Modding my 123d - Betty Boost:ST XTA coils! (pg. 9)

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Modding my 123d - Betty Boost:overhaul done! (pg. 8)

Post by jgalea324 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Twenny wrote:Oh my that's astonishing bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, very appreciated :)

Just remembered that last night apparently I had written a doc meant to show the mods done in the past few weeks (but I don't recall writing it :? )

Anyway, here it is:

Apologies for the long post, but as promised in the thread title, this has been one major overhaul affecting looks and performance. The most obvious thing of course as you can see is that now the car has had the BMWP body kit treatment, including the stripes. I was afraid that the stripes would be a “step too far” but surprised to say that they look much better in the flesh and are not chavvy. Fitted kit includes the front bumper, side skirts, rear darkline (high) lights, and a BMWP diffuser (replica bought from mor-vision). Also got a replica of the BMWP exhaust tips; unfortunately, I had that fitted with the OEM diffuser and since the new one sticks out a fair bit, the tips are pretty receded. Don’t know if I’ll keep it that way or not.

Next, I have had fitted the front 435i/M135i Brembo brakes with 340mm discs. The reason I went with 340mm discs, simply put, is weight saving. The calipers are the same as from the F-series M3/M4 but the latter have 380mm discs which would add a fair bit of weight. Currently using the OEM vented discs but I plan on sourcing some lightweight grooved discs with Project Mu/Endless/Carbotech pads; definitely not anytime soon though as the discs and pads have a fair bit of life left and bite is great.

I have also got rear 135i Brembo brakes waiting to go on since I have the 135i discs rather than the BMWP ones for hatch fitment. Colour chosen is Porsche Amaranth Red, which is a pretty unique colour.

Clutch and flywheel have been replaced (OEM LuK parts), and clutch bite is now as good as new; funny stuff as I never noticed it was slipping before (even though slightly), and only changed the parts because of the flywheel rattle. Along with the CDV delete and the short-throw clutch stop, I have also fitted the BMWP short-shifter and E46/E9x M3 gear mounts; they’re the same size as E8x but stiffer. Gear changes slightly stiffer but it’s a true joy rowing through shifts now, especially with the 123d’s short gear ratios. Bit more work in traffic but all becomes worth it on an empty stretch of road; it has now become one of the best man-boxes I’ve had the pleasure to drive.

Rear E81 chassis brace has been fitted, and I have to say this – it’s quite an underrated mod you can do to your car for small change. Most people would think that in order to make the car “point” better, you would need to change the front set-up. However, after fiddling with the rear set-up (Powerflex yellow bush inserts already fitted), I can confidently say that the rear set-up is the crux of the whole suspension set-up on the 1-series. The brace and the bush inserts work excellently together and the car is better balanced in corners.

Power-wise, I have removed the DPF and the car has been remapped to 280 bhp. Still need to have it up on a dyno.

Sad to say that my journey has almost come to an end; the major mods left to be done are ST XTA coilovers and, potentially, a rear subframe/diff swap from an M3 E9x (manual rather than DCT perhaps? Think the shorter ratio will suit the 123d; I like rowing through gears!). It’s not something essential unlike the coilovers, so I’ll patiently waiting for a local one to pop up for breaking. If that doesn’t happen, no biggie – I’m sure the coilovers are the proper missing piece in the handling set-up anyway. As soon as the coilovers go on I will also have the front E93 ARB fitted, no use fitting it now as it will just exacerbate the downfalls of the stock damper/spring setup. If I get hold of an M3 LSD, a thicker rear ARB will go on.
Hope you enjoyed reading this, and I really can’t thank you all enough for the help provided. Special thanks of course go to marco_polo, who is an infinite well of knowledge; thanks for your patience as I message you time and time again for advice and you always promptly respond with answers!

The car won’t be modded anymore further than this – need to be firm with myself. I admit I have considered selling it and buying a 130i instead, but my end-car has always been a 981 Cayman S/GTS and I want my first taste of straight-six heaven to be my ultimate one, with one of the best straight-six engines ever produced. I will just enjoy the 123d now, save up for some more responsible stuff in life, and then when the time’s right get the Cayman.
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Awesome write up and some very nice upgrades and modifications you've done there. You should be proud bud it looks incredible. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

ricky3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ricky3 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 pm

I think this is one of the besst 1 series there is here, well done mate! those wheels looks great. Where are you going for the dyno run?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Nice work, she looks evil/useful.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:06 pm

ricky3 wrote:I think this is one of the besst 1 series there is here, well done mate! those wheels looks great. Where are you going for the dyno run?
Thanks buddy! They are OZ Ultraleggeras :) Dyno run will probably be held next month or in February. I had an initial problem with the map which has now apparently got sorted - it related to a low torque-monitoring value. That got raised and so far, so good - still need to test it a bit more though
marco_polo wrote:Nice work, she looks evil/useful.
Very high praise from the man - thanks Marco!
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 am

Rear Jurid discs (slotted and vented, NOT drilled), Brembo pads ordered.

