My Suspension quest! 130i

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by HaiderGill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Hmmm yes I’ll probably just trim the nose off to shape them like the BMWP ones if that doesn’t work then that throws up interesting qns; do I continue with FSDs or get some B4S and pair them up with BMWP bump stops or get the Birds B1 setup for 1kI need a supersonic motorway setup, have to be at the airport on a Monday morning at 0530 to make the flight. Suffice to say the Flying Scotsman is the first role of the 1er, A/B road blasting is a secondary...

I had the FSDs with the Boge Sachs Sport springs and Sport bumpstops and that was just too hard even on 17 inch 205/50s...
Last edited by HaiderGill on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm

If you change the dampers ket Koni Sports you wont regret it, avoid Birds stuff its over priced and doesnt do what they say it will for the most part, im sure a stock B6/B8 damper would work just as well for half the price ;)
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:49 pm

There are two issue that need sorting out: -

1.) Front end is too soft i.e. front bottoms and compresses too much; Eibach Pro spring and SE bump-stop coupled together don't have the spring rate, If the rebound decompression was less bouncy I would live with it as a compromise between everday comfort plus handling, it just need to handle the bottoming out scenario better...

2.) FSD decompression issue

Solutions to the first problem: -

Get a stiffer front spring, easier said than done
Or increase the spring rate via the Sport, M Sport or BMW Performance Suspension bump-stop

I wonder whether the Eibach Pro spring is too soft to hold up the car at the specified height with the bump-stop helping out? I wonder whether the shorter BMWP bump-stop would mean the spring rate would be too soft before it engages the bump-stop.

Backdrop to this was I had the stock Sport springs and bump-stops with FSDs. The damping was fine but the spring and bump-stop coupled together was too stiff...

How soft or hard are the Koni Sport at their softest settings?
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

hatchback

Post by hatchback » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm

I also have Koni FSD and Eibach Pro-kit installed on my 116i. In the front I have M-sport and in the rear I have BMWP bump stops. Currently I actually like the front better than the rear. The front is a bit stiff but composed. The rear however is maybe a bit too soft overall. I think this is due to the shorter bump stops, which allow a longer linear travel for the springs. I would prefer a more progressive approach, but currently this doesn't bother me too much.

I like the FSD's a lot, so far I've had zero issues with them, although about 75% of my driving takes place on a poorly patched motorway and the rest in even crappier roads. The FSD's needed some kms to break in though, initially they were very stiff.

The springs however are a different story... to me the Eibach pro-kit doesn't really feel like quality springs, I think they're just intended to people looking to lower the car (and get a rake) without spending too much money. The Eibach pro-kit are actually linear springs for BMW E8x and E9x series, the progressiveness comes from the bump stops (Source: TÜV whitepaper). The (OE) bumps stops are calculated into the spring rates given for the Eibach pro-kit, so I don't think they have very stiff rate either.

My advice would be to keep the FSD's and try differents springs (like the BMWP) and/or bump stops. For example, BMWP springs don't lower the front as much as Pro-kit, so fitting them would give some more free damper travel in the front.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 am

HaiderGill wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:49 pm
There are two issue that need sorting out: -

1.) Front end is too soft i.e. front bottoms and compresses too much; Eibach Pro spring and SE bump-stop coupled together don't have the spring rate, If the rebound decompression was less bouncy I would live with it as a compromise between everday comfort plus handling, it just need to handle the bottoming out scenario better...

2.) FSD decompression issue

Solutions to the first problem: -

Get a stiffer front spring, easier said than done
Or increase the spring rate via the Sport, M Sport or BMW Performance Suspension bump-stop

I wonder whether the Eibach Pro spring is too soft to hold up the car at the specified height with the bump-stop helping out? I wonder whether the shorter BMWP bump-stop would mean the spring rate would be too soft before it engages the bump-stop.

Backdrop to this was I had the stock Sport springs and bump-stops with FSDs. The damping was fine but the spring and bump-stop coupled together was too stiff...

How soft or hard are the Koni Sport at their softest settings?
If you get the BMWP springs I tested they are touch firmer than Eibach but more importantly don't lower the front from Msport ride height so give more damper travel, rear one does lower about 10mm though so probably would leave Eibach on rear, i found BMWP springs a touch to stiff for back roads around here but miss them when pressing on or on track etc, part numbers below.

BMW Performance FRONT Coil Spring - 31336788893 (Label T3 - Estimated rate = 160lb/in)
BMW Performance REAR Coil Spring - 33536788899 (Label T2 - Estimated rate = 420lb/in)

As to if the FSD would cope with them its hard to say, should be ok though, all stock fitment coil springs are too soft on their own as mentioned earlier, needs to work with the bumpstop which makes it difficult to get personal preferences, switching to a quality coilover like Ohlins so you can play around more with springs is only way really if you want to fine tune things, i keep getting tempted to get another set but held off so far as Koni sport setup is a competent all-rounder and price very good in comparison.

Koni sport on softest setting is not much different to stock msport but better control, im currently on +180 which is a good balance on handling and comfort, they are too soft on softest setting if really pressing on with bumpy roads and need that touch more rebound to keep things under control but no big issues with ride comfort.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

How many turns of adjustment do the Koni sport shocks have in total?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit]
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA]
Quaife LSD, Bilstein B12 kit, Megan Racing toe arms, E46 M3 trans mounts, CDV delete

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:40 pm

tbt wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am
How many turns of adjustment do the Koni sport shocks have in total?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From memory i think they have 2 full turns so 720degrees, i tend to work in 1/4 turns or 90degrees at a time but you can of course go finer adjustment if needed.
--

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by HaiderGill » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Trimmed the SE bump stops over the weekend to look like the BMWP bump stops, thereby increasing the travel. I noticed the suspension was no longer bottoming out. This is to be honest the opposite of what I expected. I think the extra travel freed up means the FSD module can regulate the front springs compressing better. Either way I think I’m going to get the BMWP front bump stops fitted. From memory I could squeeze the SE bump stops with my hands whereas the Sport bump stop I couldn’t. I am not sure if that was down to age though as they (Sport bump stops) were 12 years old at the time.

@hatchback

Do you find the soft damping kicks in the front? With my pre-fl Sport springs and bump stops the damping was spot on and authorative but it still lacked compliance due to the springs and bump stops. The M Sports bump stops which are different could well be more progressive as it was said to have a better ride on 18s than the sports on 17s...

hatchback

Post by hatchback » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm

I haven't had any issues with the dampers going soft. I've read that some people have experienced this, but hasn't happened to me yet, although I have had this setup for some time now.

I can't comment on the differences between the M-sport and SE bump stops, my SE bump stops were 7 years old and went straight to the bin. However, based on the feel of the car you may be right that the M-sport bump stops are more progressive. They should be a bit shorter anyway, although not nearly as short as the BMWP bump stops. Also 116i is the lightest car of the 1 series, so the Eibach pro-kit doesn't lower it as much as some other models. Maybe that is why I also have slightly more free damper travel.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”