Modified car insurance

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: babybmwadmin, Producethis, marco_polo, Rich196, Lambster

Jon.H
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:49 pm
Location: Wolvo

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by Jon.H » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Had hell of a game the other month Chris Knott excepted, i could not find any apart from Hyperformance (have had unlimited hp in the past) and Flux Direct to insure a modded 118D 13k miles pa.
Even GoCompare only came up with two Flux Direct £423 +£1050 excess and Endleigh at £2655 + £600 excess.
Take most mods off and the likes of all above come up a high as £13k pa.

Vanbling
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by Vanbling » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Any further updates to this for 2019?

Didn't want to create a repeat thread and get told off.

Triggsy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 am

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by Triggsy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 pm

Adrian Flux, sometimes Admiral and also Brentacre have been good in the past

BountyHunter
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by BountyHunter » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Keith Michaels are often good for mods etc

CiscoH
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by CiscoH » Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Triggsy wrote:Adrian Flux, sometimes Admiral and also Brentacre have been good in the past
I'm with admiral. 4 years ncb only 26 with m240i for £625. Didn't realise Im supposed to declare the bmw m splitter and diffuser and mpe, as they came with car... But admiral want dealer options as mods??
Kind of scared to call and update as I've heard of people just getting their insurance cancelled. Maybe I'll call and get a "quote" from them for these parts to see. If not will just have to take the risk for the next few months til renewal!

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 am

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by Trojantrow » Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 pm

CiscoH wrote:
Triggsy wrote:Adrian Flux, sometimes Admiral and also Brentacre have been good in the past
I'm with admiral. 4 years ncb only 26 with m240i for £625. Didn't realise Im supposed to declare the bmw m splitter and diffuser and mpe, as they came with car... But admiral want dealer options as mods??
Kind of scared to call and update as I've heard of people just getting their insurance cancelled. Maybe I'll call and get a "quote" from them for these parts to see. If not will just have to take the risk for the next few months til renewal!
This is a complete coincidence as I have just posted something in the E8x section regarding insurance.

When you say these options came with the car, do you mean they came with it brand new. Or they were added after?

Because anything specd from the factory shouldn’t have to be mentioned as the car was built with it as standard??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CiscoH
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by CiscoH » Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Trojantrow wrote:
CiscoH wrote:
Triggsy wrote:Adrian Flux, sometimes Admiral and also Brentacre have been good in the past
I'm with admiral. 4 years ncb only 26 with m240i for £625. Didn't realise Im supposed to declare the bmw m splitter and diffuser and mpe, as they came with car... But admiral want dealer options as mods??
Kind of scared to call and update as I've heard of people just getting their insurance cancelled. Maybe I'll call and get a "quote" from them for these parts to see. If not will just have to take the risk for the next few months til renewal!
This is a complete coincidence as I have just posted something in the E8x section regarding insurance.

When you say these options came with the car, do you mean they came with it brand new. Or they were added after?

Because anything specd from the factory shouldn’t have to be mentioned as the car was built with it as standard??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MPE etc would come under dealer options and would be fitted from dealership once delivered, and before you drive away. I bought 2nd hand, but I was none of the wiser and would think similar. Until having a Google around and reading here. It states this when doing admiral quote:
Image


User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 54164
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by marco_polo » Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 pm

I think listing options and OEM extras is fair personally.

A fully spec'd out M-Lite (19" 624m's, MP LSD / Body Kit / Exhaust / Stripes / Springs; HK, Adaptive Suspension / Cruise / Headlights, Metallic Paint, Pro Nav, Heated Electric Seats, and so on....) could cost a third more than a poverty spec M-Lite.

Higher value, and more desirable to thieves/vandals too. Pro-Nav stolen, for example:

Image
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Trojantrow
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 am

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by Trojantrow » Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am

If I We’re to spec Harmon kardon sound system and pro nav from the factory if i bought new, I wouldn’t be expected to tell my insurance I don’t think.

But if I bought poverty spec and fitted my own sat about and sound system I would be expected to tell them.

I thought it would be the same for anything. But the picture you said clearly states regarding looks and performance and says optional extras so it looks like you need to mention them

I would think though that they would charge you considerably less than an aftermarket mod if you explain it’s just a dealer original option.

Doubt they would cancel it

Although if it were me ide wait until renewal and get the renewal quote through. It will probably be to expensive anyway and you can shop around and include the MPE and other bits




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm240i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by markm240i » Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 am

Some insurance companies don't consider factory fitted options as extras, and some do. Either way they usually make it clear if you bother to check the additional info, so pick and choose what suits best. Personally I always choose those that aren't interested in factory options or you have to include everything from non standard flat paint etc..

I'm insured with LV for my M140i for ~ £250 pa and recently inquired about the cost of suspension mods and was quoted £32 pa increase. For me that is good as my premium is low, but ~ 13% increase is obviously proportionality significant the more you pay.
Current - F21 M140i Auto, MP LSD, MPE

User avatar
marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 54164
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Omnipresent Post Whore

Re: Modified car insurance

Post by marco_polo » Mon May 20, 2019 8:17 am

Trojantrow wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am
Doubt they would cancel it
You're correct, they don't cancel it. But if they deem you're under declared/insured/disclosed in the event of a claim, they don't pay out fully either.

If you're interested read this horror story:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=88477&p=1148056#p1148056
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - M4 LCA's

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Post Reply

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”