Along with front M3 tension struts, and just about to send payment to Rob for his rear Eibach ARB (15mm).

Debated quite a while about the rear arms but it seems that they don't have much effect; certainly not worth the money. That means that the only item left to purchase will be the ST XTA coilovers. I found them from Germany for 1000 euro shipped, locally they cost 1500 euro (without fitting). I'll call the local dealer next month to see if they can budge significantly in price as I'd like local warranty and goodwill on such an item. Corner-weighting and M3 geo settings to follow that, and after that - I'll just enjoy driving it :)

HgS

Re: Modding my 123d - Betty Boost: Ongoing major overhaul

Post by HgS » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 pm

jgalea324 wrote:

A bit of an overhaul I guess :) Thoughts? (still need to fit rear Brembo brakes)
Damn it looks sooo f. mean !

love the background too, Malta is a lovely place

One question, how is the fitment of OZ Ultraleggeras with 340mm brakes on the front? how many mm's of clearance?

Asking this because I may opt to swap my wheels with a set of OZ Ultraleggeras and my brakes (370mm) concerns me
e87 130i M SGM
Quaife ATB, SS Stage 2 Headers, F30 M Perf. 370mm BBK, BMWP V1 Steering Wheel, running on 18" Style 216s

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Modding my 123d - Betty Boost: Ongoing major overhaul

Post by jgalea324 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 pm

HgS wrote: Damn it looks sooo f. mean !

love the background too, Malta is a lovely place

One question, how is the fitment of OZ Ultraleggeras with 340mm brakes on the front? how many mm's of clearance?

Asking this because I may opt to swap my wheels with a set of OZ Ultraleggeras and my brakes (370mm) concerns me
Hi HgS - many thanks for your compliments :) there is load of clearance with 340mm brakes, but 370mm might be a bit of a squeeze. The disc will fit most probably, but the caliper will be the problem; you might have to sand it down. I'll take a picture of it head-on from the side to see how much clearance there is; can't take the wheel out I'm afraid as I don't have any working jack at home at the moment (the one I have is too high!)

In the meantime I have also fit my rear Brembo brakes with slotted/grooved discs:

Brake setup now complete!

rubberduckzilla
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by rubberduckzilla » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Stunning!
Le Mans Blue 135i DCT - Darklines, BMWP PPK Flash, BMWP Exhaust, Style 269's w/ Michelin PS4's, BMWP V2 Steering Wheel with Display, BMWP Carbon Diffuser, Genuine 1M mirrors with BMWP Carbon Mirror Caps

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 pm

rubberduckzilla wrote:Stunning!
Appreciated mate :)
HgS wrote:One question, how is the fitment of OZ Ultraleggeras with 340mm brakes on the front? how many mm's of clearance?
Here you go - these are the fronts with 340mm discs:

And rears with 324mm discs:

Hope that helps!

HgS

Post by HgS » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 am

thanks mate!

love the stripe btw! I may do the same on my SGM with a dark grey stripe... maybe
e87 130i M SGM
Quaife ATB, SS Stage 2 Headers, F30 M Perf. 370mm BBK, BMWP V1 Steering Wheel, running on 18" Style 216s

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:55 am

HgS wrote:thanks mate!

love the stripe btw! I may do the same on my SGM with a dark grey stripe... maybe
You're welcome :) that's the original BMWP stripe, and it should go well with your colour too. Doesn't go well with any other non-whitish/greyish colour

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Some more random photos:

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Well, not much to add except that it will probably go in for coilover fitting next week, and a Quaife LSD will be ordered end of March. I opted for ST XTA coilovers due to the fact that they're essentially a love-child of KW V2 and Clubsport coilovers, with top mounts for the fronts along with linear springs, progressive springs for the rear (according to the research I did). Looking forward to see how they will perform.

I will not be looking for any more power; rather, I now want the car to put it down as well as possible. At first I didn't think I needed an LSD, but scrabbling for grip when exiting a corner or pushing down hard on the throttle in a straight line and fish-tailing really impedes any proper progress to be made as quickly as possible. Planning to visit my first track as well so I thought might as well go the full monty.

In the meantime, just another random pic!

Stu - M140
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Modding my 123d - Betty Boost:overhaul done! (pg. 8)

Post by Stu - M140 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:51 am

Brilliant job. Just read this Start to finish with my breakfast and I am impressed. I have been in the modified performance car industry all my working life so I get to see some horrendous modifications... but this is all just tasteful enhancement.

Love it. Well done indeed. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Members Cars”