBH, I don't know whether you can do the bluetooth upgrade to a Business Unit, all the ones I researched had a Pro head unit. I've read about a couple of upgrades which included a new Pro unit with MULF2.

I thought the Pro unit sound was poor when I first bought the car, but it wasn't the unit, it was the crappy standard speakers that were installed. I got some relatively cheap Alpine speakers and that made a big difference (along with the sub in the boot).

Nice spec on yours though :)
My Ride

jpd14
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jpd14 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Lippo wrote:
jpd14 wrote:The car looks really good matey, exactly the way I would have done it - lots of upgrades but still looks OEM! I just wish I was as technically minded as you!

Thanks for the comments! :mrgreen:

The bluetooth stuff only cost me around £45 from a BMW dealer. My car already had a MULF2 and yes, it did come with USB which made it a lot easier and cheaper to upgrade. TBH, I don't know whether you can do the bluetooth upgrade to a Business Unit, all the ones I researched had a Pro head unit. I've read about a couple of upgrades which included a new Pro unit with MULF2.

I thought the Pro unit sound was poor when I first bought the car, but it wasn't the unit, it was the crappy standard speakers that were installed. I got some relatively cheap Alpine speakers and that made a big difference (along with the sub in the boot).

Nice spec on yours though :)
I can see me just sticking with the Business HU as the OEM iPod kit I've got is not compatible with Pro, which will add a few hundred quid to whatever I do, and sticking a Parrot CK3000 into the car for bluetooth and then upgrading the speakers and seeing how much better sound quality I get. It's not too bad as is when playing CD's but using my iPod through AUX at the mo has poor sound quality so hopefully the OEM kit will remedy that. It would have probably been easier to get something a bit newer with Pro, USB but I can't find another car with the spec of mine no matter how much money I'd throw at it.
Damage my car, get a kick clean in the face...

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Here's what arrived yesterday;

They definitely are Depo's;

Here's the proof that you can change the projector to RHD (little lever on on the right, highlighted);

It's difficult to see, but it is there.

I chose the silver finish as it's a bit more rare and also matches the existing headlamp finish, so I know what I'll be getting. Just waiting for the LED's to come before I fit them.

And as for the fuel warning light, this came on at 115 miles range left, which equated to 9 litres of fuel. This was for wert_03. I've changed it back to the original wert_02 to see what the range is for that one again. I think the fuel warning relates to your current mpg and what fuel is left in the tank, rather than an arbitrary figure. We'll see.
My Ride

Return to “Members Cars”